1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RCBS GRAND

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by logross, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. logross

logross TS Member

Does anyone have any experience and/or opinion on reloading with the RCBS GRAND?

2. William Perry

William Perry Member

I have one. Parts are free (including shipping) no matter what. Just call them.

3. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

They are an excellent, effortless-to-operate loader that requires that you take the time to learn and understand HOW it works. If you don't, you will not get satisfactory loads and will break parts. But if you do, you'll love it! The only reason I sold mine was that my arthritic shoulder joint won't tolerate any kind of rotational movement, so I now load with a MEC 9000E and an ATS AutoMate II.

Ed

4. ABH

ABH Member

I have two of them in 12ga and a set of 20ga dies. The best reloader out there in its price range. The only draw back is that you can only load 12 & 20ga with it. They also make hydrolics for it, though I have not used it.

ART H.

5. logross

logross TS Member

Thanks, it had so many functions that I was looking for I just need some insight thanks for the responses. If anyone else would like to comment, please do

6. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I have three PW's and a Grand on my bench. If I only had one loader it would be the Grand. They are SOOOOOO flexible in ways no one else is. They are great for load development because you can load one shell at a time. Mine is one of the first and has loaded about 40,000 rounds, all hulls, all combinations. There have been several updates since mine was built and Kent Sokomoto at RCBS told me to send it back for a complete update and rebuild. He did---no charge.
    EXCELLENT!!!

7. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

I bought mine used. Couldn't tell you how many loads I have run thru it. I redently broke my toggle on the ram where the handle screws onto the toggle. I called RCBS. I told them my delima and before I could expain completely the told me one was on the way. 5 days later one arrived in the mail and I was back in business. I have never been let down by them. Wild Bill

8. canyonman

canyonman Member

I bought mine used and rcbs treats me like a preferred customer. I have three mec 9000's and although each is set up for a specific load, the rcbs grand is the machine that I'd keep out of the bunch.

Every station is easy to adjust, the machine is very smooth, the shot and powder stations are case activated, bushing changes are quick, and it will load any hull type out there.

Weighing almost 50 pounds, you will have to beef up the loading table and I recommend the high rise bracket to get better clearance. Can't go wrong. Bill

9. late bloomer

late bloomer TS Member

I have had mine since 2002.(Bought it after frustration with my MEC 9000, primer drops, and the inability to remove or add a shell at any station.) This is an outstanding flexible reloader. The service from RCBS is outstanding. They do not have serial numbers on the reloader and will provide free parts irrespective of when or where you bought it.

This is a very precise loader and you must take the time to "dial in" the load you are using. After you do this, the RCBS Grand is bullet proof. I am surprised that more people do not use it. Depending on your flexibility, you can easily do 450 to 600 shells an hour.

10. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The most important trick I learned from using mine was how to accurately set the wad seating depth. The plastic shot gate, which prevents shot from dropping when no hull is present, has to be at its full rearward travel for the wad to be seated on the powder. You get that travel where you want it by tailoring the length of the lower shot drop tube, which threads onto the upper shot drop tube and can be lengthened a little by adding knurled brass threaded washers between the two halves of the tube.

RCBS will give you plenty of those parts. I obtained numerous lower drop tubes and after determining what length worked best for each recipe I loaded, I cut a tube and labeled it for each one. I cut them a hair short and fine-tuned the length with those washers. The result was perfect shells; before I figured that out, I had lots of buckled hulls because my wad column was too high.

Another good idea is to use 20-gauge lower shot drop tubes. Because the Grand drops the shot at the station after the wad is seated, wad petals can be caught by the drop tube as it enters the hull; the narrower 20-gauge tube alleviates that but you can't load shot larger than 7-1/2 or you may experience bridging in the tube.

Lastly, an oddity is that shot that is dirty with anything, even excessive graphite, will bind up the shot gate. I once had a batch of Lawrence shot that was too heavily coated with graphite and caused the shot gate to stick in the rearward position. I've never used the stuff, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Grand won't cycle reliably with reclaimed shot.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rcbs grand 8 finger wad

rcbs grand reloader reviews

reclaimed shot for rcbs grand