1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RCBS Grand crimping problems

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by txkpistol, Sep 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. txkpistol

txkpistol TS Member

Can’t get my new 20 gauge Grand to crimp worth a darn. I don’t have the DVD to follow for help because it was omitted from the box. I’ve called and emailed RCBS requesting a replacement almost a month ago and it has yet to arrive. My work schedule is such that I can’t be at my loader when RCBS is open so I can call. Tired of sitting on the pot so I need your help.

Loading AA hulls with AA clone (Claybuster) wads and 7/8 oz # 9 shot, 15.5 grains of powder. The shot weights are consistently under and I seem to have plenty of hull left to make a perfect crimp.

1. I get a perfect factory looking crimp and a crushed hull.

(make adjustments)

2. I get a weak crimp and no hull crushing.

(more adjustments)

3. I’m now adjusted after 200 tries needing to eliminate the BB size hole in the middle of the crimp. The crimps are also not very consistent. Maybe 1 out of 8 slightly crushed and 3 under crimped and the others ok but the BB hole needing to be closed.

What do I do?

Thanks.

m

2. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have absolutely no crimping problems with old, compression formed AA cases with my Grand. the new HS cases are a pain in the A$$. 20 ga. is hard to load on a grand due to the varied length of cases. To get rid of the hole, try lowering the crimp starter 1/4 turn. I suggest that you find the time to call Kent Sakamoto at RCBS. He is the absolute expert on the Grand. My 12 ga. Grand is the best machine that I have ever used. Bill Hom

3. 330craigd

330craigd TS Member

You didn't mention if the hulls are the "high strength" hulls. I assume they are by the crushing problem you are having. The AA high strength hulls have different dimesions then the old AA hulls. Clone wads will not work in these hulls unless they are designed like the new AA wads. Do yourself a favor and buy a New bag of Winchester AA hulls and try them. I bet your problem will go away. I got this info from Alliant as I was having the same problem a few years ago on my 9000g when I started to reload 20ga for my son. There is nothing wrong with your Grand, however it may now be out of adjustment.

Hope this helps, please give me a call for more info, 330 819 0266. Craig

4. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Boy, does this thread bring back memories! I loved my Grand but you HAVE to spent the time learning HOW it works or you'll be frustrated as you now are.

Any time the hull buckles and your crimps aren't excessively deep, the wad column is too high. Don't agree? Well, here's a fleet of buckled hulls with crimps that have NO depth.

[​IMG]

So the solution is to lower it and you do that with the length of the lower shot drop tube. Ask RCBS for a couple of the long tubes and the knurled brass spacers that go between the upper and lower drop tubes. Here's the key to finding the right lower drop tube length. When the shot gate stops moving just before the operating handle reaches the "down" position, your wad seating depth is correct. Cut them to size with a hacksaw and then chamfer and deburr the saw-cut opening with the chamfering/beburring tool you use on your rifle brass after you trim it. Then fine-tune the length with those spacers. I often inserted an extra brass spacer just to make sure and to compensate for any "extra-deep" hulls.

To improve powder drop consistency, make sure that gate "bottoms" out just before the handle stops moving, too, by adding spacers.

[​IMG]

Once you get your head around how this loader works, it is an absolute dream to use. I would still have mine if an electric operator for it was available. As butter-smooth as the Grand is to cycle, the rotational movement was painful due to the arthritis in my shoulder.

By the way, for the 12-gauge Grand users, lower shot drop tubes made from the thinner lower powder drop tubes also solves the problem of the shot drop tube catching on wad petals.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
rcbs grand
rcbs grand crimp adjustments
rcbs grand cruxhing hulls
rcbs grand primer drop problems

rcbs grand problems

rcbs grand reloader problems

rcbs grand troubleshooting

reloading score hulls on rcbs grand