1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Re-size loaded shells?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Engineeringtech, Nov 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Engineeringtech

Engineeringtech TS Member

I have an extremely old Sizemaster 20 ga. I didn't notice the nut which keeps the collet from turning, had loosened. During a reloading session, the collet backed out (rotated). I wound up with a hundred fully loaded shells which won't fit in my Benelli auto. I do not have a break action gun to put them in. I have readjusted the sizing mechanism, and tightened that locknut.

I'd rather not dissassemble all those loaded shells, or bury them. If I remove the decap pin, can I resize the loaded shells? Or is this just too risky?

Jim

2. jls7522

jls7522 Member

I am not an engineer...but those 100 shells couldn't be worth more than $30-40 at full retail. I value my vision to be worth at least double that :)

Cut them apart and salvage the components.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I wouldn't do it but have read where others have. I have to say i'd cut them apart before i'd risk it. You never wanna be the guy that it didn't work out well.

4. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

I had the same situation. I don't recommend it, but I resized them. Will I do it again? Dunno. I hope I don't have to make that decision.

Your dime, your eyes.

5. HC_John

HC_John TS Member

I have done it without issues other than it was nerve racking. If you try it, dont rush the resize, bring the arm down slowly.

John MI

6. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

The Super Sizer has a big warning on it and it reads "WARNING NEVER RESIZE LOADED SHELLS". I would say scrap em... or not

7. mag410

mag410 Active Member

I don't supposed the folks who think this is a bad idea ever closed a gun briskly to chamber a shell a bit over-sized?

Michael Goines

8. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Run them through a gun that will take them.

9. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Jim, I'd say this is a good excuse to buy another gun.

10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I think you will find that you will end up with a loaded shell stuck in the sizing die if you try this. Nomally the decapping assembly is what kicks the shell out of the sizer.

Been there - thought of the same 'solution' - ended up cutting the shells apart and salvaging components. These days I would probably find someone with an O/U that would chamber the shells and just give the ammo to him.

11. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

I bought .410 barrels for my Caesar Guerini Summit Sporting and found that my .410 reloads will not fit. I purchased a .410 collet for my MEC Super Sizer and resized them with it. I feel very comfortable doing this.

the MEC Super Sizer will resize more than the collet in the MEC Sizemaster. The linkeage on the Super Sizer is a bit more beefy.

Jim Skeel

12. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

I'd be sure to double check the inside of the collets for build up and SHOT that could make the process a bad day. I have considered doing this to some shells that I resized with my 650 and 600 MEC's. Those Ring sizers just don't do the job like the super sizer does.

I Hope we get more suggestions on this thread

13. JPettengill

JPettengill TS Member

The first MEC reloader I ever used, a "250" I think, re-sized loaded shells on the final stage. I guess MEC thought it was OK then.
    Jim Pettengill.

14. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Was this with the ring resizer or a collet type???

15. 3357

3357 Member

find/borrow an old MEC "case conditioner" and remove the primer punch.

16. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

Buy a shell cutter $35.00 from Gary Bulley (the unloader) on here and don't look back,

17. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

3357:

You may want to reconsider.

If Engineeringtech follows your suggestion, every shell will stick in the steel resizing ring like wolfram described above. Furthermore, during the resizing process, the loaded shells will be confined inside the steel tube - somewhat like a chamber. If a primer were to detonate, really bad things WOULD happen.

sissy

18. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

I have done this to more boxes than I care to admit. But, I wouldnt advise anyone to do so - you just never know. If I were to do more, I would think about getting a 3-4" heavy-wall steel pipe (closed on 1 end) that could be placed over the shell during re-sizing. It might offer just enough protection - heaven forbid.

19. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

I'd use a super sizer before I's use a conditioner. For some reason I feel safersafer w/ a collet squeezing the brass than having a sleeve going down toward the base. I have done it w/ the SS and didn't have a problem. I can assure you I didn't face the loaded shell as I pulled the handle down.

20. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

There are no issues doing this. The Super Sizer has nothing that will contact the primer as there is a hole in the collet in the middle. I have done this on many occasions with zero problems.

If it is safe for metallic reloading (they do it and there are dies made specifically for it), then a shotgun shell is a piece of cake.

ss

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.