1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RE~

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hap MecTweaks, Sep 13, 2013.

1. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

What if a kid loading the trap inside HAD to make an emergency exit from the house at the time your friend set his trigger to call for his target?? The kid throws the cone on the roof, raises the red flag and crawls out??

Your friend is shooting a gun that isn't working as intended. Get it fixed properly or get one that does. Besides the danger aspect, it disrupts the harmony of others in addition.

I wouldn't use a release trigger that I couldn't disengage when necessary.

HAP

2. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

No, he should not use that gun until it is fixed. Is he able to keep the trigger set and use the slide release ??

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If he cannot disable the release by using the slide release button, the arm is unsafe for use. Period.

4. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

I'd consider this to fall under ATA Rule Book Section IV, I, 11:

"11. As a safety precaution, test shots will not be permitted under any circumstance."

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

It is unsafe. remove it until fixed properly...

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

If my truck brakes are not working is it ok to let it slam into the club house to stop as long as I yell out that I'm coming?

<br>
    <br>

Of course not......you get the brakes fixed.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

My 1100 has that same lever, and it disengages the release hook.

I would think the same should hold true for 870 releases. If not, whoever made it should be castrated.

HM

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

My 1100 has the same, pushing the release button locks the trigger/hammer sears again when I push mine. Then I can let off the pressure on the trigger.

Hap

9. trapman69

trapman69 Member

I shoot an 870 with a release have had quite a few actually either type doesn't matter. If your friend is not capable of resetting the trigger. HE SHOULD NOT USE IT! The release to own is a timney or spears they both reset by simply pushing slide release lever this lifts hook making it safe to release trigger. There are some out there you have to while holding trigger back hit slide release then pull slide back resetting trigger ( this is how you have to do most model 12 triggers ). Not the best way but can be done with practice. But again bottom line is if he can't safely reset and use the trigger he should not use it. He will not only make himself look unsafe but all release shooters. Tom R

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Sounds as if his 870 release actually works right, he is just not capable of operating it when disarming the trigger is needed. Like you I shoot a break open w/Release and it is quite easy for me to reach up and move the lever open while safely holding the trigger. If that wasn't the case, I wouldn't be using it. Safety always has to be first.

11. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Take the trigger out of the gun, now set the trigger so it is in release mode, now depress the slide opening button/slide release and see if it un hooks the release so the trigger can be released w/o dropping the hammer, if it does you need to have to try it in the gun w/o and shells and see if it will work properly.

It maybe the way the trigger is being installed in the gun.

Depress the action slide release and try installing the trigger again and see if it works properly.

Most of these triggers were built by either Timney or Schwab who both are now deceased, but Phillips can fix them.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

12. 7bcshooter

7bcshooter Member

Either your friend or his gun is unsafe and should not be on a shooting line where he is a danger to himself and others around him. I would have thought that common sense would have answered your question. Craig

13. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

trigger needs fixed or he needs to learn how to disarm it, they aren't hard to disarm if they are functioning properly.

14. hera200

hera200 Member

1100's don't have a slide release. That is why when building an 1100 release trigger, A good gunsmith always uses an 870 trigger assembly which does have one and is completely interchangeable in the 1100.
    The shooter then holds the gun with his right hand on the pistol grip (where it already is, while still holding trigger back) and reaches up with his left to push up on the 870 release. While holding it up, the trigger can be released without firing......BUD

15. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

1100 releases are not always made from converted 870 triggers. I have a
    Spears release that was a converted 1100 trigger. The mechanism is totally different from the 870 triggers, and it feels more precise and definitely is very fast. The set and release occur over a much shorter distance than the 870 triggers, and from the way it operates it also seems less likely to "pull through."

I unset it the same as my 391: by reaching around and pulling the bolt back.
    Though a little more effort, I'm used to doing that, and I feel more comfortable
    releasing the pressure on the trigger knowing the gun can't fire.

16. 7bcshooter

7bcshooter Member

Sportshot, In your statement you said your friend could not disengage the release trigger in his 870 as a statement of fact and the question was about firing a shot downrange. Firing a shot downrange is not unsafe. What is unsafe is the fact that someone is on the firing line with a loaded gun that they can't get the release trigger to disengage whether it is due to their inability or a defective trigger and I would have thought that you, as a certified instructor, would recognize this as being unsafe. I was not commenting on the firing of the shot but the fact that someone is on the firing line with that set of circumstances. I was not the only one that had that opinion. It is amazing when people can't come up with a valid argument to support their position they resort to name calling. Craig

17. KIRKS AUTO

KIRKS AUTO Member

dickgtax, in my mind has it right, even with my Timney (with the 870 button) I feel safer reaching over with the other hand and yanking back on the lever to put the gun in safe , no fire mode. If you shoot any of the other brand gas guns you will need to learn this method (as they may not have any other way to unset the release) Please do not fire the gun at a no target ( even tho it is down range, as it will scare the crap out of your squad mates) Kirk

18. reddbudd

reddbudd Well-Known Member

When I first went to a release and any time I changed guns I practiced at home with a snap cap in the gun until I know I can open the gun without if firing.
    Bud

19. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Seems like the trigger is worth more than the gun itself. I can only wonder why somebody would spend serious money putting a release trigger on a low-end $300.00 870, but that's just me.

20. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

I four 1100 releases and All of them have slot milled into them and an extended piece similar to an 870 is solderd on to the internal part which when pushed up lifts the hook out of the sear.