1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Re-Plumbing House Advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by fssberson, Nov 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Well it is off-topic, but I can always get good advice here. Need to re-pipe the house. Besides copper, what else is available? Approximate cost for a 2 story 2,000 sq. ft. house? Fred

2. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

I would suggest hard copper for water supply lines and PVC (plastic) for drain lines. Larry Evans

3. 1290FPS

1290FPS Member

CPVC for the potable water, pvc for waste water, and I would definetly recommend shark bites.

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

with the new shark bites it is much easier before if you connected lines and had leak it was cut and coupling and hope any place you run plastic DO NOT fasten it tight it needs to move

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I haven't used it myself, but a friend of mine recommends a product called PEX pipe.

He is the Chemical Engineer for the water utility in Hastings, NE.

6. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

I have seen the pex pipe. A friend of mine remolded his old house with it, and another used it for his new construction house. Stuff was extremely easy to run. Its very flexible. You can run on hose from your basement to the bathroom faucet, no connections. Slick stuff. Bad news for pipefitters.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Pex is the latest. You need to buy a crimper, I believe. A friend uses it in rentals.

HM

8. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

for information only.

9. Butler

Butler TS Member

Been a plumbing contractor for 35 years, Pex or Rehau is the best there are also other products with different names, We've used pex for years without any problems, but Rehau is a better clamping system, it just costs more to use, if doing it by yourself I would suggest pex. PVC or ABS is pretty standard for waste and vent lines Jim Butler

10. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

PEX is the way to go, I used to do alot of plumbing, wish we would have had it then

I know the plumbers want to shoot me, but it's good stuff, and the crimpers aren't that high priced

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.