1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Real Reloading Headaches?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Apr 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

I am working on an article about reloading. More accurately, its about the health dangers that may result from absorbing/inhaling nitroglycerin from gunpowder. I understand that the majority of all shotgun powder is dust free, but that doesn't mean that there isn't any possibility of coming into contact with the product.

I am interested because I have experienced headaches when I loaded in a small area. They disappeared when I moved the location and began wearing disposable gloves and (sometimes) a paper mask. I don't think this was a coincidence.

I've been a pharmacist since 1971 and I understand the side effects from drugs - one of which is the same nitroglycerin used to prepare gunpowder. I would appreciate any stories or anecdotes from members of this forum. If everyone and their uncle has been reloading for decades without an issue, I'll stop my inquiry. But, on the odd chance that reloading might be associated with nitroglycerin side effects, I think I should at least do some research.

Thanks in advance for anything you can share. Larry Frieders

2. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Well Larry, it sure sounds like more misdirected information for the anti gunners to me. The warning are already on the labels.

Ajax

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Safer than driving around the block with your car.

4. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Last time that I was in for a check up, my Cardiologist asked me if I needed some new nitro tablets because what he ha d given me would be long expired. I told him that I had tossed them away long ago, since I had never needed them.

He said "What if you should need them for pains?" I told him I would just go out to my loading bench and grab a pinch of Red Dot since it was about 20% nitroglycerine.

He just looked at me and said "Why wouldn't I expect an answer like that out of you?"

Seriously ... I have never had a problem from gunpowder headaches, nor anyone that I know ... but there is the possibility that you are hypersensitive to nitroglycerine due to exposure of a multitude of drugs over the course of 30+ years.

5. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

This reminds me of that bozo from my hometown in WV who sued Hoppes because he got headaches from using their product in his living room to clean his guns. What an idiot! Being a chemist myself, read the label and when they say use in ventilated area, it might be a good idea. As far as I am concerned using a product against the posted warnings is not a health hazard, it is stupidity. Why not smoke while reloading? If there are effects from using in a proper manner, then there is a story, otherwise, what's the point?

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

After almost 40 years of reloading and handling powder and lead several times a week, for all that time, I have no apparent problem as a result. None, zero, nada....

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

If you consider the Wikipedia to be a usually reliable source, this is in the Nitroglycerin entry:<blockquote>"SIDE EFFECTS

The side effects of nitroglycerin include lack of sexual desire, headache, painful urination and increased bowel movements. Patients are often told to sit or lie down during and immediately after taking nitroglycerin to reduce the risk of low blood pressure. A drop in blood pressure can be accompanied by weakness or dizziness.

Shortly after the invention of nitroglycerin, this substance was noticed to be capable of inducing a violent headache. Headaches are the most prominent side effect of nitrate therapy. This was due to the release of nitric oxide (NO) by nitroglycerin. Such studies have led to propose that NO may be the causative molecule in migraine pain. The importance of NO as a potential initiator of the migraine attack opens new directions for other vascular headaches and pharmacological treatment of migraines.

INDUSTRIAL EXPOSURE

Infrequent exposure to high doses of nitroglycerin can cause severe headaches known as "NG head". These headaches can be severe enough to incapacitate some people; however, humans develop a tolerance to and dependence on nitroglycerin after long-term exposure. Withdrawal can (rarely) be fatal; withdrawal symptoms include headaches and heart problems; with re-exposure to nitroglycerin, these symptoms may disappear.

For workers in nitroglycerin (NTG) manufacturing facilities, this can result in a "Monday morning headache" phenomenon for those who experience regular nitroglycerin exposure in the workplace leading to the development of NTG tolerance for the vasodilating effects. Over the weekend the workers lose the tolerance to NTG and when they are reexposed on Monday the prominent vasodilation produces tachycardia, dizziness, and a headache.</blockquote>

This does NOT address the issue of whether the nitroglycerin in smokeless powder becomes available to be inhaled by the user during reloading. THAT seems to be the situation that needs research.

MK

8. primed

primed Well-Known Member

"SIDE EFFECTS
    The side effects of nitroglycerin include lack of sexual desire, headache, painful urination and increased bowel movements.

But, but, but my wife doesn't even reload?????

Bob

9. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

The only headaches I get while reloading is when I try to load some 28's on my 366...

10. Remington STS

Remington STS TS Member

I smoke, drink beer, and reload shells every afternoon. The smoking helps keep the humidity down and the beer wets my whistle. No problems yet....... STS

11. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

My kind of man STS!

I must confess however that I did quit smoking 3 months ago, and prefer a nice tumbler charged with whisky and rocks to wet my whistle over cold beer.

I'll bet that I'm one of the only reloaders what frequent this forum that loads to Rob Zombie tho... Nothing like pulling that MEC650 handle in time with More Human than Human cranked-up!!!

Larry,

More to the point of reloading side effects, I sometimes get a kink in my buttocks when my shell count gets around the 300 mark in one session.

To be a tad more useful, I use Am Sel and it is dusty as I pour it from the 8lb jugs into the powder tube--I hold my breath while pouring.

I do worry about the lead a little though; always careful to wash my hands before I eats me ham sammich.

Guy Babin

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The worst side affect of nitroglycerin is when you drop it, the explosion can be harmful to your health. HMB

13. shadow

shadow Active Member

Try handling dynamite with bare hands if you want a REALLY bad headache !!!!

14. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Thank you all for the input. The ill effects are likely transient and only apply to a very small number of people. The best advice I've received is, "why bother?" I won't.

15. Hardage

Hardage TS Member

Maybe you just need some reading glasses for the close up work...just kidding of course...I have been reloading for about 18 years with no headaches other than from watching the primer drop on my MEC!

16. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Could it be a possibility that the headaches from small spaces are in some way related to claustrophobia?!

regards,

Jay

17. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

In any large group of people a tiny minority will show a negative reaction to a specific substance. As a pharmacist it sounds like you have already figured out you may have a sensitivity to nitro that doesn't occur in the larger populace. Me, I break out in hives over exposure to work. It doesn't affect me when I watch others work, only when I work.

18. Bertmuss

Bertmuss Member

My reloading room is a small closet that I have used for 30 years, no headaches even though I have often noticed a sprinkling of gun powder on my glass of wine that I drink while reloading. I think your problem might be too much wad pressure...your panties are getting in a wad from being in a confined space too long. Relax, take a break and up the proof level of of your requisite beverage. RM

19. Shooter R

Shooter R Active Member

I always thought that nitoglycerine and nitrocellulose (the "other" part of smokeless powder), formed a sort of plastic like substance when mixed together. Once dried, the nitroglycerine was not in an "easily absorbable" state, like a nitro patch, or a nitro tablet used for coronary dilation. (Heart patients use those and many get initial headaches, but they seem to lessen with use).

Common table salt, (which is sodium chloride), is made of sodium and chlorine, but you will never smell a chlorine odor from it.

20. DoRaMa

DoRaMa Member

4170 N. Gun Powder Circle, Hastings NE 68901
    I seem to have more problems with MSG than gun powder!

Kevin @ 402-463-3415

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.