1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RCBS GRAND thoughs + or -- please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hoffman06, Dec 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

I have the opertunity to buy a NIB RCBS Grand reloader for a good price. What are your thoughts on these loaders. Thanks in advance.
    Carey

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Try a "Search" on here and read the many threads of others who have asked the same question. I'm sure others will jump on soon and tell you how great they are though. Never used one myself.

3. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

They suck and by the way... what is the name and number of the guy selling it? HAHA

I have one and after "learning the machine" and getting the updated parts, it works like a champ. Great machine, not a PW or Spolar, but a great machine for the price...

Do the thread search and you will get a couple hours of "opinions" on the machine...

4. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

JUST GREAT!

5. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

I have a new 20 gauge and it is a great machine. Loads an excellent shell.
    Don

6. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

They suck save your money!

7. Paul in Mn

Paul in Mn Member

Had mine for 2 years. I've had a PW 800B, 9000G, and 9000H. I like my Grand. Wear parts are mostly plastic and easily replaced. New parts are free but have taken up to 10 days. I just stock up and keep spares.

Like all reloaders it has a learning curve and its own quirks. Shot and powder bushings can be changed easily, no collet to clean bb's from, no shot or powder dropped unless there is a shell. Handle pulls easy and is positioned better than the 9000G. Powder drops are very consistent.

Feel free to PM me for my phone # if you wish to discuss it further.

8. Troutslayer

Troutslayer TS Member

I have 2 RCBS Grands and they are flawless. I know several people that have them and wouldn't have anything else. The support from RCBS is absolutly fantastic. One of my loaders has 100,000+ loads through it. Yes it has wearout items but what doesn't? The parts and shipping are always free for lifetime not original owner.

Jeff Gerber

9. Titan Trap Team

Titan Trap Team Member

I have had two MEC's, a Grand and a PW. By far my favorite is the Grand.

10. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Thanks everyone
    Carey

11. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

The only thing I don't like is the plastic parts. I've broken a couple of the primer slide things. I've checked my adjustment on that and it seems correct.

Tinman is right about the sticky hull thing. I've had some problems with gun clubs and ended up giving them all away. Don't know if they expanded or what. Never a problem with STS hulls.

A little finicky to get the crimp set right. Had to modify my shot drop tube to get my crimps the way I wanted them.

Once set up, a really nice loader.

12. Quick 1

Quick 1 Active Member

I purchased a Grand early last summer and have loaded about 8,ooo shells on it so far. I had a short learning curve with it as you do most new loaders. I made an incorrect adjustment and messed up a couple of the plastic shell holders. RCBS sent me replacements free of charge and I have had no trouble since. I bought this loader to load first shot of doubles only so I woundn't have to change over on my PW. After seeing the nicest looking reloads I had ever loaded, and very rarely getting a less than perfect crimp, I use it for everything except my shells for the doubles. Whether it will stand the test of time like the PW remains to be seen. I am certainly happy with mine. They do have to be mounted on a very sturdy bench however. Mike

13. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I've had a few of the "better" loaders and the only one I kept for any length of time was my Grand - butter-smooth operation and unbeatable service. You will have to devote some time to learning how it works and once you understand that, adjusting it to suit you will be easy. "Tuning" the length of the lower shot drop tube will be paramount - it's the equivalent of adjusting the height of a MEC's shot drop/wad seating tube.

I sold mine when arthritis made any rotational movement of my shoulders painful and went to a 9000GN driven by an Automate.

Ed

14. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

MINE has a slight squeak but other than that it's great.

Woody Sullivan

15. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have the same problem with Gun club hulls. To me the ones that stick on the tube are thicker than the rest. I also mark those hulls an dump them after firing. Never have a problem with brass based hulls. Great machine. Great service and free parts. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.