1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reagan or Obama?

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by Russ25Trap, Jan 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Russ25Trap

Russ25Trap TS Member

Who is most likely to give this speech, Reagan or Obama? Rebublican or Democrat? Who did deliver this speech?

We observe today not a victory of party, but a celebration of freedom -- symbolizing an end, as well as a beginning -- signifying renewal, as well as change. For I have sworn before you and Almighty God the same solemn oath our forebears prescribed.

The world is very different now. For man holds in his mortal hands the power to abolish all forms of human poverty and all forms of human life. And yet the same revolutionary beliefs for which our forebears fought are still at issue around the globe -- the belief that the rights of man come not from the generosity of the state, but from the hand of God.

We dare not forget today that we are the heirs of that first revolution. Let the word go forth from this time and place, to friend and foe alike, that the torch has been passed to a new generation of Americans -- born in this century, tempered by war, disciplined by a hard and bitter peace, proud of our ancient heritage, and unwilling to witness or permit the slow undoing of those human rights to which this nation has always been committed, and to which we are committed today at home and around the world.

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

This much we pledge -- and more.

To those old allies whose cultural and spiritual origins we share, we pledge the loyalty of faithful friends. United there is little we cannot do in a host of cooperative ventures. Divided there is little we can do -- for we dare not meet a powerful challenge at odds and split asunder.

To those new states whom we welcome to the ranks of the free, we pledge our word that one form of colonial control shall not have passed away merely to be replaced by a far more iron tyranny. We shall not always expect to find them supporting our view. But we shall always hope to find them strongly supporting their own freedom -- and to remember that, in the past, those who foolishly sought power by riding the back of the tiger ended up inside.

To those people in the huts and villages of half the globe struggling to break the bonds of mass misery, we pledge our best efforts to help them help themselves, for whatever period is required -- not because the Communists may be doing it, not because we seek their votes, but because it is right. If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich.

To our sister republics south of our border, we offer a special pledge: to convert our good words into good deeds, in a new alliance for progress, to assist free men and free governments in casting off the chains of poverty. But this peaceful revolution of hope cannot become the prey of hostile powers. Let all our neighbors know that we shall join with them to oppose aggression or subversion anywhere in the Americas. And let every other power know that this hemisphere intends to remain the master of its own house.

To that world assembly of sovereign states, the United Nations, our last best hope in an age where the instruments of war have far outpaced the instruments of peace, we renew our pledge of support -- to prevent it from becoming merely a forum for invective, to strengthen its shield of the new and the weak, and to enlarge the area in which its writ may run.

Finally, to those nations who would make themselves our adversary, we offer not a pledge but a request: that both sides begin anew the quest for peace, before the dark powers of destruction unleashed by science engulf all humanity in planned or accidental self-destruction.

We dare not tempt them with weakness. For only when our arms are sufficient beyond doubt can we be certain beyond doubt that they will never be employed.

But neither can two great and powerful groups of nations take comfort from our present course -- both sides overburdened by the cost of modern weapons, both rightly alarmed by the steady spread of the deadly atom, yet both racing to alter that uncertain balance of terror that stays the hand of mankind's final war.

So let us begin anew -- remembering on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness, and sincerity is always subject to proof. Let us never negotiate out of fear, but let us never fear to negotiate.

Let both sides explore what problems unite us instead of belaboring those problems which divide us.

Let both sides, for the first time, formulate serious and precise proposals for the inspection and control of arms, and bring the absolute power to destroy other nations under the absolute control of all nations.

Let both sides seek to invoke the wonders of science instead of its terrors. Together let us explore the stars, conquer the deserts, eradicate disease, tap the ocean depths, and encourage the arts and commerce.

Let both sides unite to heed, in all corners of the earth, the command of Isaiah -- to "undo the heavy burdens, and [to] let the oppressed go free."¹

And, if a beachhead of cooperation may push back the jungle of suspicion, let both sides join in creating a new endeavor -- not a new balance of power, but a new world of law -- where the strong are just, and the weak secure, and the peace preserved.

All this will not be finished in the first one hundred days. Nor will it be finished in the first one thousand days; nor in the life of this Administration; nor even perhaps in our lifetime on this planet. But let us begin.

In your hands, my fellow citizens, more than mine, will rest the final success or failure of our course. Since this country was founded, each generation of Americans has been summoned to give testimony to its national loyalty. The graves of young Americans who answered the call to service surround the globe.

Now the trumpet summons us again -- not as a call to bear arms, though arms we need -- not as a call to battle, though embattled we are -- but a call to bear the burden of a long twilight struggle, year in and year out, "rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation,"² a struggle against the common enemies of man: tyranny, poverty, disease, and war itself.

Can we forge against these enemies a grand and global alliance, North and South, East and West, that can assure a more fruitful life for all mankind? Will you join in that historic effort?

In the long history of the world, only a few generations have been granted the role of defending freedom in its hour of maximum danger. I do not shrink from this responsibility -- I welcome it. I do not believe that any of us would exchange places with any other people or any other generation. The energy, the faith, the devotion which we bring to this endeavor will light our country and all who serve it. And the glow from that fire can truly light the world.

And so, my fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country.

My fellow citizens of the world, ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man.

Finally, whether you are citizens of America or citizens of the world, ask of us here the same high standards of strength and sacrifice which we ask of you. With a good conscience our only sure reward, with history the final judge of our deeds, let us go forth to lead the land we love, asking His blessing and His help, but knowing that here on earth God's work must truly be our own.

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Can they fit all that onto a TelePrompTer?

...our "President" doesn't think so good on his feet, you know.

3. ohiomike

ohiomike Member

I think that speech was given by JFK, another upstanding, morally rich individual.

Yeah, that's the ticket...

4. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

Yeah, but on the teleprompter condition Obama matches the last president to perfection. Neil

5. ukwildcat

ukwildcat Member

Enough said!

6. crusha

crusha TS Member

Uk(labor union)wildcat:

Your graph is missing a rather giant blue set of bars on the Right end, with a letter "D" on them.

7. ukwildcat

ukwildcat Member

I guess that will be filled in at the end of his term! Again the truth hurts and it may hurt again at the end of Obama's term. Thanks for pointing out something that we can not possibly know, and your non comment on something we do know.You are transparent!

8. ukwildcat

ukwildcat Member

Buzz-nut, Buy the way you are right about one thing I am a union firefighter. If you or your kind do not like unions I would suggest that you try to live and buy all none union products and services. Union labor is American labor! In America, feeding American families. Call the illegal labor to put out your house fire and respond to your house with an ambulance to try to save your families life. You know what I do for a living, what do you do? From you anti-union comments, I bet you benefit from illegal immigrant labor.Buzz-nut if they play the bagpipes at my funeral and the funeral of many of my fellow firefighters. No one will ask if the rescue attempt that resulted in our deaths involved the rescue of a non-union person.

9. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

It was indeed JFK that gave that speech for his inauguration 50yrs ago today. There is little doubt that based on its content that He would be a member of the Republican party in the present day.

Robert

10. RAScott

RAScott Member

That was a great speech by JFK. I know Obama would never give that speech because it says "my fellow Americans". The man hates this country and all it stands for.

On the flip side of the equasion the congress was opposite the president, when Clinton was in office the republicans took over control of the house, then with Bush 2 the Democrats were in charge.

We all know who holds the checkbook? Congress. Now the first 2 years of Osama you will see the huge spike and I mean huge spike in the chart,Thats because the dems were in control of both the president and the house.

Now lets see what happens when the congress is republican ? I am sure the graph will start to decline, and Bozo will take credit for that also,So dont be fooled by a slanted graph.

Without a telepromter Obama looks like a bigger fool than Bush ever did. uh,uh, umm, uh, uh, umm,the only thing he is missing is DAH? but thats comming.

Bob S

11. porky

porky TS Member

Let's not forget that our great presidents, peanut carter and "I didn't have sex with that woman clinton" gutted the defense spending to show a gain in the budget. They both spent heavily in the liberal areas, pushing their agenda. It wasn't that they were great at their jobs, they were the worst. And let's also not forget that clinton gave(thanks to schumer of NY) gave us the largest tax increase in the history of the US(prior to osama that is) after he promise in his campaigning for the presidency, that he wouldn't increase taxes. Really, don't get me started on guber and willie.

12. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Watch what they do NOT what they say!

13. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

Easy way to skew the chart.

CUT OUT ALL THAT MAKES this country strong, healthy and growing!

Give what is left over to the WILL NOT's that can only take handout's.

Leave the building or rebuilding to the other guy!

Al

14. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) Banned User Banned TS Supporters

STS1100, you took the words out of my mouth. Congress controls the spending not the President. Bulge.

15. ukwildcat

ukwildcat Member

Where does the buck stop? You fellows appear to be more of a buck passer to me!

16. RAScott

RAScott Member

Uk, is that were your from? Because in this country the congress controls the checkbook not the president.

Bob S

17. ukwildcat

ukwildcat Member

Have you heard of Presidential Veto power? and Bob S I am suspect of your knowlege of the UK or world issues. You probably are a misinformed FOX {phoney news} zombie.

18. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

ukwildcat, RAScott beat me to it but your graph clearly fails to show the color of the congress in each of those cases where the debt increases and decreases; including the current situation. Flame on but it's simple, the Pres. has to at least try to get along with Congress. Watch it drop now until at least 2013 with the current makeup.

19. RAScott

RAScott Member

UK, and how many times has the republican president used his veto power to enact more spending? Our founders didnt want a one person goverment. that is why the congress handles the MONEY! other than that we might as well have king obama.

OH COULD YOU IMAGINE HIS EGO THEN?

BOB S

20. RAScott

RAScott Member

Thanks Rick, How to ruin a Friday.

Bob S

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.