1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reading The Misses

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wayneo, Dec 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

We have seen Doc Andrews' thread, "Reading The Breaks". Which is a very good thread.

Do you know where you miss? How many times have you thought or heard, "I was foot below that last bird", or "The one I missed on four strait-away I shot right over the top?"

Behind, below, in front, over the top.

Where are the misses, for an average to an above average shooter from sixteen yards? I would think with a trap gun at sixteen yards shooting at a target from thirty-five to forty yards, the LOWEST percentage of misses would be:

1. Shooting under the bird. Target is rising, gun shoots high.

2. Shooting to far in front, most average or better shooters can lead the target.

3. Shooting over.

4. Shooting behind.

Reading the breaks, is a good discussion for hitting the target. Smoke, or chip.

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!!! :)

Do you know where you miss? .... Wayne

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You should only be interested in how to hit the targets. Knowing why you missed is counter productive. Unless you want to become very good at missing targets. HMB

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Wayne- most targets are missed by shooting under them and/or behind them. Generally, if one moves the gun a little faster and with some aggression, they will shoot higher and break more targets.

Pat Ireland

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat,

Did you ever try changing your hold point or foot position instead of being more aggresive? HMB

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

HMB- Yes. When I hold lower, I shoot faster.

Pat Ireland

6. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

For a normal shooter that is not cross-firing and is right handed

he/she will shot under and left-- that means in front of lefts and behind rights

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.