1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RCBS grand / sts ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by T-rauw, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-rauw

T-rauw TS Member

I previously loaded sts hulls then went to AA and now I am back with sts but the problem I have, win. 209 primer does not seat correctly sticks out a little and didn't have that problem when I loaded before with the same loader and primer, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Troy

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Tony,

Someone stated on this forum a little while back about plastic intruding upon the primer pocket on some STS hulls. There was a drill bit used to clean up the primer pocket, but for the life of me I can't remember what size was used.

They had the exact same issue that you've got.

ss

3. T-rauw

T-rauw TS Member

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Troy, the STS has a lower basewad than the AA, so the seating ram has to be just a touch lower to fully seat the primer. Lower the die a little and the problem is solved.

BTW, W209 primers have a little reduced diameter step in them, so that they can be used in STS hulls with not problems. The plastic bit is only a potential issue when using F209A, or similar primers without the step.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

That previous post was me and it was concerning fed 209's in an STS hull. Good ole Virgil Perry figured it out. It is the same as mentioned above

6. T-rauw

T-rauw TS Member

Thanks for the tip zzt moved the die down a little and it set the primer great apprciate the information, thanks to all Troy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.