1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

READ&KNOW the ATA RULE BOOK

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BigM-Perazzi, Jul 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

It's available online from shootata.com in a. Pdf form that works on most smartphones! It's searchable! Be the first on your squad to know the CURRENT rule, not the '96 rule that Ralph said Pete told him...

2. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

I suspect that the reason there are so many violations of ATA rules isn't because people don't know them, it's because they don't want to be bothered with them unless they agree with them. Certainly the ATA makes little effort to ensure the rules are being followed.

3. Basfshmn

Basfshmn Member

Before you start telling others what they should do, maybe you should read your own post. "This year I have seen more RULE violations at ATA shoots, than every." lol Rick

4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Rules??? Rule book????

We got rules???

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"Maybe the EC should put a rule in for NEW and some OLD shooters, to read and take a test about simple every day rule of ATA shooting."</i></blockquote>My guess is that the rules that TM1 sees get violated most are shooting procedure rules. Maybe the ATA should print a rule book for shooters that contains the stuff shooters need to know and put the rest of the administrative, organizational, technical and bookkeeping busy work on-line where the people who really want it can get to it. People who are only there to shoot, not administer or organize, are more likely to read 20 pages than 94.

Keller

6. PatMiles

PatMiles Well-Known Member

Keller,

I think you hit the proverbial nail squarely on the head. I am new to this game and found that trying to read the ATA rule book an almost impossible task. As you say, give me the rules that will directly affect me while on the Trap line. Offer the others either in a separate booklet or online so if and when I want to read them I can. As it is, it is pure drudgery. Try making it easier on the new guy.

Pat

7. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>"People who are only there to shoot, not administer or organize, are more likely to read 20 pages than 94. "</i></blockquote>

You want 20 pages to read? Then read pages 12 through 32. That has practically everything you need to know.

Sounds like the ATA has already satisfied your requirement.

But I guess you needed to actually read the Rule Book to know that.

8. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

hmmm, something about leading a horse to water....

9. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Ever hear of an index??

Don

10. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

The Table of Contents works too.

But they'd need to actually read the Rule Book to know about either one.

11. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Active Member

Rules ? RULES? We don't need no stinkin' rules.

12. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

If our shooting brethren (and sisters) are unable to read and comprehend the rule book...maybe their state delegates should have them banned.....

Curt

FEAB9

13. porky

porky TS Member

We should send letters to our Congressional reps and say just that to them about our Constitution and Bill of Rights. Let them take a test and if they fail, kick them out.

14. Hauser

Hauser Member

The ATA needs to reformat the rule-book so it mirrors the step by step process a new shooter takes at their first shoot.

You currently have to get to page 27 before the book describes the difference between a dead and lost target.

Jerry Hauser

15. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Good idea Jerry.

To add onto that thought, I think there needs to be a new shooter or "Beginners Guide". This would not replace the ATA Rule Book or seclude them from reading it. What it would do is outline in order the steps a new shooter would take just as Jerry above suggested. It would have a section in the back called FAQ(frequently asked questions). This would accompany the new shooter packet along with the ATA Rule Book and make it possible for shooters to understand what it takes to get started and how to do so. This book should be available to those considering joining as well. I know all the info is in the Rule Book but it gets confusing for someone new to the sport and not familiar with all the terminology. Just my thoughts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.