1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Reading PAT TRAPS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shark1, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shark1

shark1 Member

Is it possible to read PAT TRAPS? If so are there any methods, i.e. 2 or 3 second delays? Michael Sharkey, D.C.

2. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

Interrupters prevent this unless the interrupters aren't working properly.

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Yup! BUT ... be prepare to hear "Lost! quite a few times!

:)

4. maka

maka Member

I overheard several gentlmen who are experienced shooters,(23-24.6) ave. They were disscusing this issue. Each agreed, it is very possible to do. One stated, "I do not like it". He also stated he prefers varibles. He stated often he will hesitate and agust his glasses or fake a gun shell insert problem.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Yes they are readable. They operate on a simple program with an interrupter which causes a pause in the left to right, and right to left movement of the trap machine. HMB

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Yes, they are readable. All you have to do is know the position of the various sized notches in the cam wheel on the 1 RPM clock motor, and have the ability to see it's positon before you start, and remember all this through all the targets of the 4 shooters behind you. Then if you have a slow shooter on the squad, remember to compute the off time so you can resume your count.

*Goes to Fridge to make another cocktail*............Yeah, sure you can. Send me your stock tips.

HM

HM

7. RLC323

RLC323 Member

It is a little known fact that all the AA/27/AA shooters know how to read the trap. Be it GMV, Wincester handset, or Pat. On a good day most can even read a GP.

But like magicians with a secret trick, they are sworn to secrecy once they get that pin from the ATA. So do not bother to ask them.

I can divulge this, reading a trap involves more than knowing in advance what target you WILL get. The advantage to reading is knowing what target you WILL NOT get.

8. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Good Idea, but on those occasions when the trap does not move at all(it happens) your theory goes bye bye.

The effort you put into this sorcery is much better expended with shooting technique improvement and concentrtion.

Of course, it will make you feel better knowing you can shoot like Big Dog Bill, just that you can't read the trap like he does. Yeah, that makes me feel better. *Back to Fridge*

HM

9. BFJ201

BFJ201 TS Member

I'm sure the best shooters can read the traps and get it right 70-80% of the time but at their skill levels it will cost them many more targets than it gains them. They cheat the wrong way just once and the event is over for them in singles, and in caps its not worth it either because of the losses that just tend to accumulate from the fence. While they have the ability its just not worth it for them to do it.

James

10. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I don't know about reading a Winchester Handset, runs about 50 60 70 Ossolations a minute, only pauses to throw a bird and even before recocking is moving again.

The PAT on the other hand only moves, or not, after a bird is thrown, and will sit still in between thrown birds, it will out wait the slowest caller.

But just when I think I have that thing down I will sit on a hard left and get a hard right

Al

11. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

You may believe that no one can read a Pat but, they sure are predictable. They are hydraulic and that big cylinder can only move so fast. All the squad has to do is get it where they want it and run the trap, as long as it's throwing targets it cannot move much. Only the lead shooter is shooting in the dark.

12. phirel

phirel TS Member

Great thread-- finally an option I can consistently win. You guess the angle of the bird and I will bet you are wrong. At $1 per bird, I should be able to make around $75 per hundred targets.

Pat Ireland

13. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

I don't have to read a trap. When I am on posts one and five, I KNOW I am going to get hard angles. Works for me!

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Trap machines would be hard to red if the interrupters caused the machine to change direction when it kicked in. But that is not the case. All they do is cause the machine to pause, and then continue on until it gets to the end, and then comes back the other way. It repeats the same program over and over, learn the program and you will be able to read the trap. HMB

15. porky

porky TS Member

Pat traps can be read easily. It reminds me of when Willie Mays got on base, after two batters, he had all of the other catcher's signals and when he got back in the dougout, he let his team mates know them and they would relay to each other the catches signals for pitches. Same with Pat Traps, they only have so many sequences and they are easier enough to figure out.

16. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

320090T...same here!

17. shark1

shark1 Member

Interesting responses. I know shooters have many styles and tricks in use, at all times. Thanks for posting so far. Mike Sharkey, DC

18. dvice

dvice TS Member

Big Az Al-I think you mixed up your thoughts. A winchester hand set stops when a target is thrown and has a slight pause after it cocks. With the right timing it can throw the same target forever. I can't speak for Pat's but I can assure you that a Super Star stops only when the interrupter is engaged. It has a 3 inch wheel with about 75 spots for movable buttons. I can create any pattern of stops that I want. Unless you sit in front of the trap with a stop watch and graph the pattern there is no way to predict it. I expect a Pat is the same as a Super Star.
    Dave Vice

19. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

It is very possible to read the traps, but I find that if you do this all the time you're really going to be losing a lot of your focus and instead of focusing on just hitting the bird, you're concerning yourself with where it's going to be all the time. Obviously, this multi-focusing will result in a lot of lost targets. However, I do read the trap only for station 5. I have found that if the bird previous to yours is a straight-away from your vantage point, the next will be a hard right. So I just watch out of those hard rights so I will be extra prepared, and I do not miss hard rights, ever.
    -Trappy

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Dave,

On your Super Star machine, did you change the pattern from what was set at the factory? Ever? HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.