1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

REALLY GOOD STEAKHOUSES NEAR SPARTA

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mastiff711, Jul 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mastiff711

mastiff711 Member

Hi was wondering if anyone could give me the names of some really good steakhouses near Sparta preferably that have a really good wine list. Thanks in advance!

2. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

mastiff711:

If you are serious, the nearest "really good" steakhouse with a "really good wine list" would be in St. Louis. I'm sure some of the St. Louis area shooters will provide specific names.

sissy

3. mastiff711

mastiff711 Member

Thanks Sissy and I am serious (female here...unsure if a male would post this). I figured St Louis would be a good start and maybe someone will be able to provide me some names. Thanks again!

4. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

I don't know how close to Sparta you consider close, but it's certainly not all the way to St. Louis. I debated long and hard about even posting this info. The only thing that swayed me to post was that considering the, ahem, frugal nature of trapshooters there aren't too many that will spring for the big bucks required to go to this place.

Andria's
    6805 Old Collinsville Road
    O'Fallon, IL
    618-632-4866

Found the place by accident the first year the Grand was in Sparta, been back every year since (and more than once one year). I've got a friend that travels extensively on business and he says it rivals the best steakhouses he's ever been in, including Sparks and Peter Lugar in NYC. I've never been to those places, but Andria's is one of the best, if not the best, steaks I've ever had.

I've mentioned it to a few locals at the WSRC (adult workers from the area) and the first question they ask is how did I find out about it. Everyone I've talked to said it's the place to go for great steaks.

It's probabaly a $60 per person tab with minimal drinks. I'm not a wine drinker so I don't know about their wine list.

If you go, wear a clean shirt and comb your hair, leave the hat in the car. It's kind of fancy for that area. Tell the hostess you are shooting in Sparta, they like to know that people are coming to their place because of the shoot.

Enjoy. I know our group already has made our plans to eat at Andria's, and a couple of guys are pushing for two visits this year.

Scott

5. mastiff711

mastiff711 Member

Scott, that sounds just like the place I was looking for. I almost didn't even post this thread but my husband and I enjoy going out for a GOOD steak and were just discussing (before I posted this) restaurants close to Sparta. I figured someone would know of a good place that wasn't all the way to St Louis. Thanks so much for the info and we will definitely give Andria's a try while we are there.

Stacey

6. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

I love steak !!!......Uncle Sam, Pa.

7. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

Roadhouse is no more

Hunters hide out in Tilden new owners, I had a great steak and ice cold Bud
    not a wine drinker

jpark

8. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

Carmichael's in Sparta is really good!

Matt

9. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Andrea's in O'Fallon is excellent!!

10. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Stacey:

Matt is correct. Carmichael's is pretty good and located on the north end of Sparta.

------------

Scott:

I was thinking south St. Louis city or south county.

If one cuts north and west from Sparta to Columbia, IL. and crosses the river to south St. Louis, the drive time and distance is almost the same as from Sparta to Andria's.

Downtown St. Louis (using Busch Stadium as a proxy) is only another 15 minutes - assuming the Cardinals aren't in town and further assuming Stacey's drive to dinner isn't during rush hour.

sissy

11. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

I bought the best steaks at a butcher shop in Sparta, THE BEST. I will return and do the same this year. We have to barbecue them and chill the wine.
    One of the shooters in our group is single. Maybe you could get an invitation.
    We call the MacIlain Mansion in Okawville,Il. our home. Just down the street from Original Springs Hotel. Enjoy your trip.
    Carmichael's in Sparta is very nice.

Joe Woods/Ontario

12. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

Absolutely, positively, no doubt about it--------Andrea's in O'fallon, Illinois.
    The best steak I have ever had. You gotta try it. It's like dying & going to heaven. Colonel

13. JPSemper

JPSemper Member

If you do get to St. Louis, try:

Kreis' Restaurant
    535 S Lindbergh Blvd
    St Louis, MO 63131
    (314) 993-0735?

Famous for their prime rib and steaks. It's close to the airport. The food is great but bring money $$$.

John Semprini

14. mastiff711

mastiff711 Member

Guys thanks so much for all of your posts. Gives me some really good ideas on some places to eat! Have fun, be safe, and shoot well at the Grand!

Stacey

15. mastiff711

mastiff711 Member

16. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

For 60.00 a steak dinner i will bring a grill and feed as many as would like the best steaks one can buy. A 16 oz of choice with all the trimmings. Let me know what night and how many.

17. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

If you are going to go into STL for dinner and you are a baseball fan check out Mike Shannon's, it is near the ballpark. It is known for it's steaks and seafood, make sure your wallet is full though.

18. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

We have a beautiful location in Okawville,Il. And you speek to the lady in charge, we could likely have a complete meal in the courtyard at the Macilain Mansion for less with all the trimmings.

Joe Woods/Ontario

19. shark1

shark1 Member

Go to THE HILL SECTION of STL. This is a big Italian area with excellent places to eat. My recommendation is for CHARLIE GITTO'S. GIOVANNI's might be up in the top ten resturaunts in the country (imho), not a steak house.
    Mike Sharkey, DC

20. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Try south end ribs in sparta. Best ribs iv ever had and my dad said the tbone was excellent. Not fancy but greaaaaat food.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.