1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reasons to stop shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Goozer, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Goozer

Goozer TS Member

I started shooting trap 25 years ago . Alot of the old timers were still shooting and what a bunch of characters they were . Trap was never about the money for me , yeah I liked to break birds however trap was always about the friendships made and the comradery . At 50 years old now most of the guys I used to shoot with have passed on or moved out of the area because there are few jobs here in Western PA . My older good friend and mentor died last year, he killed himself .
    We used to go to all the shoots . It is hard to even visit these clubs to shoot,
    the desire is just not there . I guess the social aspect of shooting is very importent to me .

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have lost many of my fine old friends, including John Hiter just a couple of days ago. But, I have made many new friends. I look forward to going to shoots and not backward at the shoots I have gone to.

Pat Ireland

3. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

The social aspect is by far the best reward in shooting. I see so many folks come and leave mad because they shot poorly or did not win. I get as much fulfillment out of losing as I do winning. I never quit trying to win but I have never left the club without a smile. I have shot all over the US and have friends at every club I ever shot at

4. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I enjoy every shot I take whether it is in competition or in practice. I love ATA shooting and games alike. I enjoy watching old timers and young kids and have made many friends along the way.

When not shooting or reloading or cleaning a gun, I think about the next shooting opportunity. I have made many quality friends along the way and have lost a few due to death, infirmity or moving out of the area.

Hell, I even think about shooting in church. To paraphrase General Patton, God help me, I do love trap shooting so.

Ed Ward

5. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I started shooting in 1970, and I really miss those days when trap shooting was booming. I made a lot of shooting friends over the years, some of them have now passed away. I owe a great deal to my shooting friends and this game. Years ago when I got cancer, I would go to area clubs to shoot. Once I arrived, I never thought about my illness. Shooters in general are mighty fine people and good law abiding citizens. I have seen acts of kindness at local clubs that usually are not talked about. Will Rogers once stated that "he never met a man that he didn't like". Any shooter can walk into any club in any part of this country and find potential new friends. I owe this sport and friends more than I could ever return to them and the game. I love this game and the people in it.
    Steve Balistreri

6. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

I turn 55 in August and have been in and around the sport since 1964. My running buddy is 87 now and if all goes well we are planning to attend the Cardinal Classic in August.

I could take the time to list all of the people that I knew that shot trap and have died. It would be a large list and some of them I have pictures to remind me of their days in the sport.

My wife often asks me just how long I will continue to shoot and I told her just as long as I can feel my trigger finger.

FRedmon

7. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

I was lucky to marry the daughter of a trapshooter and she always had more friends at all the shoots than did I, even though she never shot. She was the designated "Sunshine Committee" at one of our annual shoots.

She is no longer with us which subtracts from the enjoyment and after going to shoots all my life I just got tired of shooting. I still go and help-out where I can, but leave the gun at home.

8. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Being 60 miles from the nearest club which limits my practice time to zero, and the cost of doing it are factors that make me question why I still shoot....and the fact I can't seem to hit my ass anymore...

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I suppose each person will come to a time when the guns should be put up but I certainly wouldn't look for reasons to quit the game. It is sad when old friends go away but just as sad if a person cannot find similar qualities in people that are still around. (and there are many great people still shooting trap)

Being the optimist I would jump right back in it with the expectation that I'll get more out of the experience if I put more of myself into it.

10. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

This has been a very bad year for me. With injuries and illness limiting me to a couple of registered rounds all year and a slow recovery in the forecast. All I can shoot now (gout/arthritis in right wrist) is small caliber rifles with no recoil and no stress/torque to the right wrist. BUMMER! However I need to shoot and take what I can get when I can get it. Missed all the Michigan/Ohio/Florida shoots and will miss the Grand for the first time in a long while. But I still can't fathom many reasons to stop shooting!

11. maka

maka Member

Shoot as long as your on the green side of the grass. If your scores go down with age and eye sight problems so. Your still alive and kicking thats what really counts. They say you get to soon old and so late smart. Enjoy and take things in stride.

12. jhoward

jhoward Member

My father and I used to shoot all the time. 4-5 nights a week we were somewhere shooting games. After a few years my father was diagnosed with Alzheimer's. We continued to shoot until he became unsafe when handling a gun. Locking up his 870 was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I tried to keep shooting, but it just felt wrong to be there without Dad. I stopped shooting altogether until he passed away. Next month will be 2 years since he passed and its still not the same. My wife is shooting with me now, and my grandson is shooting 4H. Things are different, they will never be the same as they used to be, but if you let those feelings get to you too much, you will be in trouble. Keep shooting, keep telling stories about your friends, and you will keep their memories alive.

On Aug 19, or as close as I can get to it, I'll pull Dad's 870 out, probably cry a little, shoot every game that night with it, and not care if I miss every target.

13. shark1

shark1 Member

Too many good people out there. Do not stop. Go down to Spartanburg SC and see my good friend Harry Gable always a laugh (President Spartanburg Gun Club). Harry is the one who caused me to spend a lot money on trap shooting, and coached me. Sorry about your friend, but out of respect to him you should still shoot. Mike Sharkey, DC

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Well.. As I REALLY enjoyed my days shooting..I'm not a natural.. I must work.. and work hard for every bird..After Katrina..with free lead in hand..I finally rose to one time greatness..A day I'll never forget.. But if I shhot only now and then.. I suck.. Working 7 days a week has kept me in the green..but has left no time for shooting.. So.. I keep in touch with my friends..and live thru their accomplishment by building their "dream Perazzi or 1911".. That will have to be enough for now.. I gave up my gun permit in Italy as 150 Euro a year was far to expensive for the 20 rounds a year I might shoot over there..

So.. I'll see you all at the GRAND..I work for Dan at Giacomo's..Good shooting.. and when things get better.. you'll see me on the trapline somewhere.. All Good.. Mike

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I had to stop for over a year last time, since spine surgery had priorities over my shooting. I'm right back there again, waiting for more surgery and hopefully being able to resume shooting at some point. With the issues I have, it's a choice between not shooting and a good possibility of some degree of paralysis. Won't mention the pain I had when shooting. I'll hope for the best. I have one of the best Neurosurgeons you can find, so maybe he can fix this. I'll still get out to the clubs on occasion, but it isn't the same when you can't shoot.

16. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Slowing down myself with 2 teenage children to finish raising. Still love the challenge of seeing the target and smoking it. It's a mini vacation for me. Very relaxing.

You should have seen the smile on the youngster who shot a 24 last night. Must have been a new personal high as he was chasing down that score sheet after packing up his stuff.

Joe

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

There is no reason for me to quit. Unless I physically can't do it anymore or run out of money. I just like breaking targets.

18. warren

warren Member

My dad shot trap until he couldn't hold a gun up anymore well into his 80s and I plan to do the same, good friends, good people in the sport.

warren

19. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I do not and probably will never shoot as much as I once did but after taking 5 years off due to a bad taste in my mouth I found I missed the many people I had met over the years and started up shooting again ... I'm not sure if I will stick with it or travel like I used to but to be safe I never say never except on a rare occasion ... I can afford to shoot, have the guns, time, and desire but also found there are many other things that are just as much fun and as fulfilling without sitting around all day to get in a 100 targets ... I have mixed emotions but will take it all one day at a time and see where that leads me ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

20. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

The BEST part of trap shooting.. all over the world are the people.. I'll never be far from my shooting buddies.. Greatest group of people in the world.. But.. now.. either I'm coaching.. or repairing Perazzi's and 1811's.. BTW.. The pistol shooting guys are Great people too.. Hopefully.. one day I'll return to the trapline..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.