1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

re-checkering?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Cooter, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cooter

Cooter Member

Would like to try re-checkering,would appreciate any info on tools,instructional tapes,difficulty,etc.,thanks in advance.

2. high 2

high 2 Member

Brownells has everything you need. Good luck and don`t get in a hurry. high 2

3. Cooter

Cooter Member

Thank high2,I looked in Brownells and they do have a lot of stuff.The question is what do I need to just re checker,what instrucional vids are best and how hard is it?Thanks again.

4. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Cooter, I can't help with your question but wondered where you were from. Your name is a common term in my area where we float down the river and shoot cooters off the logs. I'm in South Georgia. LOL Jackie B.

5. high 2

high 2 Member

It depends on the gun you`re wanting ti recut the checkering on. If it is a course checkering like a Browning or a Krieghoff with 18-20 lines per inch a single line fine cutter in a 90 degree will work fine. If you are looking at something like a Perazzi or Beretta with 24 lines per inch a 60-75 degree cutter will work best. If it is a fine checkering and well worn, you`ll be best served to send it to someone who does this kind of work. It is a job that I would not recommend for a beginner. Larry

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Checkering is an art. A learned process over a long time. Do yourself a favor and sent the stock to a Pro.

7. Cooter

Cooter Member

Thanks again Larry,I guess the best thing to do is get a good video and take a look. Shootig Jack,One of my friends gave me that nick name when I was 10 years old,he had me out in the woods at 2 in the morning with a flash light hunting coots LOL,it stuck!By the way, I come from way north of you where there are no coot.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

Brownells has an excellent book on checkering. It is much better than a video. A file, some sort of rigged stock vice (pipe clamps in a vice work well) and some practice wood will get you going. I agree with Larry. Recutting very worn checkering is more difficult than checkering new wood.

I would not call checkering an art, it is more of a craft than an art. And, it is a lot of fun.

Pat Ireland

9. high 2

high 2 Member

Pat, I just spent 10 hours recutting the checkering on a custom TM1 forearm. I won`t make much on that job. You are correct, it would have been faster to start from scratch. Larry

10. Cooter

Cooter Member

Thans for the info Pat,I'll look for that book.

11. Joey  S.

Joey S. TS Member

There is a very nice video on gunstock checkering put out by a fellow named
    Joe Balicke. Do a search on gunstock checkering dvd with his name. Joe S.

12. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Monte Kennedy, who wrote the defintive book on checkering stated that a Howitzer gun turret was almost sturdy enough to mount your checkering vice to!!LOL

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I've done recheckering and cleanup checkering. But I would suggest if you are going to do this on a really nice stock that you practice first on a cheap used gun.

My 9422 Trapper and 9417 both came new with crappy checkering. I had to do a lot of cleanup work on them.

14. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Pick up some old broken stocks from a gunsmith to practice on if possible. It takes a little while to get to the point that you make the right moves. I would suggest that you use a 60 degree cutter first no matter how many lines to the inch you are working on. I find the 60 to be easier to control than the 90. On some you will want to finish with the 90 degree cutter and on some the 60 will do what you want. I like the Gunline cutters as I find them easier to keep in the previously cut lines than those with fine file like cutters.

15. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Gunline are the ones I used. The double cut versions work great for positive spacing. The single cuts I used for the borders.

16. phirel

phirel TS Member

First, get and study the book by Kennedy. It is great. You don't need gun stocks to practice. First, some small flat blocks of wood will work. Then, when you think you are good, checker a 2 inch wood dowel. If you can do that, you can do any gun.

Pat Ireland

17. Cooter

Cooter Member

Thank you to all that replied,very,very helpful!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

beretta checkering lines per inch

checkering lines per inch on a beretta 682 shotgun

lines per inche checkering beretta 391

re checkering gun stocks

re chequering gun stocks

recheckering