1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reason for Decline

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dewnys, May 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dewnys

Dewnys TS Member

I have been a fairly consistant shooter for the past 10 or so years but at the end of last summer I really began to struggle. My scores dipped about 5 targets in each event. I chalked it up to just being somewhat wornout. I take most of the winter off from shooting and expected to pick back up where I usually shoot. However I'm still struggling and I'm not sure what can be causing it.

I've troubleshot all of the common problems. My eyesight is the same, my gun is the same and still shoots in the same spot (I tested it on paper), and I'm still relatively young. I'm not sure what could be causing my decline but I'd appreciate any opinions that might help me get back on track.

One thing that I have observed is that I don't seem to break targets as well as I used to. At 16's, I get alot of "chippers".

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

One eyed or two eyed?

3. primed

primed Well-Known Member

That's just the suspense that keeps me warm through the tough northern winters. I never know if I will forget the bad habits or the good ones by the time spring rolls around. Keeps me guessing. Might get boring otherwise.

Good luck.

Bob

4. Dewnys

Dewnys TS Member

JBrooks: I'm a two-eye shooter

I did have my eyes checked out a month or so ago and my doctors says that my vision hasn't changed.

If my reflexes are slowing down a bit, what steps can I take to get back to breaking targets. I've tried taking that "half second" longer to shoot and the results haven't changed much.

I really appreciate the help!

5. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Below is what I posted on a thread last week about whether one eye or two is better. There is no eye test that can determine occasional loss of eye dominance but suddenly missing targets you thought you were on, is a good indicator. Go read that thread and buy Kiner's DVD. If you are chipping, it means that you are not hitting with the center of the pattern. At 16 yards, minor or occasional loss of cross eye dominance would result in this degree of error depending on target presentation. It doesn't affect straights as much as angles. The further you move back, the greater the degree of error so that at longer handicap yardages, you are missing completely. As an update to the posting below, I posted 98/100 in a 200 target event last Saturday, so my new one eye style is holding up.

""There are three correctable things that kill scores. Flinching, a gun that shoots too flat and cross eye dominance issues. Just because you test right eye dominant does not mean that you will not have occasional loss of dominance in that eye. While I am sure there are several reasons for this to happen, such as fatigue, it does happen and when it does, depending on the target presentation and yardage, you will lose that target. Phil Kiner's DVD can provide some insight into how you can tell if it is happening to you.

I learned to shoot with two eyes, made the 27 in less than 18 months and shot my first 100 straight using two eyes. However, I discovered that I was losing eye dominance and so 4 months ago I switched to a tape patch. It took me a while to learn the new hold points and to make the right move to the various target presentations. Finally got it sorted for 16s a month ago and have posted 200, 99, 99 in ATA since. Handicap is coming along and will catch up in another couple of months as all I have left are the hard angles on 1 & 5 to get automatic.

So, in short, I am a lot better shooting with 1 than 2 eyes and I am confident that it will allow me solidify my techniques for each target presentation so that they are more easily replicable from day to day.""

An easy trial is to shoot 50 with one eye closed and see if you are centering the targets better. Hold below the edge of the house so that you can see the target come out.

Good luck.

6. spritc

spritc Active Member

When I started having problems a year or so ago I had a very good shooter watch me and as it turns out I was coming out of my gun for no apparent reason. Make sure you're staying in your gun and see if that helps.

But do have someone who knows what they're doing observe you.

Best of luck,
    Steve

7. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

when a person is 50 thier reflexes are half of what they were at 18, and it doesn't get any better.

8. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

"when a person is 50 thier reflexes are half of what they were at 18, and it doesn't get any better."

Really, got proof? Didn't think so.

9. phirel

phirel TS Member

Quick reflexes are not required to shoot trap, and could actually be detrimental. If you do not accept this, mount your gun, close your eyes, call pull, open your eyes and shoot. You will find that you have plenty of time and will hit most of the targets.

Most physical problems resulting in missed targets are based on not seeing the target well. Dewnys problem sounds to me like he has convinced himself he is in a slump. This will result in worrying about hitting the next target rather than concentrating on hitting the next target.

Pat Ireland

10. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

It aint you its the gun.

It aint you its your shells.

It aint you its your choke.

It aint you its the targets.

What you need to do is buy a new gun, new shells, new choke and join a different club and that should fix all your problems.

Seriously though stop thinking about everything and just freakin shoot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.