1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Re-Chambering rifle

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by englishupland, Jun 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. englishupland

englishupland Member

I have a 30-06 double rifle that I would like to re-chamber to 300H&H

Anyone know what
    I am getting into here?
    Cost?
    Someone who does this that you have had experience with?
    Thanks

I have heard you can also rent the reamers.

2. Mohave60

Mohave60 Member

Why you want to do that? The 06 is just as good as the 300 H&H. Ammo is easier to come by.

3. kehrby

kehrby Active Member

Because HE WANTS to!

4. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Englishup, you have mail.

John E.

5. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

It seems to me that there would be a lot more involved than just cutting a chamber. The .300 H&H has a much bigger head size, a belt, and is much longer. It would be simpler to rechamber to something like an Ackley Improved .30-06, and have fairly close to .300 H&H performance.

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What kind of double rifle is it? Is it a collector's piece? Or is it one of the Russian/Turkish/whatever imports?

If you really want something traditional, have you considered a Ruger #1 Tropical in 375 H&H? This particular model in this particular chambering has a reputation for accuracy, and the #1 in this configuration superficially resembles the British Farquharson rifles (pictured above).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

nice picture of that rifle Brian- is that yours?

regards from Iowa

Gene

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Can the frame of a 30-06 take the force of a 300 H+H? Thats like take the engine out of a pinto and dropping in a 400cc. Just buy another gun and be happy with it.

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Gene, I only wish it was mine.

Been wanting a Ruger #1 in 375 H&H since I was a kid. But what I'll probably wind up with is a used #1 in 45-70 that I can put a long barrel on and restock to make a replica of an English Creedmoor long range rifle. But even that project has Winchester 1885 Single Shots lined up in front of it.

10. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I'm sure it can be done. But, it might not have the appropriate twist and might not regulate POI without quite a bit of additional work...

11. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

The rifle in the pic appears to be a Farquarson.....very nice...and it was bill Ruger's inspiration for the No. 1......one note on the 300 H&H....they had a reputaion for difficult extraction in some rifles because of the amount of taper in thier case walls....

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Ruger now has their #1 available in 300 H&H. :^)

13. MX/MT

MX/MT TS Member

The performance increase would be negligible going to a 300 H&H, but I would much rather have a double chambered for it than 30-06.

I love the old classic H&H cartridges. I have a M70 in 300, and a Whitworth in 375. Great old cartridges. Will do (and have done - many times over)everything the 'modern' SuperWildcatHowMuchPowderCanICramInIt UnbelievableSuperUltiMaxiMagnum will do.

If you handload, you can get some performance advantage out of the 300 H&H over the '06, but not much. That certainly wouldn't be my reason for doing it.

I like your idea, but as has been noted, there's a lot more than just running a reamer in it when you're looking at a double rifle. Pressure is the least of your concerns.

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Problem with extraction was more a function of the cordolite powder spiking high pressure when the temps were HOT.. New powders today have pretty much eliminated that problem.. The long taper does promote forward brass flow..which weakens brass for reloading.. While a good old trooper..I'd keep the rifle in 30-06.. and maybe have Simmons make a set of barrels for something larger.. Like maybe 375 H&H..

15. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

Unless it's built very light I would think 300 HH would be doable, it's not all that powerfull but looks right for a double rifle. Look at some reloading manuals will give you an idea of the pressures, you could even load it down with some lead bullets and have fun with it.

16. englishupland

englishupland Member

Thanks for the replys..
    The barrel is a Heym, and I am talking with a couple people as regards to the regulating of it to the H&H.....30-06, while readily available, and fairly cheap have doubled in price, and I thought I'd like to try the H&H as I have some already.

Correct in saying the long range accuracy wont help me in a DR, but bullet shape of the H&H seems appropriate.....

I have been told the extractor work could be difficult

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.