1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Re-loading Remington vs Win aa's

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vpsr6, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vpsr6

vpsr6 Member

Re-loading Remington vs Win aa

I was comparing an example of the same recipe on the Alliant site in a Remington vs a Win AA's hull. It appears that the Win AA's have a higher pressure (around 2000) than the Remington for the same recipe. I thought that the hulls were basicly the same. I ask the question because I load a Remington Claydot (16.5gn) recipe with a Fed 209A and AA style wad, 1 oz shot (8240 psi). It is only listed for Remington hulls not AA but I have been loading it in both hulls I don't think the pressure would exeed 10k in the AA hull anyway but just curious about the different pressures.

2. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I have reloading with Clay-Dot, as Clays in my area has been hard to find. I've been using Remington primers to reduce chamber pressures. Lots of smart guys on here, I am anxious to follow threads. I think that less Chamber pressure may reduce the recoil, but not sure, assuming that one has a good gunfit.

3. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

vpsr6

There's good information and smart people on this site, but when it comes to something like this, I recommend you get on the phone and call Alliant.

Since your pressure is very low, I suspect they'll say you're good to go, but you never know for sure until you call.

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

vpsr6

Be careful about swapping around with components based on only a few observations, without data to support it. Some powders and data show exactly he opposite of what you observed. Either use the data exactly as written, or contact the manufacturer, or send some loads out for testing. Anything else is a crapshoot.

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Re-loading Remington vs Win aa

<blockquote><I>"I think that less Chamber pressure may reduce the recoil, but not sure, assuming that one has a good gunfit."</I></blockquote>

Peak chamber pressure has nothing directly to do with recoil, felt or otherwise. Recoil is a result of how much mass you are trying to move at what speed.

AA hulls have less internal capacity than Remington hulls. The same components in a smaller space will yield higher peak pressures.

<blockquote><I>"... but I have been loading it in both hulls I don't think the pressure would exeed 10k in the AA hull anyway but just curious about the different pressures."</I></blockquote>

This is a dangerous assumption. DO NOT GUESS AT PRESSURES! If there is no data for the components you want to use, you have 2 choices:<UL><LI>load samples of the components and send them to be tested for pressure and velocity<LI>load component combinations for which data exists</UL>

[Didn't mean to repeat you, Quackshot. I was typing while you were posting.]

MK

6. vpsr6

vpsr6 Member

Thanks all good advice, I will send a message off to Alliant to be sure. The AA hulls are a bit shorter.
    thanks
    Vic

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You can't have recoil without pressure. HMB

8. birdtracker

birdtracker Active Member

Quack shot is right. I shoot a load that is in an AA hull. It has less pressure than in a Remington. Birdtracker

9. Unknown1

<blockquote>"You can't have recoil without pressure."</blockquote>

That's right... but the amount of recoil you feel is not a function of how much or how little peak pressure is developed by the powder charge.

MK

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

MK- You do remember your Eight Grade science, I wish others did. My system (quick and not completely accurate) of estimating the relative total recoil of different loads is simply to multiply the shot weight by the velocity. It is handy while standing in the shotgun shell isle of a store.

Also MK, it is difficult for some who do not understand the Laws of Motion to accept the Laws of Motion. Perhaps if you explained how to calculate the area under a pressure curve everyone would understand.

Pat Ireland

11. Unknown1

Summer vacation came before we got to that part of 8th grade science, Pat.

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.