1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

real reason you can't get kids to shoot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dolphin62, Mar 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

real reason you can

The real reason....how can they shoot when it would most likly interfear with cell phone and text time.

The reason applys why the new generation don't work...they don't have time. There too busy spending money they don't have, on things they don't need, to impress people they don't know and/or like. If you think I'm full of shit just go in to any store or tatto parlor.

2. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

A lot of kids today are hung up on having it all and having the best. Who do YOU blame. Children are a product of their environments. Kids will take as long as someone gives. Society itself is different. I'm guilty, but I wanted my daughter to have the things I couldn't when I was growing up poor.

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

It's harder to get kids to shoot for two major reasons -- GUN HATE and COST.

1) GUN HATE: The national dialogue, driven primarily by leftist media and weak-minded public school teachers, has continued to brainwash young people into believing that "GUNS ARE BAAAAD!"

As I've mentioned before, some parents are so ignorant of guns, firearms safety, and American history that they call other parents before a play date or birthday party and ask if any guns are present in the home. If the answer is yes, they refuse to let their children attend. They don't ask if the guns are in a safe, have trigger locks, or anything else. It doesn't matter if you own one antique musket you inherited from Grandpa or a full-auto Uzi and a Barrett 50 cal and no gun safe. It's black & white -- their mindset is this: "If you have a gun in your house then you are bad and stupid and I will not let my kids be around your kids or ever go into your home, period." With these pseudo-intellectuals, it seems like they are openly teaching their kids to hate guns and anyone who owns them.

2) COST: Occasionally dabbling in the shotgun sports is not all that costly, but shooting competitively, or even shooting casually but frequently, is a very expensive sport for a kid's parents -- thousands of dollars per year. That's why I encourage parents to focus on the good old 22 caliber. You can take a couple kids shooting all day for the price of taking them to a movie and having popcorn and sodas. 22s are fun, can be enjoyed in a huge variety of interesting ways, and learning to shoot them is much easier for kids 12 and under than the shotgun sports. It also provides a great opportunity to bond with kids, teach them firearms safety, and de-program them of the nonsense they are taught about guns in our crappy public schools. And if your kids' friends have parents who are leary of guns, offer to take them too. You'll be amazed at how far a bunch of fun and little education can go in getting people to think straight.

-Gary

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

The real reason my kid quit shooting was cars and girls. Not necessarily in that order.

hrosik 123....Not only am I guilty of the same thing so are many others whether they want to admit it or not.

Bill

5. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

i am some what

6. mono1393

mono1393 Member

You spend all your time at the gun club and your kids are doing all the things you say they are because you are blowing your wad there and not spending time with your kids doing the things they want to do. Take them hunting, or go plinking with the .22 like Gary above said. Coach an AAU team, or take them fishing, or take them to the skate park and hang out and try it with them. Take them snowboarding, or go to wrestling practice with them. If you don't have your own kids and they are raised, do it with your grandchildren.

Spend some time with them before it is too late and quit bitching about it!

7. hrosik123

hrosik123 Member

I grew up with shooting, hunting, and fishing. Learned from a young age to cherish what was around me. Tried to do that with my daughter. When she was young she loved to go fishing. Now she loves to hang out with her friends. Can't blame her, I did the same. Eventually I came back to shooting sports and hunting. Just hoping she will do the same. I think it a natural cycle. Can't force something on them. Makes them not want to do it anymore. I believe that if shooting sports were more accesible at a scholastic level there would be a lot more interest. Hard where I live in the Garden State.

8. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

As a kid, and not only a kid but the worst kind of kid, a teenager, I really can't tell you how wrong you are. Yes, there are those kids who are total wash-ups and screw their lives over before it even has a chance to begin. But your comments are extremely off base and uneducated. Kids are always looking for jobs, and the reason kids aren't working is because everyone else is looking for crap jobs that kids should be doing. Who would you higher? A teenager or a father of 2? On top of that even those who have jobs don't even have time to have the job. You have no idea how difficult the whole college thing is these days is, at least for the more competitive schools. The pressure of AP Classes, testing scores, grades in general, and worst of all parents puts such a huge burden on many kids that's it's tough to really enjoy their teen years. I could go on and on, but this is not a sob-story I'm just explaining to you what you clearly seem to overlook.
    -Trappy

9. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Obviously hormones, cars and other interests do have an impact on what kids want to do, but most still love shooting if it's presented properly and positively. When my friends and I hit 14 we were already into motorcycles and girls, but they seldom turned down a chance to go "blasting," as we called it.

-Gary

10. crusha

crusha TS Member

Just buy everything for them like all the other trapshooters do.

Then they'll shoot for a while.

11. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

If I had realized Grandchildren were so great, I would have had them first.
    Just kidding,,I have four sons that I wouldn't trade for a million, but I hesitate to think I would want four more just like them. Ah, with age a lot of things are forgotten!

Big Jack

12. Blueraven81

Blueraven81 TS Member

If you could look into the future and you see that in 5 years you will get cancer and die within months, wouldn't you want to do everything you can to make that 5 years with your kids the most enjoyable time of both yours and their lives?

I would, even at the cost of spoiling them.

Remember life is short and for some even shorter.

Blueraven, (a Dad who spoils his kids)

13. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

They are only kids once, and for a very short time. There are only a few years when they can do the things they can only do as kids, e.g. little league and sports, boy scouts, youth activities at church, scholastics and extra-scholastic activities at school. Many parents, me included, wanted them doing those things when they had the chance. There is plenty of time later for shooting.

14. Bob M

Bob M Member

GW22:

Not all teachers are tofu-eatin', sandal-wearin', democratic-votin' tools of the liberals.

Some of us actually share our conservative viewpoints, discuss firearms in our classes where they fit properly, and invite the kids to the gun club.

I have a daughter and I have tried to get her interested in the shooting sports.
    THE LAST thing I want to do is try to force the issue. You have to hope that the seeds you can plant early sprout later in life.

15. brucestorey

brucestorey Member

mrskeet410 said:

"They are only kids once, and for a very short time. There are only a few years when they can do the things they can only do as kids, e.g. little league and sports, boy scouts, youth activities at church, scholastics and extra-scholastic activities at school. Many parents, me included, wanted them doing those things when they had the chance. There is plenty of time later for shooting. "

I say: +1

Bruce

16. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Bob M.

I certainly agree with you -- a small percentage of thoughtful teachers like yourself haven't swallowed the leftist anti-gun Kool-Aid. But you are in a vast minority.

Another fascinating thing about teachers, at least to me, is how they performed in college. For several years I served on an advisory committee at a large state university. Our job was to advise only the technical programs, but we received GPA and testing data about students in all the colleges. Not only was the College of Education consistently near the bottom in terms of average student performance, but they also accepted an inordinate percentage of students who couldn't cut it in other programs (especially nursing and engineering). It's unwise to paint everyone with one broad brush, but it's also foolish to ignore the overall statistics.

Respectfully,

Gary

17. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

We are only a trap shooting club and doing well in todays ecomomy . We get new shooters constantly , young and old , parents with kids too but in the past we have held Boy Scout troop shooting -- maybe 12 classes in 15+years and found that not one of these kids have come back to our club in that period of time . If they were 14 years old at the time , they would be in the upper 20`s by now and still no show ?? If the parents don`t work with them and guide them into shooting then my belief is that only a small portion of young kids will take up this sport. Maybe some will join their friends if they decide to go shooting and then start on their own to join our sport . It wasn`t the cost of shooting -- rounds or shells that stop new shooters in my opinion but it is the commaraderie of getting together with club members and their friends for a fun day that may keep them in the sport .

18. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

real reason you can

<UL><LI>If there's no close, respected adult in the kid's life who shoots, the kid won't either.<LI>If none of their close friends shoot, neither will they.<LI>If shooting activities aren't common or popular where the kid lives, they won't shoot.<LI>If the kid needs a car to travel to shoot, they probably won't try to afford both.<LI>If self-satisfaction is the only reward for shooting well, they probably won't shoot.</UL>

MK

19. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

Trapshooting is a popular activity in rural areas in Washington State, not so much in the urban areas. As the rural population slowly moves off the farm the trend will continue.

This trend seems to be working against all shooting sports and is a reason more kids aren't shooting.

20. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Most of the kids I know do like to shoot, they just need someone to take them out for a session.

The cell phone/texting thing is pretty sickening though. I can't help to think that those activities become something of an addiction for some people.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.