1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reason why I will never associate with neighbors

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jun 21, 2013.

1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    There is a reason why I stopped associating with most neighbors. This morning, I could hear a lot of commotion around 6am so I looked out my window. To my disappointment the only couple that I associated with over the years had a moving van pull up and have now left.

We knew this couple since May 1, 1976 when we moved in. Over the years, I took him to the Waukesha gun club to shoot, and took him pheasant hunting. When he had a huge tree come down on his house during a storm years ago I invited him and his family to stay the night at our house.

When he got hurt at work I cut his lawn and I removed the snow from his drive way. He taught me photography as he was an excellent photographer that worked for the local paper. On hot summer days we would often walk over and give each other a beer and shoot the breeze.

He had a for sale sign on his lawn a few months ago and from that day forward when he would see me he would turn the other way and walk into the house.

After 37 years as neighbors he left today without even saying good bye. I had no idea that he even sold his home. I told my wife this is one of many reasons I will no longer associate with neighbors.

I have younger people as neighbors to my left and right of me. It becomes very obvious that most younger people want nothing to do with older people. I can live with that, but if you do not want to be sociable, please do not knock on my door when you need to borrow tools or need a pipe fixed during the night.

When I was a kid, neighbors would pop over and ask my mom if they could borrow a couple eggs or a cup of sugar until they could go to the store. If you did that today, they would look at you in disbelief.

What has happened to society?
    Steve Balistreri
    Wauwatosa Wisconsin

2. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I get along great with our immediate neighbors, and everyone in our subdivision for that matter. We have cookouts, bonfires, and even celebrate different special dates when we go out together as a group, for dinner and drinks. Last night I went over to a neighbor and we were talking out in the driveway, and before we knew it there were four different people from the neighborhood having a few beers.

The kids come over and raid the wives candy bowl on occasion, and I find myself being the neighborhood fix it man, and the tool man. Sometimes that gets a little crazy, but it seems that we find ourselves spending more time with the neighbors then with friends from before we moved here.

Just be yourself, and if you feel like saying hi once in a while, do it. Just don't expect a hi back, and continue on.

3. APrice

APrice Active Member

At least you still have the girl with the big bush.

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

When we bought our house the first thing the neighbor to the east said was "I hope your tree falls on my garage so your insurance company will build me a new one. After two years I got tired of him picking up twigs, leaves etc from his drive and throwing them over on my yard after I just raked or mowed so I had the tree cut down. That really pissed them off because it shaded their house from the hot afternoon sun. lol

The next year we put up a security fence along the whole property line which was only 2 ft from their driveway and blocked the view to the west from their house.When the neighbor lady ask why I told her I had been warning her about her husband's actions and since she failed to do anything about it this was the consequences of his actions.

When they moved 5 years later we took the fence down.

5. white rattler

white rattler Member

I would say that you pissed him off and that might be why he put his house up for sale and got the hell away from you. And you want him to say good bye. I think not. Trevor Dawe

6. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

That's hard to figure Steve. I tend to come down on the side of he couldn't bear to say goodbye.

7. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Senior Smoke,

Good or bad, society has changed, you haven't. You're trying to play the game by the old rules & values that very few if any younger people understand today.

Eric

8. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I will add to Eric that young people today are so brainwashed by Hollywood, sports and pop culture that if you aren't in one of those categories you aren't worth spit to them.

9. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

My observation regarding young people, they have lived in apartment complexes where residents strive to avoid each other. When the opportunity presents itself to live in a house they have no concept on how to be good neighbors. The good thing is they are not knocking on my door asking to borrow tools etc.

Robert

10. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

[​IMG]

Senior Smoke,

They happened to society...

11. pumpernck

pumpernck Member

Good fences, good neighbors!

12. senior smoke

Jim Miller:
    I think he was wrong after all that time just leaving.
    Steve

APrice:
    The gal with the big over flowing bush still has not trimmed it and it is almost now on my drive way. I told my wife, if she doesn't trim it within the next 2 weeks, I will.
    Steve

Trevor:
    I did not piss him off.
    Steve

Robert:
    You might be on to something as I never thought of that.
    Steve

13. white rattler

white rattler Member

Steve, something must have happened. Normal people do not act like that. It might be a good thing that he is leaving.

14. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

He probably won the lottery and didn't want to share.

15. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

That's sad :-(

16. 1oz

1oz Member

Never had neighbors UNTILL 3 or 4 years ago .Didnt want any and i'm just that way . I saw the guy walking the property beside me in fact I had recently called the owner 6 months ago about it . Local attorney I'm still pissed guess it could have been him .Anyway this guy subsdivides the property .
    Well I maintain the mile long driveway after a storm the Mrs says maybe you should check on the property next door . Well I said sure it would be a nice time to meet the neighbor and say hello . I pull up on the tractor and i shut it off .He walked over and said hello I'm Troy from Lancaster PA and I was wondering why you put your dog pen where you did . I looked at him and said I was wondering the same about your house by the way I'm Jim.
    Well I've been know to voice my opinion as we have many people that move down here from Northern Virginia < thats the reason VA carried Obama ,DC and Maryland for a summer home and the next thing they want to change everything .You see them on the summer weekends and they are wide open .Me and the wife don't even take the boats out on the weekends for fear of our lives . Taxes go up , the music is blaring mostly rap boom boom and the freaky snotty nose kids . Damn ifI cant figure out why someone would want to move somewhere they need to change everything???
    Its pretty simple I'm here if you need me but other than that leave me alone .I've found we all stay friends that way . Other neighbor says they beat us with the Civil War now they are back beating us with their pocketbooks. Bottom line if he aint trying to b--- your old lady or steal your dog I guess they aint to bad.

17. SBray

SBray Active Member

Steve, I am going to try and give him the benefit of doubt. I think something possibly happened to him that he might have lost face and couldn't stand the thought of telling you. Perhaps he lost his job, his house went into foreclosure, or they got divorced, there could be a number of things that might have happened to cause him shame.

It sounds like you would be a great neighbor to have!

Steve

18. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Maybe he didn't like you.

19. Leb

Leb Member

An old cowboy, once gave me some advice that i have considered to be the one of the best tidbits i have ever received and i have tried to live by it my entire life: TO HAVE GOOOD NEIGHBORS.......BE A GOOD NEIGHBOR.

20. senior smoke

Joe:
    How could any one not like a 300lb fat as- Italian like me?
    Steve