1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

#### RE-PLATING A K-80 RECEIVER ####

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by K-GUNS, Oct 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Are you talking about the nickle finish ?

Mine peeled from new. Krieghoff said the only way to fix was to send back to Germany for stripping and then re finish
    re plate it. They did it for free-had it six months-and the dealer, Chris Maest fit my barrel & wood to a loaner receiver so I could keep shooting.

Got it back-same as new over 7 years ago and still looks great-no trouble.

If your interested in getting yours re plated contact Chris from Clay Target Sports in Nj

He should have the answers you seek. He worked at Krieghoff International ( head man ) for years before starting his own shop.

2. mcguns

mcguns TS Member

DB Bill,
    About five years ago I sent my receiver back to Krieghoff to have it re-nickled. They told me it would be 3 months. Got it back in less than 2 months. I sent it to Krieghoff USA in Pa. and they in turn put my wood and barrels on a demo receiver and sent it back to me, all in a weeks time. So, I didn't have to be without a gun to shoot for more tan a week. Same thing on return of my receiver. In a nut shell I got a factory finish on my receiver and forend iron for $400...five years ago. I'm sure it's more now.
    Good Luck,
    Gary

3. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

$650 now!!

4. gbatch

gbatch TS Member

I had the same experience as mcguns and at the same cost. With inflation and the exchange rate differential, I'd say $650 is a fair price. Not only is the receiver renickeled - it's completely rebuilt. You will think it's factory new.

Gene Batchelar
    Wheaton, IL

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Stripping the old nickel is where 1/3 of the cost of redoing the job comes from. The nickel has to be stripped with an acid bath. If someone says they can do it on the "cheap" you'll end up the same as Whiz White's Perazzi. The company that strips it must have an operator at the tank all the while the process is happening. If someone throws it in a tank and walks away, the plating will be removed, but also the steel itself will start to pit.

I pay $125-$150 for my plater to strip nickel. The parts are never left alone.

My suggestion is to send it to Krieghoff this winter. It's the slow time of the season, and you'll be sure to have it back by the spring openers.

The difference between having someone here in the states (like me, Kolar, or Giacomo) doing it, is that we may not be able to match the exact same texture as the factory job. Different sized glass beads will produce the different texture. It may be a very subtle difference and you may not care, but some do.

Doug Braker

6. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Ya know Doug I don't know you but that was a very good, honest post.You sound like a stand up guy !!

crab

7. todman2

todman2 Member

Call Ernest Marlette, he has done several guns for me, The most recent was my K80 which was a Satin Nickle finish which he refinished with the new style nickle finish. Also did a Belgium Browning which was in bad shape and it looked like a new gun by the time he was done. He is now rebluing my Crown Grade Krieghoff. It takes him about 3 to 4 weeks and the cost ranged from 350.00 to 450.00 and the great part is he goes through the triggers while he is doing the refinishing so its like a new gun when it comes back to you.

Ernest Marlette 336-761-0433
    Salem Winston NC.

todman02

8. FranzSodia

FranzSodia TS Member

DB Bill, I have to agree with Doug. Have friend that shoots a K-32 crown at skeet of all things. It was blue one with all the gold birds, fox and inlays. He sent it Krieghoff and had it finished in Titanium Nitride. It doesn't stick to the gold but did to everything else. Its tough as can be. This guy shot up about 80,000 shells over the course of two years and the finish on the receiver still looks great. It has a grey coin color to it. Too bad all those shells and effort weren't put to better use on the trap range. John E.

9. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

John,

Are you sure that maybe Kreighoff didn't do an acid wash? This will give that "antique" gray look. Titanium Nitriding (TiN coating), will leave a gold color on steel.

I also don't believe Krieghoff does any nitriding as you would fined on the current Brownings. This finish is a heat-treated process.

Doug Braker

10. LAD39

LAD39 Member

John

Gave my k32 to kieghoff INT. 610 847 5173
    They sent to Germany for acid strip and re-nickle. 6 Months Later got it bact and still looks great today 4 years later price at that time $450.00
    (I would do it the same way again)
    Bob Presto

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favor and let KI send it back to Germany for the job. You WILL get your money's worth!

12. FranzSodia

FranzSodia TS Member

I guess it is possible Doug. But my buddy with crown grade stated that it was titanium nitride. I have no reason to doubt him. However, various metals may take on a different appearance. Also, on remington 700 XCR's it appears that they have a TriNite finish, presumably titanium nitride for anti corrosion and those guns have a gray coin color, not gold. But then again I am no expert on this. I was suggesting that DB Bill may want to consider and look into it. John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how much does it cost to nitride a kriegoff reciever

re nickel plate krieghoff