1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Real time super nova happening now....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Aug 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
  2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Iteresting B. I have a school chum that is GM of Yerkes, affiliated with University of Chicago. I'll see what he comes up with

3. ABH

ABH Member

Just think. That event happened 21 million years ago and we are seeing it now. Half of the stars you see in the sky now, probably don't exist any more. New stars that were born millions of years ago, still can't be seen by earth yet.

ART H.

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Very cool. This stuff still makes my pea brain hurt to try and make sense of it. It is very interesting to me. My wife gets so mad when i watch shows on Dish that discuss this stuff. I find it facsinating. Thanks for sharing Brian.

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Did't it happen 3.8 Billion years ago?

Wayne

6. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

The "i don't believe in evolution" crowd of bachmann and perry think it did not happen at all.

7. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

I bet the hubble will get some really nice pictures of it. I think this is really cool stuff. Tnks Brian for the post.

Jim

8. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

"Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 12 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science. For more, visit www.lbl.gov."

And we wonder why this government has broke the bank!! Been blowing tax dollars since 1931 here at one place, how many more areas have we been pouring dollars down a rat hole???

9. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

Timberfella, of the total deficit, what portion is assigned to the the lab?

10. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

wayneo,

The speed of light is also a measure of time. If the star is 21 million light years away, it takes 21 million years for its light to reach us.

It's really interesting stuff, and makes one ponder the grand nature of time and space.

For really scary reading, Google "gamma ray burst" and see what a random supernova within our own galaxy could do to us.

Danny

11. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

More on it here.

Thanks Bri - cool stuff.

Joe

12. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Yeah Danny your right. I was thinking about the black hole that ate the star. It's 3.8 Billion light years. Click on the link.

Wayne

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.