1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RCBS Grand users...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by John55, Aug 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John55

John55 Active Member

Do any of you folks that use this reloader have it mounted with the riser stand? If so, is just the one adequate? Judging from the size of the holes the base plate has for mounting it directly to the bench, I can't believe just one of these risers will be sturdy enough to support the machine. Am I wrong?

2. howie

howie Member

Mine is mounted directly on the bench -- no riser.

3. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Mine is on the riser and it is rock solid.

4. pulllit

pulllit Member

The factory riser kit has two plates, left and right. What are you talking about with just one riser?

5. kofh2

kofh2 Member

I mounted mine on a dillon 550 strong mount. I like the height and that it doesn't hang over the edge of the bench. It too is rock solid. Walter

[​IMG]

6. John55

John55 Active Member

Pullit,
    I ordered the riser kit from Midway and it is a genuine RCBS riser, came yesterday and has only one plate in the box. I called Midway and the guy there said that's what is supposed to be there. I tried calling RCBS but they were closed and won't be open again until Monday.
    Also, I went ahead and put it right on the bench for now until I get this riser thing figured out. After reading through the manual I thought I would just cycle it a few times and see how it works. Pull down on handle, table goes up fine. Come back up with handle and the table stops a couple of inches before it should. Is there some hidden pin I need to remove so it will go completely down? I can't find anything in the manual.

7. kofh2

kofh2 Member

Check underneath the table. You'll find an indexing lever that needs to line up with the hole in both the table and turn table so it goes through both. Then push lever forward. Should operate thereafter. Walter

8. John55

John55 Active Member

kofh2- Got it! I like your Dillon mount, the extra height looks to be an advantage. I think the riser I ordered will go back and I'll order a Dillon mount like yours!

9. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

I have the factory riser and it is excellent - press doesn't move. Although I do like the look of that Dillon riser - very cool.

10. kofh2

kofh2 Member

John55, I take it you got your Grand to operate? As I mentioned those are strong mounts for a dillon rl550. You'll have to buy a piece of hardwood to bolt between the plates then mount your rcbs on that. Mine is a piece of oak (5.5"x.75"x10")that I purchased at Orchard hardware. One thing that was a bit annoying about the Grand was that primer jar that was hanging off the reloader and had to unscrew everytime you had to empty it.
    As you can see by the pic. I cut the tube and put a plastic "tub" under it.
    If you have any questions about operation or tips feel free to e-mail me. Just drop the x's. Walter
    [​IMG]

11. pulllit

pulllit Member

John55,

If you will go to the Midway web site and pull up the RCBS reloading accessories "riser stand" and look at the picture enlarged you will see that there are two pieces stacked together. One is for the left side of the reloader base and the other piece is for the right side. The sales person you talked to most likley does not have any experience with the riser kit. A call to RCBS and they will have another kit on the way pronto.

12. John55

John55 Active Member

pullit- I looked that picture over and I agree with you, there should be 2 pieces...which is why I posted this thread. That said, now that I have seen the Dillon mount shown above, I think the RCBS unit will be returned to Midway and I will get the Dillon instead.

Walter, I got it cycling properly and now just need to get the unit up and running. The included manual isn't very clear about making adjustments to suit various hulls, nor does it have a schematic/parts list, wonder why? Anyway, if I hit a snag I'll be in touch or post the question here. Thanks!

13. Trussman2

Trussman2 Active Member

John55.....I have the manual with the parts list in a pdf file. I think I downloaded it from the RCBS website. I can send you the file in an email if you like....

14. John55

John55 Active Member

Trussman2, thanks so much. I would surely appreciate having that so when you have a chance please send it to me at:
    siegler@charter.net

15. Trussman2

Trussman2 Active Member

PDF on the way......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

rcbs grand mounting

rcbs grand riser stand