1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Real clay targets?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bernie K, Apr 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bernie K

Bernie K Member

There is a big cost increse in targets out there now but are we really going to have to rely on the cost of oil in our sport?

If any of you have ever watched a program called How It's Made, you might recall a spot on the production of asprin tablets. The asprin start out as a powder and are formed in a two piece mold. The bottom half of the mold is the female part and the top half in the male. The powered asprin is dumped onto the female part and the excess is racked off, then the top half is brought down with great pressure and the powder binds together on it's own creating the tablet we all know. This process is used to form many other pills and candy such as Sweet Tarts and Tums anti-acid tablets.

Why can't someone produce targets out of clay? I'am sure there must be a way to do it in this fashion. In the end the target would go back to clay as a bio decradable. Just food for thought. PS how is drywall produced? That's a plaster product and seems to be fairly stable. I know the product used in drywall is a by product of power plants.

2. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The bio-degradeable targets do contain gypsum (like drywall) and they are formed in a press. A lot of clubs are currently switching to these targets for the reasons you mentioned.

3. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

Bio targets will kill your vegitation.

Quail Creek in Florida throws bios, and you should see the desert wasteland that has resulted from throwing bios.

The next thing we will have to deal with will be the enviros complaining about lead in an acidic environment.

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Bernie,

I thought the top half of the mold was the female and the bottom was the male ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Barney,

Somewhere in my collection I have the patent process for the first CLAY targets...Ligowsky

I'll email it to you when I find it. Maybe you can use this information.

See y'all soon, Dave

PS: These Ligowskys are going for $40.00 and up (EACH)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.