1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RCBS Grand?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tuscarora 99, May 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Hello everyone, i Iwas just wondering what everyones opinion on this loader is, and also what they cost and what are the pros and cons of them compared to a mec 9000 and PW 800B or 800+. Thanks in advance to all the helpful advice i Ireceive on here. Sincerely, Osker Reynolds.

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I evaluated mine against the Spolar and two of the PW models and chose the Grand. I have no reason to regret that decision. Best bang for the buck IMO.

3. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I have of the first ones and have loaded about 50,000 rounds on it. Everything above is correct about ease of operation and support. The only down side is plastic parts, especially the shot shut off gate. If it ever hangs it will become inoperable and have to be replaced. The key is keeping it clean which you should do anyway. I had a terrible time with reclamed shot even though I did my best to clean it. Ran it in a cement mixer and washed it several times. The grit just caused problems. I sent back shot gates and got new ones and ordered several new ones just in case and they were about a $1.00 a piece, no big deal. That is a overlooked item too; parts for the Grand when/if you do buy one is very inexpensive. I have two PW's on the bench and they do a excellent job but I find myself going back to the Grand for ease of operation and ability to adjust for a wide range of different thulls. It also loads Fed papers better than anything I have ever seen!I would sell either of my PW's before I would sell the Grand.

4. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Thanks guys. I was also wondering how many, quality, shells you can make per hour with this press.

5. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

I use a RCBS Grand and LOVE it. I do not reload for speed as quality is my primary consideration. But having said that I can still pump out 10 boxes per hour quite easily which includes setup and boxing time. The press will produce a finished shell as quickly as you can work the handle - I have watched the RCBS rep run the press at the State Shoot and he is super fast - he claims he can get 2 flats per hour so by his measure I'm slow. I take time to make quality loads and visually inspect as the hulls rotate around the carousel and then inspect again when I box and I stop and weigh a powder drop every 50 or so (drops are perfect - zero variation).

6. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

I agree, with everything said. RCBS "The Grand" the only way to fly. BRGII

7. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

I was wondering how much one of them went for? Used that is.

8. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

I have purchased two from this site - each was around $400 give or take.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.