1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Re-claim shot in RCBS Grand

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smittys800, May 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smittys800

smittys800 TS Member

Anybody use Re-claim shot in their RCBS Grand?
    After about 4-500 rounds, the plastic shut off slides start to bind up, eventually locking up completley, until I clean things up.

I was thinking of spraying some wd-40 or such, before I load up with some Re-claim, maybe help with the dust and grit?
    Any thoughts on this...
    Smitty

2. smittys800

smittys800 TS Member

3. late bloomer

late bloomer TS Member

I have used reclaimed shot in my RCBS Grand. I have made about 700 shells. I have had no problems. The reclaimed shot I use is Very clean and the graphite level appears to be the same as regular magnum shot. Also, the shot has been screened so it is either 71/2 or 8 shot in the mixture.

I have had my Grand since they first came out. I have had to replace the plastic shut off slides several years ago. This was before I ever used reclaimed shot. I use reclaimed shot for practice. In competition I use regular 71/2 shot.

When tuned right, the Grand is an impressive press. It is not a Spolar, but for the price it is outstanding.

Terry Sandlin

4. zstaylor2

zstaylor2 Member

Smitty

Take your shot and sift it roll it around with your hands or shake it try and get all of the graphite out and you will have to do this for every bag of shot other wise it will start to bind again. Also take you machine apart and get all of the dust out and you might want to look at the shut off gates they will start to get a notch in the back from the shot tube order a new one of those and you should have your problem fixed. I had the same experience except it was from sho that got wet and oxidized. Hope you get your problem solved.

Zach

5. smittys800

smittys800 TS Member

Sounds good,
    Got some screen material so I can sift it before use, love the press, sure beats the PW I just got rid of, that was a nightmare, but it was an older unit.
    Thanks for the tips,
    Smitty

6. Shootrman

Shootrman Member

I personally shoot nothing but reclaim shot.
    But I clean it myself and is exceptionally clean, polished and graphited.
    Use nothing but RCBS Grand for the last 5+ years without a hitch. I will admit about 4 years ago I sent the press in to be gone over because I do an excessive amount of loading

7. warren

warren Member

I use it in my Grand no problems

warren

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Grands are very sensitive to the graphite content of shot. When I had mine, I bought a batch of Lawrence shot that had visibly more graphite on it than usual and the shot gate bound up. When the RCBS support folks said it was the graphite, I was doubtful because graphite is a lubricant but using shot from a different lot number cured the problem.

Ed

9. smittys800

smittys800 TS Member

Shootman,
    How are you polishing your shot. I have numerous tumblers to use, just never polished shot before

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.