1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RE: SNAP CAPS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

10 Hurt, Including Teen, When Shotgun Goes Off At Gun Club

June 5, 2013 1:23 PM

ELBURN, Ill. (STMW) – Two men and a 14-year-old boy were hospitalized and several other people injured when a shotgun accidentally fired and the round struck the floor, bounced up and struck them at a west suburban gun club Tuesday night.

Emergency personnel were called to the St. Charles Sportsmen’s Club at 44W471 Keslinger Rd. in unincorporated Blackberry Township near Elburn about 7:30 p.m., according to the Kane County Sheriff’s office.

A 69-year-old St. Charles man who belongs to the members-only club had just completed target shooting and entered the clubhouse. He was to putting his 12-gauge shotgun away and thought he had inserted a snap cap, a plug used to save the firing pin while a gun is stored, according to a statement from the sheriff’s office.

But instead of the snap cap, he put a live shotgun shell into the gun, police said. With the man pointed at the floor, he pulled the trigger, and the gun discharged, sending buckshot to the floor, where it bounced up and out and struck several people in the clubhouse, police said.

Three people—a 31-year-old West Chicago man, a 60-year-old Somonauk man, and a 14-year-old Geneva boy—- were taken to Delnor Community Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, according to police.

Several others—police said at least seven but did not have a final list as of Wednesday morning—were treated at the scene, including the man who discharged the gun.

The sheriff’s office said the incident appears to be accidental in nature and it is unlikely that charges will be filed.

The club’s website boasts that it is “Dedicated to Sportsmanship Conservation Safety (and) Community.” The club, founded in 1933, “strive(s) to be good neighbors and community members, and do our best to promote the shooting sports in a safe, friendly environment.”

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2013/06/05/10-hurt-including-teen-when-shotgun-goes-off-at-gun-club/

2. Zoom.Golly

Zoom.Golly Well-Known Member

"He was to putting his 12-gauge shotgun away and thought he had inserted a snap cap"

I've seen a TV in a clubhouse shot by a snap cap. I've read on this forum of a clubhouse with hole in the wall compliments of a snap cap. I believe one of the frequent posters on this forum was sitting on the other side of that wall when it was ventilated by the snap cap.

I had a gun pointed at me and the hammer dropped on a snap cap. I was very close to calling 911 and asking for the police. I didn't call simply because I was a afraid of the grief that might fall on the club from such a call.

Keep your snap caps at home. Use them there if you must.

3. RogerAckerman

RogerAckerman Member

How can a Snap Cap Fire? (None Home Made) there's no way for one to shoot unless someone put's a primer in one or some powder is there. the firing pin can't hit one so had that it could break it, then have it travel thru the barrel, then go through the wall or TV could they??
    Don't get me wrong, I use them all the time, but not at the club. I just can't see how one can go off unless someone made a home made Snap Cap????

4. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

You need not call 911 if someone fires a snap cap at you. I have my own plan, but slapping the gun out of the shooter's hands and decking him with a good backhand would be step one. Snap caps and dry firing have no place in a gun club or a gun club parking lot.

5. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

69-year-old St. Charles man has ten (10) potential law suites pending. He may be bankrupt and not even realize it yet!

Is the also club responsible for allowing snap caps, and if so, will insurance cover it?

6. Zoom.Golly

eightbore - I can sympathize with that plan. That was my Plan A when I heard the hammer fall. Fortunately I was several feet away when the hammer fell, and this was an old guy, real old. I just can't bring myself to be smacking the elderly.

And if I would have decked him, 911 would have probably been called, I'd have been in a world of it, and the club would have been drawn into. The perp absconded before I could get to club management. They told me he won't be back.

7. APrice

APrice Active Member

Nothing wrong with snap caps. You really shouldn't be handling a firearm if you can't tell the difference in a snap cap and real ammo.

8. Zoom.Golly

APrice - Maybe they shouldn't, but they do anyway.

9. jhunts

jhunts Active Member

IF this rule on page 16 of the ATA rulebook was followed it would go a long way to never having this happen.

Snap caps or recoil reduction devices may be excluded from the
    above only if colored a safety orange as to permanently identify
    them as not being a live or empty shell.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

APrice,

There are some who would drown in a mud puddle.

Just Say'n...........

11. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

I've pulled the trigger 10's of thousands of times on empty chambers, I'm sure the damage will start any day now :)

12. oz

oz Active Member

I find it easier to remove and insert snap caps in front of my safe. when I get to the shoot I don't have to find a place to put the snap caps.

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Snap-Caps are NOT the problem... just as guns are not the problem with gang violence...

Why is it SO EASY to blame the snap-cap and not the person?!

Jay

14. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

I use wooly snap caps on my over under when I get home from shooting. Never even have them at the range.

Open and empty at the clubs, only way to go.

15. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Firearm safety.....

Rule #1. Treat every gun as if it were loaded. (That does not include pointing it at the floor and dropping the hammer.)

Rule #2. All actions must be OPEN---unless the gun is in a case, gun rack, or you are on a squad prepared to shoot.

Wayne

16. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with a snap cap. The use of snap caps at a gun club is what is "wrong". We shouldn't be putting anything in the chamber unless on the station. We shouldn't be snapping the trigger on an empty gun unless on the station. It's the rule for gosh sakes.

17. Zoom.Golly

Spitter - Look around. The clubhouse is full of knuckleheads.

Cactus - But they are shooting, whether they should be or not.

eightbore - Good point.

18. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Sammy... you got me on that one! (lol)

My club/range prohibits all dry-fire except on-range... no pointing in the clubhouse, actions open, etc. etc. etc. and I have an even greater challenge offering open public access - it's not just members to supervise and/or control...

There can be a safe use of snap-caps at a range... but the Indian has to know how and where it's appropriate to use the arrow...

respectfully,

Jay

19. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Follow the two rules mentioned above, and a snap cap is a moot point.

Wayne

20. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

I had an old guy close a gun and while pointed right at me pull the trigger. Only days ago I watched an old guy at a trap tournament walk around his trap with a closed gun, holding it at the balance point and painting everyone in sight with the muzzle. Totally oblivious to what he was doing.

My experience shows it is the oldest shooters who are the most dangerous. I think it is because the were BORN knowing how to handle firearms, and never having participated in overt gun handling safety lessons assume they are beyond the possibility of being screw ups. Good safety practices were never a habit with them, so unsafe handling practices did become habit instead.