1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? re 1100 action spring

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Doorknee, Apr 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doorknee

Doorknee TS Member

I have Rem. 1100 Magnum. When I replace magnum barrel(1 gas port) with Rem. trap barrel (2 gas ports) action will not cycle. Does Rem magnum have stronger action spring than regular 1100 and if I change spring will action cycle?
    Shell I'm shooting is Rem. once fired hull with 18 gr Red Dot- claybuster wad-1 1/8 oz. # 8 shot.
    Don D.

2. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

No there is no diffrance in the action spring. There is a diffrance in the action sleeve the one on the Magnum is heavier. This should not cause a problem with the load you are using as I can shoot the same load with 17.5 Red dot from mine. I would check the ports on your barrel with a small drill (By Hand) to poke out any carbon.Also be sure your rings are NOT lined up split to split and your "O" Ring is good.

3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Not that it's going to be any help to you. But I have two them for junior's shooting use. One works fine and the other is marginal. I always figured it may be in the spring and tube in the stock as you do. I'm using 1oz Top Guns in them. 1 1/8 oz, no problem with either. Good luck, Bob

4. twoatlow8

twoatlow8 Member

I would disassemble clean it and look at the spring and follower. However my theory is if it is a Magnum and was shot alot the spring should just be weaker and make lighter shells function better. I would look at dirt and the gas system for the problem.

5. shotgun 1

shotgun 1 Member

If you aren't shooting it "wet", give it a try. Breakfree or FP 10 have worked well for me.
    Dave

6. trw

trw Member

Take the butt stock off; remove the recoil spring & measure it's free length. If it is 14 & 1/4" or less, replace it w/a new one. Recoil springs are the same for all 1100's, STD or Magnum. New, they are roughly 15 & 1/4" in length. Also check that the 'piston' [the part that the recoil spring pushes & that the action 'fork' fits into] is not aluminum. If it is, replace it w/a STEEL one. The aluminum ones can & do bend, adding undue friction to the recoil spring's action & causing malfunctions.

The bolt carrier for the magnum models is heavier than what is used on the standard & target guns. You may be able to replace the bolt carrier on your Mnagnum w/one of the lighter bolt carriers & have it function fine, even w/the magnum bbl.'s one gas port hole. You won't know until you try. Is there someone you shoot w/that could lend you their std. weight bolt carrier to try? That's your best bet for an inexpensive trial. Should that NOT work, then you are relegated to either enlarging the hole dia in your Mag bbl. and NOT using it for Matgnum cartridges in the future or cahnging out both the bolt carrier and the bbl. to target or std. weight versions.

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    What's the dram equivalent of the load?

8. Doorknee

Doorknee TS Member

Thanks to all for your replys. I'll try the disassemble and through cleaning and check position of gas rings, clean gas port holes etc., if that does'nt work I'll try some of the other suggestions.

I bought this gun from older guy (neighbor) who said he took it duck hunting only a few times, shot less than 100 times so I'm assuming action spring is still strong.

Don D.

9. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

According to some publications the Magnum model did have a stronger spring from the factory although if you look at Remington's parts list they only offer one part number spring for all 12ga.

I had a 3" gun that gave me problems until I replaced both the bolt carrier and the spring. I did them both at the same time so I couldn't tell you which was the fix. Even some target barrels had bigger holes than others. I really don't know why.

Make darn sure the gun is clean.

Mark

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.