1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

?? Re Browning Invector Plus Chokes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pdq, Aug 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdq

pdq Member

I'm trying to get some new shooters into trap and recently bought a BT-99 Micro which came with a choke having 1 "dimple" on the surface. When I measure it with a bore guage, it chokes at .028.

I'd prefer to have the gun choked at somewhere in the area of .018 to .020.

If so, which Invector Plus choke, i.e. how many dimples, should I buy from Browning?

In advance, many thanks for your help,

Pete

2. bowsnbulls

bowsnbulls TS Member

Pete,
    On Brownings the following is a guide on chokes
    1=Full
    2=Improved Modified
    3=Modified
    4=Improved
    5=Skeet
    I am pretty sure this is correct only questioning myself on the Improved and Skeet.
    Roger

3. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

My INV+ modified choke measures .018" restriction and will grind up singles targets in either my XT, BT-99, or BT-100. Marc

4. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

I would forget Browning chokes and get Briley or AnglePort. They measure dead on for constriction. Out of 15 Browning chokes I have, only 2 come close to what they are supposed to be. One of them marked MOD is only choked .010. That's .010 off as marked. They are junk IMO.
    My Brileys and AnglePorts are all within .0005 as marked. Plus on the pattern board they more then prove themselves with nice hot cores and a very even pattern. That's testing them with the same shell (Rem STS) at the same yardage, just a new sheet of paper.
    Browning Diana Grade and up chokes are made by Briley, but you're going to pay big time.
    By the way, I have 3 Brownings and a CG Combo. The Brownings have extended Invector Plus chokes and the CG has stock chokes. Browning a .742 bore and the CG a .735 bore. The CG on paper always performs better then the Browning's with Briley or AnglePort chokes. Forget the stock Browning chokes.
    If you pattern your chokes you'll start to understand. Just make sure your'e using the same shell on paper. Apples to apples.

Mike C.

5. pdq

pdq Member

Thanks guys.

Yes, I know from experience that going by the name (ex: Modified) can mean different things, which is why I go with the numbers.

So -- Mike C. -- if I go with the Brileys, which ones will get me into that .018 to .020 range?

Pete

6. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

On Brileys extended chokes my Invector plus measure as follows....

LF .030

IM .025

M .020

LM .015

IC .010

SK .005

C .000

7. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

PDQ,

Daddiooo has it correct.
    Thats how I measure chokes.