1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Re-Nickled K-80 Reciever, does it de-value the gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kingcohojoe, Apr 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingcohojoe

kingcohojoe Member

How much does the value of a K-80 drop once the reciever has been re-nickled?

Joe

2. David McMillen

David McMillen Banned User Banned

If its done by Krieghoff, it shouldn't lose any value.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Depends on the quality of the job- these arent collectors items

One would think that it would be worth more after a good nickle job than it was before when the nickle was worn off

Regards from Iowa

Gene

4. kingcohojoe

kingcohojoe Member

The reciever is a Parcours and if you look at a new one you will see a black outline around the scenery. The owner states it was nickled by Krieghoff, however that black outline is now gone it is all silver. When you are shopping for a used gun, you come across a lot of these re-nickled recievers, I wonder why?

Joe

5. kingcohojoe

kingcohojoe Member

Rey

Thanks I will do that, I believe its a 1994, I assume they should have it in a datbase?

Joe

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I'd rather buy a gun with a good re-do than one with a crappy original finish. Target guns are made to be shot, and a re-blue or re-nickle every now and then is not that big of a deal.

You might want to call krieghoff as a possible warranty issue though, if its a defect and not general wear, I believe the nickle finish is warranted for the life of the gun.

7. kingcohojoe

kingcohojoe Member

How much does the value of a K-80 drop once the reciever has been re-nickled?

Joe

8. David McMillen

David McMillen Banned User Banned

If its done by Krieghoff, it shouldn't lose any value.

9. g7777777

Depends on the quality of the job- these arent collectors items

One would think that it would be worth more after a good nickle job than it was before when the nickle was worn off

Regards from Iowa

Gene

10. kingcohojoe

kingcohojoe Member

The reciever is a Parcours and if you look at a new one you will see a black outline around the scenery. The owner states it was nickled by Krieghoff, however that black outline is now gone it is all silver. When you are shopping for a used gun, you come across a lot of these re-nickled recievers, I wonder why?

Joe

11. kingcohojoe

kingcohojoe Member

Rey

Thanks I will do that, I believe its a 1994, I assume they should have it in a datbase?

Joe

12. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I'd rather buy a gun with a good re-do than one with a crappy original finish. Target guns are made to be shot, and a re-blue or re-nickle every now and then is not that big of a deal.

You might want to call krieghoff as a possible warranty issue though, if its a defect and not general wear, I believe the nickle finish is warranted for the life of the gun.

13. g7777777

Nickle finish is not warranted for life- they have a standard redo fee for that.

Agree that it doesnt matter if it is a redo or not- better than one with "shined" nickle or worse yet worn through

Black outlines on silvered colored guns is usually jewlers rouge- no big deal- anyone can do that

Regards from Iowa

Gene

14. kingcohojoe

kingcohojoe Member

I would like to thank all of you for your response. I took your advice and called krieghoff today and they gave a complete histiry of the gun, and they did the re-nickeling in 2004, what was intersting was that it was sent to Germany for the process it in not done in the UGA. Gene you were right the black outline is done with jewelers rouge.

Joe

15. cbxchris

cbxchris Active Member

My spare is in Germany now. I had them redo the gold broken clay top latch also and they wanted to touch up the engraving in a spot. 950 bucks plus shipping home. I don't mind at all because I KNOW its going to look like new when it gets back. That also includes a annual.

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Well done, and done by K, no problem unless the redo "softened" the look of that pretty Parcours engraving. If not then there should be little to no devaluation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.