1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

-----------RCBS Grand---------

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by wbill, Dec 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wbill

wbill Member

Does anyone have a RCBS Grand that can give me feed back on the pros and cons of the operation of it? And who is a good dealer to buy from? Bill

2. Jerry Parr

Jerry Parr Member

I have a brand new RCBS Grand 12ga.w/ the optional riser I won at the PITA Grand Pacific. I am in New Mexico and would make a nice deal on it if you like....Jerry Parr

3. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Great press! I have one and like it very much. It makes great reloads without making a mess. It's a little more complicated than a Mec, but easy to understand. I use to reload on 366's, but the Grand has made me a believer.

ss

4. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

Pros - makes nice shells, quick, easy to adjust, you can adjust each individual operation on each station

Cons - only comes in 12 and 20, very long stroke, no way to make electric

That's my opinion FWIW. I owned one for over a year then went to Mec. I load and shoot a lot of sub-gauge so it makes more sense for me

5. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I've had one for about a year now. They have some quirks but you soon reconize them. Everthing is guarented for life all parts. I will say if I need a part I have had them without question. Their is some things you can do to smooth things out even more. The machine is like a tank.
    That being said I still keep my mec 9000 on another desk for some specific loads I make up. Reason being I don't want to change over the rcbs often just for a few loads I may be flurting with.

Ther rcbs is very simple to set up. Wild Bill

6. warren

warren Member

I've had one for three years,I've had a Mec Grabber and a Dillon SL900 they are all good presses all give trouble with the primer feed the mec was the cheapist the Dillon the fastest but the Grand makes the best and neatest loads. just my opinion.

warren

7. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

Just keep a close eye on the primer feed, every once in a while it will fail to drop one and if you miss it you will have powder on the floor, other than that I think it's great, I cal load 350-400 an hour if I keep my eye on the shot and powder hoppers. Woody Sullivan

8. late bloomer

late bloomer TS Member

I've had mine since they first came out.(I also have a MEC 9000.) The Grand is a tank. You must be precise in adjustments for various stations on the press. Their service is outstanding. Parts are free. I strongly encourage you to replace the shell holders and their springs when they become a little loose or worn. I reload only 12 gauge shells. BTW I believe that every loader has a potential for slight primer problems.

I paid $479 dollars for mine from Gamaliel (2002). If you can get one for around $500, it will be one of the best buys you can make. It is not a Spolar. Nothing really compares to a Spolar. If you can afford a Spolar, get it. At this time i cannot justify the cost of a Spolar. The Grand is an excellent alternative.

Terry Sandlin

9. Jerry Parr

Jerry Parr Member

Let me research a fair price....it will def be lower than any new price you can buy one for....I am thinking 550-650 range....Jerry

10. Jerry Parr

Jerry Parr Member

$625 plus shipping.....includes the $30 riser for your bench. Never assembled.....Jerry

11. ABH

ABH Member

I have two of them and would never use anything else. Best bang for your buck.

ART H.

12. WIKI2ECHO

WIKI2ECHO TS Member

Bill
    I have a used one about 2-3 years old. Many parts replaced by RCBS(They are always free for all the parts you ever need). Just bought a Spolar so this is now available to sell. Email me if interested.

Bill

13. Racerx

Racerx Member

I have a mec and it's ok and I have a older Pw 800 which is great but once you get the load you want with good primer seating and crimp don't mess with the thing !!! there very temperamental !! and very little chance can give you a bad day :( long story short .. stay with the same hull,primer,wade !! As for the RCBS I can make many changes without stressing over different hulls ,primers and wades :) With my 800b pw(old style) that would never happen:( plus I love the power/shot not dropping if there's no hull in the rotation and yes it's more user friendly than a PW. As for a Mec there cheap and easy to use but find myself loving the RCBS better !! The only down side that I've had with the RCBS is I'm having side wall bending on the old stlye AA :( because of the softer plastic..yes I know I can adjust that but than I can't can run STS's,new style AA.Overall the RCBS is the best reloader for the buck if your using alot of different components. Now if you have the money like all of us do :) go get a Spolar !! and if you get tired of reloading you will always get 80% of your money back on the resale of it :) The best out there !!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.