1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Really any difference

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TDK, Feb 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TDK

TDK Member

Okay all the different choke tubes for example LM, M, IM is there really any real world difference in them. Thanks TDK

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

If you shoot sporting clays there is. It also helps to get bore matched tubes for the best possible results.

ss

3. 410 JIM

410 JIM TS Member

Yes there is a bunch of difference between LM and IM, but if you have both you might not need M,but I like M since I shoot sporting and trap singles. Made some of the longest shots I ever made with IM. So the answer to your question is maybe. Jim

4. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Only if you want to hit targets...what a question....are you bored?

5. TDK

TDK Member

Rick if the question doesn't appeal to you move on no need to be a jackass. TK

6. TDK

TDK Member

I guess what i am trying to get at is are the LM,M,Im really that close. It would seem you are splitting hairs but I don't know. Someone help me. TK

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

LM is .015 restriction nominally in a 12ga

M is .020 " " " " "

IM is .025, you get the idea.

If you go to the patterning board and shoot them at 30yards, You'll see a difference.

I very rarely use anything looser than IM for trap. In the same respect, I've vary rarely used anything tighter that M for sporting clays. 90% of my sporting targets are shot with IC and LM in my 682.

I hope this helps answer your questions a little better.

ss

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

They are not close. IM is pretty tight, LM is _much_ looser. As you open up the choke you lose density in the center. You may get some back at the edges; but you may not.

Neil

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Huge differences and there are even significant differences in tube from the same maker with the same markings. You really need to test them to know how they perform in your gun with your ammo.

My all purpose choke for trap is Beretta mobile choke marked IM which has 0.033" of constriction. I tried several chokes including F, LF, M etc. before I settled on that particular one. The IM consistently gives me the most smoke at all the distances I shoot and a limited amount of pattern testing confirmed what I was seeing with the targets. I get bored silly with pattern testing but it is the correct way of evaluating choke performance, my hat is off to the guys that really put the time in on that effort.

10. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I found the same thing as Wolfram. Same choke numbers are meaningless and pattern different from the same gun.

Hap

11. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

I think before I'd have posted this question I would have spent some quality time at the pattern board checking it myself.

12. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

You have to pattern them with your gun and shells to see. Some tubes marked IM throw full patterns. Some tubes marked LM will throw IC patterns. That could be a big swing between a choke marked LM and one marked IM. There could also be very little difference. You have to pattern to know. I was patterning some shells and chokes at paper plates the other day at 45 yards. I had two shells, one a 1 ounce Federal game load at 1290fps the other a 1 1/8 ounce Federal Top gun load at 1145fps both 7 1/2 shot. I shot several shots then counted the pellet hits and compared the results. With the 1 1/8 ounce loads there was no real difference in hits between the modified and the full choke at 45 yards. With the 1 ounce loads there was a big difference between the full and modified choke. The one ounce shells had as many hits as the 1 1/8 oucne shells with the full choke in but was horrible with the modified choke. Chokes act different with different shells. Both shells were worthless at 45 yards with IC choke.

13. Neil Winston

What sort of results did you get, at 45 yards, highflyer? Pellet-count-wise, that is. And did you count the pellets in the shells to start with?

I have a 0.023 Perazzi under barrel which shoots about like the full choke over it. But most modified chokes are far more open, I think you will agree. I am assembling a whole range of brands of 0,020 and 0,040 chokes for a summer maxi-test.

Neil

14. highflyer

highflyer TS Member

I know to do a proper pattern you need to do the 30 inch circle at 40 yards. When I am feeling lazy I do the paper plate patterns. I measure my distances with a Nikon range finder I use turkey hunting. I have read where a lot of sporting clays shooters never go tighter than a modified for any target and have good success so that is what I was testing for. I only shot one pattern at 30 yards with the full choke and the 1 1/8 ounce load and there were more pellets than the other chokes. At 30 yards I was mainly comparing IC to SK choke. The IC was better. But I was surprised to find that at 45 yards there wasn't much difference between my full choke and my modified choke with the 1 1/8 ounce loads. I shot several of each and compared. With that shell and my factory chokes there were never more than a few pellets difference (always under 10)between the two. I will never go tighter than modified with that shell in a sporting clays tournament. But when I shot the one ounce loads the full choke did produce the better patterns. The best counts I had were with the one ounce load but these were just a little better than the 1 1/8 ounce load but surprising. I was always led to believe that the slower shells would have a hotter core pattern. And this is comparing the Federal cheapest hunting load at 1290 to their cheap target load of Top Shot shells at 1145. I have used those cheap 1 ounce target loads, 4.68 per box at my local Walmart, in tournaments and shot some of my best scores. They are a good shell for the price.

15. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Here is a good example of what happens when you guess instead of patterning. I was invited to shoot some sporting clays super bowl sunday which I am new at so I got a light mod Rino choke for my Beretta 391 optima and off I went. When I got there I wished I had a IC as the targets came close if you had patience to wait them out. Well I shot so poorly I was embarised at my score now I have shot some 5 stand and was at least adverage there. Well yesterday I patterened the Rino LM choke at 35 and 40 yards and it was a tight as any full choke I have shot in trap. Do not assume!~! shoot some patterns first I then went out and broke a 97 with the LM choke at trap in the Beretta live and learn.
    Buddy

16. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

17. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

.005"-----FWIW

18. Neil Winston

Thanks for the link, quackshot. What do you think about the article? Do you believe, for example, that choke does not change the center of the pattern, only the outside? Or that an IC choke as a 15-inch killing circle at 40 yards?

Neil

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

I read the article. A few points made by the author seem rather unusual and are counter to the limited information I have measured from my patterns.

Pat Ireland

20. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

Neil, if it ever warms up down here, I'll have paper on that article for your viewing. I want to know! You can do the graphs if you'd like.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.