1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

REASONS GIVEN WHEN TARGETS ARE MISSED!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by senior smoke, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

HELLO"
    over the years i have heard a few excuses for missing targets, some maybe valid, and some are questionable at best. very seldom do i hear, "i just had a bad day". i have a friend who use to have 20/10 eyesite. everytime he has a bad score i hear" i just can't see the targets today". this is the same guy who made me stop on the expressway while going 65 mph because he saw a wallet on the side of the expressway. i have heard, i don't like the way someone on the squad calls for their target. one guy could not stand the puller calling lost, because he said he sounded like a goose. insects landing on your barrel, people behind you talking loud. the squad on the next trap laughing loudly. the trap boy standing on the adjacent trap outside the house, instead of going into the house and loading targets. shooters who have gas on the squad, burp, good looking pullers, i have heard all of these excuses at one time or another for shooters missing targets. "the squad was shooting to fast, or to slow, no rhythm. other trap boys or girls picking up the squad sheets and talking to the puller while he or she is pulling at the time during the shoot. the guy on the next trap calling so loud that the targets release on on your squad. targets were set to high, to low, don't like the brand of target being thrown. way to hot, to cold, it is snowing, raining. the targets are set to long, to short. the list goes on and on. these are excuses, some maybe valid, but after years of shooting, you would realize that this kind of stuff happens. one of my favorites is my colar catches on the butt of my gun. if you can think of any other excuses for missing targets, let us know.
    steve balistreri

2. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

I'm always reminded of the Hal DuPont advertisement for Krieghoff that appeared often in Trap & Field magazine in the mid 1970's with a shooter giving excuses...

a bug got in my eye...
    a bird flew by...
    my pants were too tight...
    I hiccupped...
    there are several.

I'll try to find that ad and copy it here later. I copied it years ago and hung it up in my shop for many, many years. It always got a chuckle from shooters stopping in.

Whiz

3. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

My personal favorite is "barometric pressure affecting target flight"........

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    My favorite is the old guy at the Portland Gun Club who extracts the shell from his gun, looks scornfully at it, then slams it on the ground. As if the shell caused him to miss. (The shells that broke a bird all go into his pocket.)

5. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

My favorite is "The puller threw it where I wasn't shooting."

6. BT-99MAX

BT-99MAX Member

When someone asks why you missed a target you tell them, "I didn't want to kill them all, you have to leave a few for seed".

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Gotcha all beat. I setup our new CVR wireless systems yesterday for an ATA shoot. Guy came in after shooting the singles event and complained that the reason for his below average score was because the wireless system didn't throw good targets. Nevermind that the other 50+ shooters had no problems.

Eric

8. rustygun

rustygun Member

I have the attention span of a gnat.

9. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

I was shooting trap with a friend Sunday and this topic came up. Being from Nebraska and a very accomplished shooter he had shot with Frank Hoppe many times.

He told about a young shooter who asked Frank one day why he missed a target in a shoot off, a rare occurrence for sure, his answer was very matter of factually " i pointed my shotgun in the wrong place". The young shooter thought he was being a wise azz but Frank took pains to explain he was dead serious, when we miss it's simple, it's because we didn't point the gun in the right place.

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

One of my favorites is; I finally caught the bird, with an empty gun!

Got sweat in my eyes,, in Fairbanks. My buddy put honey on my rib, couldn't keep the flies off. That actually happened too!! Got the cold shakes,,, in Phoenix. Too many aluminum birds were thrown. That actually happened at EAFB in practice rounds! Targets looked like psychedelic aspirins shot out of a slingshot. My gun attacked the bird before I did. :) Hap

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Obama made me miss.

12. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

How about "my trigger finger went to sleep just before I called pull".
    Put that one in your book Mike.

13. scott k

scott k TS Member

hole in patern. lifted head.

14. ccw1911

ccw1911 Member

Well I guess I'm going to have to give away my all time best reason for missing any target.

Wind Shear.

I know if wind shear can bring down one of those big ole airliners it can dang sure pull my little bb's out of the air causing my perfect shot to miss the target. Them things can appear out of nowhere and you never know when one is just hanging around to mess up your round.

15. brucestorey

brucestorey Member

My favotite is, and always will be............."I've only been doing this for a year."

Bruce

16. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

Cranial rectal inversion

& I was expecting the wind to blow the target into my pattern

17. BarryA

BarryA Member

I subscribe to the "Shoot & Release" theory.

18. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

My ear plugs were touching!!

19. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh Guest

They were throwing miniature clays.

Those clays are really titanium, painted to look like clay. I hit it, just couldn't break it!

Fly on with your heart shot out!

Every certain number of shotgun shells are blanks.

I drove here. The driver always shoots worse. Next time I'll ride with someone.

I have the right lead, just the wrong side of the target!

Gun decided not to fit me just then. Several other "gun decided" excuses.

Can we take up a collection so I can afford lessons?

Did you see me FLINCH?

I am shooting #8, if I was shooting #7 1/2, I would have got it.

I got nervous because that guy is writing down excuses.

20. RAScott

RAScott Member

AND THE #1 ANSWER IS "IT'S GOERGE BUSH"S FAULT!"
    Bob S

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trapshooting excuses for missing