1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

reattaching a rib

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pufftarget, Jul 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pufftarget

pufftarget Active Member

The rib on my old Browning superposed popped loose at the breach end recently. I got it soldered back down but I expect it to come loose again. Rather than solder it again, I was wondering if anyone had tried to glue one back on and what they used and how successful it was. RTV has been talked about for add on ribs,what other suggestions are there?

Chuck

2. Dennis DeVault

Dennis DeVault Well-Known Member

We just recently had a Valmet in the shop that had been solidered three times and the top rib came loose again. We were asked to try and put the rib back on where it came loose. We used a Locktite epoxy that has a real high shear strength and good flex capability to do the job. It has held on for three weeks so far in extreme tempertures and high humidity. The trick to using adhesive is setting the gap between the two surfaces so you do not squeeze out all of the bonding material and cause the joint to fail due to lack of the proper gap and metal preperation. The Locktite epoxy material is H8000. You can purchase the material from an Industrial Supply house here in Ohio like R.S. Hughes Co. There number is 440-498-8161. You will need the 50ML tube and the proper mixing gun with the mixing nozzle. It is not cheap but may solve the problem.

Dennis DeVault

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.