1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Really poor MEC service...updated to really great!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by claybrdr, Jun 10, 2013.

1. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I have to preface this by saying I have MEC loaders in 4 gauges and have been very happy with Ron at MEC and all his help over the past 15-20 years.

That said, I recently sent my 410 Grabber in for an overhaul and it came back worse than when it went in. After a $190 charge for their work/parts and a combined $50 in shipping and a custom heavy duty box (which I never got back, getting their flimsy POS box in exchange). The guy I talked to sounded like an idiot so I gave up. Sent it back so I will see how it goes this time around. I feel sure if it ends up with Ron I'll be OK but time will tell.

Withers Burress

Received it back and this time its like a brand new machine with a ton of parts changed. Unbelievable how it operates now in comparison and this validates the long time great experience I have had with MEC for 20 years, marred by the one recent blip.

2. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

Sorry for your misfortune. The few times over many years I've had to deal with them on the phone with a question went o.k., parts were never a problem. I do all my own work on mine and other guys. Pretty hard to kill or wear out a MEC. That's a steep price to pay. I'd be a bit ticked also.

3. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

see edit

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Can you name one company that has NEVER had an least one customer upset in the slightest regardless the reason?

Although I currently don't have a Mec the ones I've had in the past were good machines and Mec still produces good machimes.

5. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

Mec...treated me well in the out come of a long drawn affair regarding a brand new .410 9000. It was just a machine that wouldn't cooperate with them or me.

In the end I received a "new" machine in the box, that had been tuned and it works flawlessly.

Couldn't ask for better service...all though it took a while to resolve the issue...

Kudos to Mec..

Best regards..Stan Mayfield.

6. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

With your unusual name, he might have thought you were a great joker and one of his co-workers trying to trick him, and he joked back at you by not taking your request seriously. That trick was played on me in my youth by a ficticious person named "Fennwood Thrasher". Oh, everyone at work had a laugh on me. About a month later I received a parts order from someone named "Lynnwood Raulerson". I knew I was being tricked again, so I shipped him a 30lb rock. Well, it turned out he was a real person. I had a lot of apologizing to do.... and everyone at work had another big laugh at my expense.

On the otherhand, this person might be a brand new employee and at the beginning of his learning curve, in which case, he may be your next "Ron" someday. I say, be tolerant of most everybody (the first 1-2 times) and patient that all will work out as it should - which, it did in your case. Gwad bless Amerika.

7. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Off topic, but MEC just purchased a clay target machine making company.

8. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Yeah. We already know and we wonder how that's going to work out. Anybody buying MEC wads? Mike

9. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I don't have one, I have four progressives, four 600's, and two 650's. After listening to all the raves about Hornady 366's I made the mistake of buying three of them. Needless to say, I am back to the Mec's. The only thing that Hornady has over Mec in my opinion is the free parts. If you have a problem with MEC they can tell you how to fix it, I can't say that of Hornady. Jackie B.

10. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I own, from what I was told by the late Denzel Sisson, of Orland, Calif., one of the very first MEC 9000H hydraulic reloaders to be sent out by Mec to a dealer in California. I don't remember the exact year I bought it, but it had to be around 1977 or 1978, maybe even earlier. Since that time I have reloaded several hundred thousand rounds with it. I sent it back to Mec for a complete rebuild about 10 years ago, even though it was still turning out great loads. It was just getting a little loose and, being a bit anal about these things, I thought it was time. The total cost, at that time, was $135.00, including freight, for a complete overhaul of the machine, which included a newly redesigned hydraulic pump with adjustable speed. This reloader has been absolutely bullet proof in every respect. I have never had a problem with it since the day I got it. I installed the larger primer feeder a few years ago and that was a big improvement over the older style. Installed it, adjusted it to work as it should, and have never had to deal with it since. Now, I have also owned, at one time or another, a PW 800, a Hornaday 366, and a Dillon. The ONLY one I now own is a Mec..... Just like the energizer bunny: Takes a lickin' and keeps on ticken'. Should this 9000H give up before I do, I'll buy another one. Mec products, and Mec's outstanding customer service are the very best bargin you can get, period.... Just my personal experience...... Dan Thome (Trap2)