1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RCBS versus Hornady 366

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Trifecta, May 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trifecta

Trifecta TS Member

Been reloading a lot of 20 gauge shells on a MEC Sizemaster. The press is adequate, but it sure is timeconsuming and manual dexterity is a must!. So, I'm thinking of going the progressive route and the two more popular loaders that come to mind in the $500.00 range are the RCBS and the 366. I have an RCBS Grand for 12 gauge, and am very pleased with the overall performance. A few idiosynchrasies, but I've learned to live with them. The one feature I find as invaluable, is the "no wad, no shot drop". Saved my butt a bunch of times!

Anyone have experience with both, and in the 20 gauge discipline, are there any obsevations that should be noted and considered prior to purchase of either machine? Thanks for your help (and if anyone would like to sell a pristine unit of either, I'll be glad to take your offer into serious consideration. Thanks for all your help. Really appreciate the input!

Regards,
    Ken Flanagan

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I own both and load on the Grand. Absolutely no contest. Also, it's much easier to change gauges with the Grand. And no, I won't sell the 366, just in case.

3. Dale Z

Dale Z TS Member

I use a Hornady 366 and find it very easy to change bushings, shot size and amount. I purchased mine off of Ebay for less than $150.00, and have seen 20 gauge units along with the complete 12 gauge head and 20 gauge componets for sale in the recent past. I can load over 400 shells per hour with factory looking results. I have even installed a counter on mine which I would sell you all the componets for $24.95. I hope to post a picture of the counter system here on TS.com in the near future.

4. bobby ward

bobby ward Member

Ken,

You absolutely cannot go wrong with either machine although you might have to pay more for the Grand than the 366. I have both in 12 and 20 gauge. I load almost exclusively on the Grand's because I like all the newer features such as the powder and shot drop sensors. It is truly a dream to load on. That said, I loaded thousands of rounds on the 366's and until the Grand came along never found a machine I liked better.

5. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

My buddies 366 in 20ga might be for sale. He became gung-ho and thought he would shoot a lot of skeet and bought it. Well it is still like new. If you are interested I will get the details. Bryan

6. Raider Red

Raider Red Member

I would be interested in the 366!

7. Trifecta

Trifecta TS Member

Bryan (alias "Deercreek") I would be very interested in your friends 366. Please let me know if he is serious and what he is asking for it. I'm not quite used to other people jumping in to bogart someones initial request, as "the Claybuster" has seen fit to do.

At any rate, let me know. Thanks for your reply.

8. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

trifecta
    You weren't asking to buy you wanted advice. My advice is to get the tooling for the 20ga. and use your existing Grand. That's what I do. Richard

9. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a Hornady 366 in 20ga & the RCBS Grand in both 20ga & 12ga.in my estimation the Grand is the far superior machine. I have Quit using the 366. Please keep in mind that there is a hull length problem with 20ga. It seems that every brand & model are different lengths unlike 12ga hulls. This creates a crimp problem. I have learned to deal with this by seperating my hulls by length & depths & make minor adjustments to the crimp srarter & crimper. My friend has a MEC 9000G in 20ga. It seems to swallow everything he puts in it.
    Hope this helps. Bill Hom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.