1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reasembling Marlin 336 bolt/firing pin assembly

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sshotshell, Dec 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sshotshell

sshotshell Member

I'm in the process of replacing the firing pin spring in a .35 cal. Marlin 336
    bolt. I've got it disasembled. It is a flat spring. It appears that the rear of the old spring had broken off. The rear firing pin was not returning to its exposed position at the rear of the bolt. Can any of you guys offer any advice on this proceedure or or is it as simple as it looks to do? Any possitive coments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    sshotshell

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

Sshotshell:

There is a schematic to included numbered parts, prices, ordering information, etc. of a Marlin 336 on Brownells website.

Here is a link:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=774/schematicsdetail/336

As I am writing this, I am holding the bolt from my 1968 336 RC in my hand and looking at the schematic.

My observation is that it is a simple replacement especially if you have already disassembled the bolt.

There are very few parts in the schematic and the part you need to replace is part # 28, the firing pin spring which has a price of $3.09 and is in stock.

I would buy a couple of these, reassemble the bolt and see it solves your problem. I’ll bet that it does.

At one time Marlin hosted a web site named Marlintalk but it has been removed. It was around for several years but some dummies got way too off topic and political and Marlin dropped the web site. I was an active poster and picked up a lot of good information from it. It was as interesting as this site for a while.

I currently have two 336’s in .35 Remington and gave my brother-in law another .35 years ago. Both of us put our .35’s to good use and at one time, a total of five .35’s were in use in our deer camp group.

The Remington 200 grain SP Core Lokt seems to be a perfect load for the .35 as it hits hard and does not destroy much meat. Most of out shots in the Kentucky woods are under 100 yards and the .35 is more than adequate.

I sent my 1968 RC back to Marlin for re-bluing and refinishing the stock about 10 years ago. It came back looking like new.

I clean my 336's from the breech with the bolt removed using a Stony Point bore guide with an optional collar to fit the 336 receiver. I got it from Sinclair International. If you follow up on this, measure the diameter of the .336's bolt which as I remember is .675 inches. Call their technical staff for more information.

Good Luck,

Ed Ward

3. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Replacing the spring should fix it. Any further questions you can go to leverguns.com. or you can always call Brownells and talk to one of their tech gunsmiths who can usually tell you exactly what to do to fix any gun known to man.

Randy

4. sshotshell

sshotshell Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how to put spring back in 35 marlin
marlin 336 35 remington bolt
marlin 336 35cal replacing firing pin

marlin 336 bolt assembly

marlin 336 bolt removal

marlin 336 breech bolt