1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RCBS Grand Reloader Comments

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jerry Parr, Jul 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry Parr

Jerry Parr Member

Looking for feedback on the RCBS Grand reloader. I won one at a shoot last weekend and am not familiar with them...only loaded on MEC 650/9000G's previously. Any tips or comments would be appreciated....Jerry

2. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Jerry,
    I use a Grand and got mine from Kent at RCBS. He's a great guy as you know and their company's level of service is first class.

As for the reloader - it's awesome. I used to load on a Grabber but the Grand is far superior - it has a faster cycle time, more solidly built, lifetime warranty on parts, hull activated powder and shot drops so no more lame spills and you'll LOVE the huge powder and shot hoppers. I run a variety of hulls through mine including Fed GM's, Rem STS and Nitro and Win AA's and they all turn out perfect. Adjustments for different wad heights or hulls is easy and minimal at the most.

RCBS makes an optional "riser" stand for the Grand and I mounted my press to the riser, it gets the press a little higher and out away from the edge of the bench a couple of inches - look at the riser before you mount the press to your bench - if I remember correctly you're fairly tall and you might need the riser to get the press up to a comfortable level.

if you're ever out at Coon Creek again we have a Grand setup in the clubhouse - I'd be happy to walk you through the operation of the press anytime.

3. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

oh - and congratulations on a fine performance at the PITA Grand.

4. cmptrwz1

cmptrwz1 TS Member

It is a great reloader also the loader has a life time warranty so if you need any parts just call them and thay will send them to you great service

5. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

Kent had one setup at Kingsburg and walked me through the whole thing. I'm a newbie to reloading and I'm seriously (and I mean seriously) am considering buying one. It's a terrific reloader for the price, the service can't be beat and it puts out consistent reloads. What more can you ask for?

6. gsdesign46

gsdesign46 Member

Jerry, It was fun watching you shoot (and hit) the 27 yard doubles to win that relaoder. Greg

7. Jerry Parr

Jerry Parr Member

any other input??????? Jerry

8. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I have had ons since the first year they came out. I have loaded about 40,000 rounds on it. I have two PW, 800B and 2000 and still prefer the Grand. It seems to load a variety of hulls with less adjustment than the PW's.
    The only thing I would recommend is that you buy several shot drop gates. The little doo-hickey under the shot bottle that slides back and forth. If you ever, and you will, have this hang and it will put a rough spot in the gate and you will be out of luck until you get another. They ARE first rate on service but you are down until you get mail out and back.
    I will tell you two ways to stop this (the ONLY problem I have had) 1- Take a pair of C clamp vise grips and put them on the shot gate at front and frame at back to just hold the gate open. This negates the shot cutoff but you are still in business. 2-Use a dremel and cut about 1/8" inch off the shot gate slide and glue and piece of 1/8" square key stock to the top. The auto parts has a glue for plastic to metal that works just fine.
    You WILL love the loader!

9. seaone

seaone TS Member

Jerry,
    I loved my first Grand so much that a second 20 gauge machine was a no brainer. If I could make one little suggestion, buy a small mirror and glue it to the base under the powder drop station. That way if you have a situation where the primer does not drop, good chance you will see its not there before you pull down on the handle. Also, make sure you put 3 - 4 primers in the tube before you start loading. Thing is built like a tank and if anything goes wrong, the folks at RCBS treat you very well. You won't be dissappointed. Trust me!

Ken Flanagan

10. Golfbcc

Golfbcc TS Member

Hey Jerry,

I talked my father into buying one and what a mistake. He has had to just about rebuild everything on them. RCBS is good about sending parts but my dad finally threw it away. I don't know if he got a lemon or they just wear out real fast.

Steve Bigras

11. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I broke all kinds of parts on mine until I finally got it set up properly. I was very frustrated with taking everything apart and rebuilding multiple times. But then again, I can be hard headed and wasn't exactly following the suggestions from the RCBS guys to a tee.

I rarely have issues with the primers failing to feed now once I got the tube adjusted. This thing just loads, no problems for a long time.

So my advice, find someone that can show you in person how to adjust it, or go very slowly and observe the entire operation and you will see where adjustments need to be made.

Thinking back, my biggest problem was when a primer wouldn't drop every tenth shell or so, then I would have a mess with the powder. Even with filling the tupe up with a few primers there was still issues. After a few minor adjustments I found the sweet spot and have very few issues.

COngrats on your score.

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I also had one of the first ones and it was a test mule of sorts for RCBS. They would redesign something and send one to me to use until the loader was REALLY screwed up; then they'd send me another loader and take the first one back for evaluation. We did that three times and the end result was the very good loader you buy today.

THE most important suggestion I can give you is to take the time to study the loader to understand HOW it works. Suddenly, the mysteries of adjusting it will be solved. Until you do that, you WILL have buckled hulls and/or poor crimps.

The usual reason for the shot gate sticking is foreign material on your shot. Believe it or not, even graphite will cause that to happen because the clearance between the gate and the charge bar housing is so minuscule. I once opened a bag of shot and noticed a lot of grayish-black dust in the bag. Realizing it was graphite and knowing that graphite is a lubricant, I didn't give it a second thought until the gate froze. I had 40 bags of shot with that lot number but fortunately the good folks at Lawrence replaced the "dirty" shot with 40 bags from another lot.

I would still be very happily using mine if not for the pain I get in my shoulder from anything resembling a rotating motion. I don't care for the noise, clutter and leak potential of hydraulic systems, so when the AutoMate came out for MEC loaders, I got one to try along with a new 9000GN to use on it and send ATS a check instead of returning their equipment.

Ed

13. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jerry..... I had an RCBS Grand, and found it to be a pretty well built machine. Prior to the RCBS, I always loaded on a MEC 650, or my trusty 9000H. Now I'm not putting down RCBS, Kent, or any other supporter of the PITA, but, after trying to dial in the RCBS for a couple months, I went back to my 9000H. Granted, my RCBS was one of the first ones to come out and maybe the kinks I had with mine have been worked out by now. That being said, I will stick to my MEC 9000H because it works flawlessly, and has for years. I am also much more familiar with the MEC, and feel right at home loading with it. I know several shooters that are using the RCBS unit with great success so it must be a good loader or they wouldn't be using it. If you are a dyed in the wool MEC man, as I am, you will probably be back to your favorite MEC the first time you have any problems with the RCBS. I just never had the patience to get my RCBS working right so I didn't really give it the opportunity to prove itself. But then, I'm the type of guy that stays with what works best for me from the get go and not much of an "experimenter" with newer products that frustrate me..... Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

14. BRGII

BRGII TS Member

I have loaded with a RCBS for several years with no issues. Great folks at RCBS, best customer service I have ever been in contact with. BRGII

15. Jerry Parr

Jerry Parr Member

Thanx for all the info guys.....I am going to give it a try. With Kent as a consulting backup I do not think you could go wrong. Jerry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
how tall is the rcbs grand off bench
problems with rcbs grand

rcbs grand problems