1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RE Ranger XLW...RX insert vs ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mike L, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Mike L

Mike L Member

Need your opinion!

I have a pair of RE XLW frames and 4 pair of lenses (not RX) which I bought new about 5 years ago and just now I am able to get back to some trap shooting. Unfortunately I now need prescription glasses to see far although it is a light prescription still need them.

My question is RE makes an insert for my XLW glasse but how comfortable will they be? is it a noticeable weight? cost wise should I look in a different direction? Any information regarding comfort, cost or alternate options would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

2. RickyI

RickyI TS Member

Mike,

I have these and I really like them. They are a little bit more heavy, but they do the treat for me. I even have the bi-focal put in mine so I can read the fine print of the score card.... :)

To me, well worth the money, as your Rx changes, all you have to do this change out the small lens and not worry about all new glasses!

RickyI

3. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

I tried them and did not like the added weight. very noticeable when you sweat and cant keep them up on your nose. Another thing I hated about them is they are a curved lens witch causes distortion. All of this from experience. Good luck with your choice.

4. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Different people have different experiences with them. If you are OK with them as they are now, and the small added weight isn't going to bother you, and you want the most cost efficient setup, I would recommend going that direction first. I have them with the prescription inserts. While I recognize this isn't the ultimate setup they work fine.

5. Mike L

Mike L Member

Oh boy...sure wish the consensus wa one way or the other. Well I will give it some more thought and make a decision pretty soon thanks for the advice it was greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

6. Duck

Duck Member

If you not talking a huge amount of correction, I believe that's where the weight and distortion come in. Like others above mentioned you just have to
    change the insert with the XLW. I have a 1/2 dz set of lenses myself could probably get by with three most of the time but if these were individual sets of
    glasses I believe I'd be down to one pair!.

Search tags for this page

re ranger xlw inserts