1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Rearview mirror help

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by 686beretta, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

On my daily driver the rear view mirror fell off, the glue finally gave up. I tried some Permatex i think that is what it is called. Made for rear view mirror, well I did everything it said, went out to adjust it and it fell off in my hands. This after letting it sit for almost 24 hours, any suggestions? What about a really strong adhesive of some type.

Thanks everybody.

2. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

This happened to me in Florida when I was in college. I don't remember the kind of glue that I got, but I purchased if from Auto Zone. It was a two-part glue. The guy at autozone stepped me through what I was supposed to do. He said that it was critical to scrape ALL of the old glue off the windshield and the back of the mirror attachment, and critical to clean both surfaces with alcohol. I took the mirror attachment off and just glued that part to windshield, not the whole mirror itself (it's heavy).

It worked for me.

3. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

It's a 1993 if that helps. I tried the two part process and it didn't work. Also, I also can't get the piece that goes from the windshield to the mirror apart. I just put the whole thing up there when I used the Permatex stuff. If anyone know how to separate the mirror from the piece let me know.

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Auto parts stores have the right glue or the job. It's a fast setting adhesive like Crazy Glue.

Eric

5. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Take it to a glass repair facility. They might even do it for free.

6. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

The mirror on my vehicle had a screw to detach the mirror from the mount. You could take your mirror up to Auto Zone and they could show you how to separate it.

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

As curvy stated, the bracket may have a small allen type screw on it. Here the glass shops will usually stick them on for free. If you decide the do it yourself, besides cleaning the glue off the windshield, you need to use alcohol over the area as well. Try Gorilla Glue.

8. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I redid mine a couple months ago with a kit from Advance Auto (same as autozone). Came with some sort of alcohol wipe that had copper in it or something like that. Worked like a charm, right up until I got rear ended totaling the car a couple weeks later... LOL

9. X Trap 2

X Trap 2 TS Member

93 what?? Make and model needed to look up.

Some mirrors are a pain to separate. Nearly impossible to do. I would take it to a glass shop or auto store to have it separated if done for free. They also might have to clip it back on for you, not easy either.

The ones with the set screw are a piece of cake to do.Ray

10. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Mark the position, clean off all of the old glue and then use a good cleaner (they make one just for that) Acetone of high % alcohol will work. Remove the pad from the mirror. You may need to loosen a set screw, or some might have a spring clip that needs to be released. Look for access near the end of the mirror support and use a very small screwdriver and see if that works.

You must use the proper amount of glue and use the precleaner/catalyst as directed. Put the block in place and hold it there without moving for the specified amount of minutes, plus one. Let it cure and then attach the mirror. I like to let them set overnight before putting th weight on it. Permatex is usually OK, but there are sometimes an economy kit available. Buy the good stuff. Also make sure you do not do this in the cold, rain, or direct hot sunlight. Excess Heat is also not good. A little sun or warmth works fine.

I've done hundreds of them and they work fine if done carefully. Some kits even come with a new mounting block. That would be fine if it fit's your vehicle.

Also, there were some vehicles that had a special coating on the inside of the windshield. It could make attaching a mirror a project. I doubt a 93 would be affected, but you never know.

11. slic lee

slic lee Active Member

Permatex you used that, isnt that used for gaskets? Ha

12. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Permatex is a manufacturer of many industrial adhesives & sealants.

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.