1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Real names vs handles - Interesting findings....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Jan 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
  2. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I always told you I knew what I was talking about.

Don

3. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Brian in Oregon- I think its better stated as:
    "Data suggests some people using pseudonyms leave better comments."
    Gunfitter

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

You can say anything you want with out fear of retribution when you hide behind some fake name. Look at how many AH's we've had here that spray their BS that wouldn't dare say that if they had to post their real name.

Eric

5. Josephdog

Josephdog TS Member

Gunfitter - I think it's...

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Sorrrry my spl cker is of. Ill try to remember not to type so fast.

7. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Funny how somebody "hiding" behind his fake name complains about people who "hide behind some fake name". What does retribution have to do with anything? Even if I knew mixer's real name, what difference would it make to me or him?

8. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

I promise to post same dumba$$ replys regardless of real name or signon. I really do promise....

9. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

What I gleaned from the article was that more comments are submitted by pseudonym'd posters... that in and of itself is no surprise... some folks just churn out word after word - some quite disrespectful... and what is the distinction of pseudonym vs. anonymity?!

What was the methodology to determine subjective "quality signals" of those responses?! In business, it appears you can make statistics seem to show whatever end result you want... the selling point for disqus is to make their point going against the flow...

IMO, from my life experience in the real world, unscientific as that may be... folks who put themselves out there naked, may make less quantity, but I have found more sincerity... that is not to say that folks who choose to respond from behind a created persona are not sincere...

Respectfully offered,

Jay

10. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

If you live in Idaho or Montana ... using your real name shouldn't be a problem.

On the other hand, living in So. California or NYC where Liberal zealots abound ... it can be a real problem.

Those nutjobs also happen to be computer savvy ... and can find where you live and harass you.

11. mike campbell

mike campbell Active Member

Some people choose to live in fear. Some do not.

12. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

Kind of catchy; think I'll call myself Mr. Pseudonym.

Mark

13. 100straight

100straight Member

A very good friend of mine used to post on here under the name "Incognito." He made some of the very best posts and responses. He got the boot for no other reason than his handle, and has never returned. He is a great shooter and an all around good guy. We all lose because he is not here. I wonder how many other top shooters use a pseudonym TS.com name to keep people from knowing who they are and harrassing them with hundreds of questions? I seem to remember a couple that were on here using their real name and left because of that.

Mark.

14. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Mr Galt,

Why is it you have never left your real name after one of your 849 negative, and degrading comments, with only 4 threads started, in the 6 months you have been registered to this site? Do you consider yourself an objectivist? Jon

15. Straight50

Straight50 Member

More difficult to check for warrants with an alias, unless said alias (or handle) is used frequently enough to become well known. lol!
    Arv

16. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

Just like the clown that hides behind his makeup and big red nose! You feel free to voice your opinions no matter how asine they may be! When your real idenity is protected.

17. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Fortunately for some, a whining trapshooter is a happy trapshooter. John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.