1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RCBS The Grand Reloaders

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hillestadj, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hillestadj

hillestadj TS Member

I've been looking at these for quite a while and have run into what I think is a pretty good deal on one locally. I'm just looking for overall impressions from people who have actually USED one, not from guys that heard from a friends cousins uncle that they are junk because of X Y Z. Also, how good is the hull resizing on this machine. Is the raised base plate worth purchasing?

Also, I think I may be able to get a better price from the dealer if I buy 2 or more. If thats the case is anyone interested in one NIB at around $500+shipping?

Thanks in advance.
    Jake

2. Captain Smoke

Captain Smoke Member

Hello Jake, I purchased one a couple of years ago and I love it. The only problem I have had is the primers not feeding down the tube. I works fine now and I did not do any thing to it. Other than a spolar, in my mind, RCGS grand is the best loader on the market.

3. Ron(Oh)

Ron(Oh) TS Member

Jake,
    Go for it, I've had mine for several years and wouldn't think of swicthing and yes get the raised plate. I didn't think I would need it but it made the whole setup better. Any questions I can help you with email me and I'll try to answer your questions, just make sure if you do you use the subject of rcbs grand so I don't throw it out as junkmail..... Ron

4. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I have one of the first ones that came out. I have loaded about 100,000 rounds on it and before someone says they are not on par with PW, I also have three PW's on the bench. The Grand is the absolute best when developing loads with the ability to load only one shell at a time and not dump without a shell under the station. Also it handles a wide variety of hull brands with less fuss than other loaders. The primer station does miss once in a while...so what...so does everybody elses. Get in the habit of LOOKING at the primer slide and then you can actually take the hull out before powder is spilled, unlike the PW's (PW says you can but believe me it is a bear to do). There have been several modifications since mine came out and I have kept up with all of them. Hull sizer? As good as anybody's. On steel hull rims, I use a Supersizer and all problems go away. Yes this is an added step. I am retired so I have the time. Weak link is the plastic shot and powder shut off gates. If the machine does not cycle fully it becomes dimpled and then stops working. Takes about 30 seconds to change. Buy a few extra for about .60 each and don't worry about. You can forget loading reclamed shot. Tolerences are too close and grit build up will cause problems.Customer service is EXCELLENT!!! All used or broken parts are replaced free. I met and got to know Kent Sockomoto (I'm sure I butchered that one), the lead engineer and he is great. He had me send my loader and some components that I use to him and he gave me a complete rebuild and adjustment to my loads for free. Shipping only. Big Blue is good, RCBS is just as good.
    And just as with any equipment, there is a learning curve so be patient and think about any adjustment before you turn nuts and bolts. Move one stage and affect seven other stages. This ain't a 650 MEC. Conclusion, If I had only one loader, it would be the Grand.

5. warren

warren Member

I've had one for about a year and a half, so far I like it just fine no problems except no primer drop once in a while but as stated above they all do that. I've had a Grabber and a Dillon, the Dillon is the fastest but for me the Grand is the one I'll choose because of it's consistancy, it does load a fine shell.

warren

6. John55

John55 Active Member

I've had mine for about 8 months now, bought it used. It took some time to learn the machine...it's certainly not like a MEC! A visit to RCBS at the Grand for some problem solving and parts finally had it going correctly. It loads a great shell but like any machine, it isn't perfect. If you use a wad with thin petals such as a Fig. 8, one will often catch and fold under while being seated by the ram tube...have to watch that closely as the handle is pulled down. As stated by others, don't trust the primer feed to drop a primer on every stroke, visually confirm there's one in the carrier while raising the handle. Would like to see some type of wad pressure gauge like MEC uses, but otherwise it has all the bells. Would I buy another? Maybe, or maybe not. I spent 40yrs on MEC progressive models and just find them simpler to use and adjust...and the shells they produce are every bit as good.

7. ABH

ABH Member

Jake,

I've never owned a PW or Spolar, but I have owned two Mec 9000s. I now own two Grands. There is no comparison between the two machines. The Grand is the best bang for the buck, IMHO. Spolar may be better, but at 3x the price of a Grand, no thank you. Customer service also cannot be any better than RCBS. If you get a Grand, always have 10 or 12 primers in the primer tube. When you pull the handle down, watch the primer fall from the tray into the tube. On the up stroke, watch the primer slide from under the tube to under the shell. If you are looking in the right places, you won't have any problems. If primers are not going from the tube to the shell consistantly, the drop tube needs to be adjusted. Very easy. The manual explains this simple adjustment.

The only real draw back to the Grand is that you can only load 12 & 20 ga shells with it. RCBS doesn't make 16,28 or 410 dies for the Grand, and probably never will. The machine has some mass to it also. If you decide to buy one, you better have a stout loading bench. ART H.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rcbs grand problems