1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reaming out a shot bushing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Longhorn, Mar 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

My 1 1/8 oz. bushing never drops more than 482 gr. of shot. I need it to drop 493 gr. as I need all the payload I can get for HCP targets. Should I try and file it? Drill it? Give me suggestions.

2. goldwater64

goldwater64 TS Member

Brake hone does wonders.

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

An adjustable reamer does a nice job in a drill press (low RPM) or by hand, especially if the bushing is aluminum. A small boring bar on a lathe can precisely dial in any diameter you want. Plain twist drill = last resort.

-Gary

4. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Turn it over on the table of a drill press. Chuck up a 5/8 or 3/4 inch diameter countersink.

Turn on the drill press at its slowest speed and start to open a bevel in the bottom of the shot cavity.

Retrieve the MEC bar from across the room and tape the cuts in your fingers; splint your index finger if necessary. Put on your safety glasses.

Bolt down the bar on the drill press table or use a clamped drill press vise and proceed very slowly. It's easy to go too far. Around 500 grains is just fine and the ATA allows it and the guys shooting factory are throwing more than you anyway.

Neil

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

That's hilarious.

-Gary

6. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

If you use chilled shot, you'll probably drop a heavier slower load. If I were you, I'd leave it alone and drop a lighter, quicker load

Ed Yanchok

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Sure sounds like an awful lot of work for about 8-9 more pellets of shot depending on size. Do you really think it makes that much difference?

Just Say'n..............

8. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Neil, I used a file---and didn't hurt myself. LOL, Gary was right.

9. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

I would spend a few dollars and buy a slightly bigger bushing. Now they sell bushing based on shot size. Any one-eyed-sheep-hearder can manage to open her up a bit with many ways to hurt yourself.

Take a short piece of a 1/2" wooden dowel and cut a slit about an inch long down the center on one end with a hack saw. Cut or tear some sandpaper in strips and slide the end of the paper through the slit and wrap it around the dowel until it' s close to the diameter of the bushing. Chuck it up in a drill and use it like a hone to open it up. You can work it around to make the sandpaper remove material. It will be out of round a little and the finish will depend on the grit used. Neither will matter enough to worry about when it comes to a shot bushing. Powder bushings require a good finish and a more precise method by a machinist or factory made. Good luck and measure as you go.

10. Straight50

Straight50 Member

Mec sells 1 3/16 oz bars too. Will throw around an actual 1 1/8 load depending on the shot size. 7.5 or 8. Don't use 9's or they will way heavy.

11. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

I use a sanding drum on my dremel tool. Then polish as needed using the same dremel tool. Not too hard. Have another bushing for soft shot if you use both.

12. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

I found that the 1-3/16 oz. bars from MEC drop just a bit too much shot. Tapered reamers work well for enlarging bushings. I did them by hand. Go slowly & check often.

Thanks,

Jon Reitz

13. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

I followed Neil Winston's advice! OUCH!!!

[​IMG]

Seriously---call your local machinist and have him bore the hole for you.

Chuck

14. RLC323

RLC323 Member

Get the adjustable charge bar. I know it is no precision instrument, but it is close enough for the job.

When you start with the adjustable bar you can have all the fun of "chasing" the magic 492.18 with the shot dial.

15. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Use a round file. It isn't rocket science to open it up a little.

16. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Interesting: Having been faced with the same issue, and trying all of the above, except the blood letting one, I'm getting these on the Brown Beetle today: (1)H5938 ...7PC ADJUSTABLE REAMER SET, from Grizzly International, in Muncy, PA. If for no other reason, give 'em a call & get their fabulous catalog. (keep this one hidden from the Mrs.) it's that good....grin

best....mike

17. 16gun

16gun Member

A little black electricians tape placed carefully inside a 1 1/4 oz bar works beautifully. Add small pieces one on top of the other until desired weight of shot charge is achieved. It does work. Jerry

18. Jeff K

Jeff K Member

On a MEC charge bar turn upside down and use 1/64 drill bits and drill 1/64 larger one third of the way and try . If still not enough shot go 1/64 larger and try again. I done this several times and works great just go slow until you get the ammount needed. I did this on a drill press . I you have one you need to make smaller use your wifes finger nail polish and coat the inside till you get where you want to be.

19. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Jeffk beat me to it. Finger nail polish did the trick for me

20. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

Just use a step-bit a little at a time from the bottom up---Put the bar in a vise and a variable drill and use eye wear protection---Works great---I needed a few more BBs to fill a crimp---SJB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

enlarging shot bushings

enlarging shot drop charge bar

mec shot bushing drill bit chart

reaming out bushing video