1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Real world value of Winchester Model 21

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mike Hessong* (MH*), Aug 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Winchester Model 21, 20 gauge with 28" barrels (Mod./Full) Field model (milled rib, NOT a ventilated rib) with really nice figured wood on the butt-stock as well as the beaver-tail forearm. English-style butt with a 14 1/2" LOP with a red, rubber ("old English") recoil pad, built in 1954. Bores mic out to what the Winchester 21 info shows to be for Mod. and Full constrictions.

I have the Blue Book of Gun Values, as well as looking on Guns International and Guns America and see what people are asking for a gun of like description, but I was wondering if any of y'all might know what a good asking price for a gun like this would be. I know that there is quite a few fanciers of the Model 21 (as I am myself), but wondered like someone in a previous thread said; "I see what Guns International is wanting for certain models, but I don't see any of them selling." I know the economy has a lot to do with it, but a collectible gun like this, is a different animal in my book. Just interested in what y'all might have as a good number in case I decided to sell this gun.

Thanks in advance for any help in pricing this really nice little upland game gun,
    Mike* (MH*)

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

< drool >

BTW, Mike, have you found a source for 'the' hat? I want one, too.

Bob

3. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Bob (Goatskin) I "assume" you are talking about my floppy-eared fishing cap "ugliest shooting cap in the world !), I find them at Academy's or other sports stores. Helps with keeping this South Texas sun off of my delicate ears. LOL

Pat, I knew I would forget to add something. Single trigger, ejectors, and I'm not sure what you are talking about flat-side or not. I should have taken some pictures, and it does have a beaver-tail forearm (I remembered to add that), but the the checkering pattern is not like any I have seen on a Model 21. I found a website that shows a lot of the engineering drawings from the 30's (blueprints) with descriptions of patterns and their names, and what is on this gun is different from all of them. The serial numbers all match on this gun and the forearm serial number is right there besides the forearm iron serial number, so I can only assume it came out of the factory (or custom shop) like it is now.

Thanks, Mike* (MH*)

4. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The last 20 ga Win21 I saw was going for $7000.00 +.

5. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Mine was a real junker when I bought it in 1978 (rusty, rib'bbl serparation)....sent it to the Win. custom shop for a complete mechanical rebuild (US$1500 then) and then restocked it to the original dimensions in Calif. English Walnut.....it was a 12 ga. 30" IM/F field grade, single trigger ejector gun and I sold it for $3000 a couple years ago when I was in need of some $$'s. It wasn't a showpiece by any means but shot really well if you got past the fact it kicked like a #$$$##& mule....

6. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Would not think it would be 3" being a solid rib, but I have to ask ? Jeff

7. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I think the 6-7 range is about right. M21 20s command a slight premium.

MH* ... nah, I have those fishing/flats hats ... valulable, yes, and practical?, you bet - but short on style.

This one:

[​IMG]

8. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

bigbore613 (Jeff), sorry I forgot to add it is a 2 3/4" chambered gun. I have heard how rare the 3" chambered 20 gauges are, but this is not one of them.

Goatskin (Bob), oh, that hat ! My buddy, Danny Webb. I really like that shooting sombrero. He had just gotten back from the skin doctor and the doctor told him if he didn't start shooting in something that protected his ears, he would be cutting them off due to skin cancer. Danny is a fair-skinned (Irish complexion) and I "thought" I had a big palm straw cowboy shooting hat, but Danny's takes the cake. I need to find out where he got his. Heck, half his squad was protected last week under this thing ! LOL (oh, and buy the way, I think you and Auctioneer are there as far as real world dollars for the gun. I've seen them listed for more, just don't know how long they have been listed)

Thanks everyone with y'alls help with fixing a price for me.

9. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

You have to post pictures to clear up that "special checkering" situation. If it isn't factory, it detracts seriously from the value. The 28" barrels are a plus. 26" Model 21s are as common as flies on the used gun market and no one wants them.

10. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I only told you what I saw listed. I don't know if he got it or not or if it was low or high..

11. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

The 28" barrels are common as well. 30" barrels demand a premium of up to $1,000 more. English stock or pistol grip? Few 28" guns are selling for $6,000 unless absolutely prestine.

Is the checkering pattern a Winchester pattern?

12. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

M21 prices are never entirely 'rational' in the economic sense - the mystique is too overwhelming.

While true, they are decent-to-good guns in design and execution, 2nd or 3rd tier guns from Birmingham, Eibar and Brescia are their equal or superior for a lot less money.

None of which matters when demand is greater than supply, and mystique is involved.

Bob

13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

What do think this one is worth???

Bob Lawless

[​IMG]

14. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Goatskin, who's gonna fix them there fancy European guns when they break? Just kidding, but I prefer the 21. Theres something about a 21!

15. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Bob

What's all them scratches on the receiver?

16. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Rosey ... I rest my case ...

Gun Dr, Briley, Galazan, Larkin Moore, NECG, Eyster Bros., Kirk Merion, Ed Haley ... your neighborhood blacksmith. Boxlocks are not terribly complicated, and you have L & R parts to make a copy of whatever is broke or wore-out.

Have a delightful, you.

Bob

17. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

eightbore, I wish I would have taken some pictures before I let it go with a friend to Houston to be looked at.

setterman, like I said in the original entry, it is and English style butt-stock. I know a lot of upland wing shooters like this style, but I still like the looks of a pistol grip gun. The 28" barrels are nice and I know the 30" would even be a premium over the 28"s. The forearm patterning is "different" from any I have seen on a Model 21, BUT it is still serial numbered to the gun. Doesn't mean that an aftermarket stock maker might have made a forearm and stamped it to be the same as the original. ???

And Bob Lawless, words just don't describe the beauty of Roy Rogers "Grand American". I always love the look of the raised ventilated rib with the pistol grip as well as the wood on these models. All of my guns and the vehicles I carry them in wouldn't be enough to purchase that gun, most likely. What really amazed me, is the price of the 28 gauge and .410 models and the rarity of them. Still talking about the original Winchester Model 21, not the other makers with rights to produce them. Though those are some still fine shotguns and works of art as well.

Thanks again for everyones opinions on helping set the bar on something like this, especially without pictures and I know I should have taken some before posting, but still, thanks againg. Like "goatskin" (Bob) said, I have found from visiting with other SxS enthusiast, the Model 21 hold such a mythical place that the market is what it is, and whatever someone is willing to pay is subject to change at a whim or fancy, just depending on who wants what at the right time.

Mike* (MH*)

18. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Swap it for another K-80, Mike? You need another one, don't you?

19. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Bob, don't think I haven't thought about that, but I have all of those I need right now. With my little ASE-90 that I hardly get to shoot (my registered skeet gun) and trap shooting takes up so much of my time unless I am doing all of our little South Texas Fun Shoots, I really don't need more guns, I can't believe I just said that !!! Kind of plan on taking the wife on a little vacation to go see my niece get married up in Virginia.

Mike* (MH*)

20. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Dang, an OLD ASE-90 you have now? Sweet.

I'm going to try to shoot at Dow next Sunday. See you then. Will you have the sombrero concession?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
value of winchester model 21
winchester 21 checkering patterns
winchester 21 trap skeet how rare
winchester model 21 trap gun worth

winchester model 21 value

winchester model 21 values by serial number
winchester21trapskeet