1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Re-fitting Sub-gauge Tubes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeeljc, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Does anyone have any experience in moving a Briley Ultralite tube set to another gun?

I have a set of Briley Ultralite subgauge tubes that are fitted to a Browning 425. I want to move them to a Browning XS Skeet. Both guns have 30" barrels. The chambers on the two guns measure exactly the same where the tubes are fitted to the gun (0.25" and 0.90" from the breach). The center portion of the aluminum tube will not enter the bore past the forcing cone on the XS Skeet.

I assume you could turn the center portion of the aluminum tube to fit the bore in the XS Skeet. I do not have a bore gauge long enough to reach the bore to measure the difference in the two guns.

I have called Briley but cannot talk directly to anyone with enough knowledge to determine what needs to be done. They gave me to a guy named Ted who relays my questions to the people who know the answers. Ted has difficulty following a train of thought if it takes more than one sentence.

Jim Skeel

2. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

Jim.....Call Briley again and ask for Gary Singer. He appears to know everything there is to know about Briley tubes and will give you the straight skinney about re-fitting. He was up-front with me and it was a pleasure to talk with him.

Jere

3. wolfee

wolfee TS Member

I spoke with Gary when I had choke tubes installed in my k32. He was top notch, very knowledgeable and informative.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You should be able to get the job done with a full length bore mic, a dial caliper, and a lathe. HMB

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, Browning Invector Plus bores can vary from .735" to .740"+, depending on model.

You are stuck between a rock and a hard place. If you hack on the tubes, you might have recurring problems with the 20 ga tubes. If you hog out the barrel, Browning will not work on it if needed.

Call Gary Singer. I am a Briley distributor, and can tell you he will need to have the gun and tubes in hand. Expect a charge whether they can fit the tubes or not. It will take time for a tech to make a determination on whether the tubes will work. They may need to refit the chambers with new tubes. Do not be surprised if you pay shipping both ways, an inspection charge, and are told the tubes cannot be retrofitted.

This is NOT Briley's fault.

My advice is, if you must have the XS tubed, sell the 425 tube gun, and have a new set built for your XS. The "X" series is the flagship of the Citori line. They are simply fabulous guns.

6. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

Briley told me on more than one occasion that they would not refit tubes for another gun. They were very plain about it.

It may involve concern over the removal of the exterior hardening of the aluminum tubes. Or, it may simply be a desire to sell another set of tubes. In these "sue everyone you can" times it may just not make business sense to assume additional risk.

7. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Trimming the diameter of the bosses is no big deal. I don't know if Briley hard-coats the aluminum tube or just anodizes them. While I was at Kolar, we would cut the boss to the new diameter and send it out for re-hard-coating. It may not even be neccesary to put anything on them after cutting.

With regrds to the chamber adapters, You have a 50/50 chance they would work. Just because you were able to measure one portion the the chamber, maybe to within .001", the chambers are hand fitted to a tighter tolerance than that.

A quick way to know if the chambers would work, would be to remove the chamber from the aluminum tube, and try it into the 12ga chamber. This would prevent the uneccessary cutting of the aluminum bosses if the chambers didn't work....ie, being too loose.

The chambers constitute more than half the price of the complete set, so if they didn't fit, you're better off selling them with the original gun they were fit to.

One other thing, the new receiver will need to be re-work, so that the gun will set up the second shot, while shooting the 410ga.

Doug Braker

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Neither briley nor Kolar will do this with their older tubes

Kolar will do it with one of their new tubes but will charge for parts

I have done it myself and it is a lot of work on a lathe

bottom line- dont do it

Sell the gun or the barrel with the tubes

regards from Iowa

Gene

9. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

The tube chamber is a light press fit (about .0008") in the first inch of the 12 gauge chamber. The 12 gauge chamber appears to be tapered slightly. My measurements are within a couple of tenths (.0001"). I will remove one chamber to check if they will fit before attempting any turning of the aluminum. I ordered a bore gauge to check the bores on each gun. That way I can tell how much will need to come off the tube.

I have had the bore measured on the 425 some time ago and it is .743" or .744" as I remember it. The center portion of the aluminum tube mics .740". That is not a very close fit. I will double check this when I get the bore gauge.

I may not do any modifying as I am considering having the XS Skeet made into a carrier barrel with a new set of tubes. I mainly shoot .410 and 28 for skeet and the older I get the less I like a 10.5 pound gun!

Thanks for all the help,

Jim Skeel

10. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

You may also find the the 12ga chamber will need to be lengthened to 3" to accomodate the 20ga tubes.

11. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Jim

Making your XS into a carrier gun is a DELIGHTFUL idea. Who needs a 12 on the Skeet field anyhow?

We old heads know the 28 will take care of any chores on the Skeet field. A friend of mine, on the State Skeet Team in younger days, shot the 28 and 410 exclusively. He shot the 28 on Dubs. Did I mention he was on the State Team? LOL The 28 does the job.

Your carrier concept will do the trick. I enjoy the 20 for Skeet, but consider it the big gun. It is more than is needed. Its claim to fame is cheap brass and ammo. I load 3/4 oz at 1250 in the 20, and the birds do not know the difference! I load 11/16 oz at the same speed in the 28.

I prefer and recommend the Briley Ultimate Ultralite Tubeset. Gary will set you up right. I also like the Revolution tubes. There is about a two minute learning curve to installing and removing them (they are TIGHT), but they seem to be less fussy about ejecting imported and econo shells.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

fitting subgauge tubes