1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RCBS Balance scale?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by peculator, Jun 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peculator

peculator Member

I recently inherited a model 5-0-5 balance scale for weighing powder drops. In order to get it to zero out I have to add shot to the bottom of the holder. Is this normal in order to balance the scale? Thanks Kevin

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

No. I'm not sure how you added the shot but you shouldn't have to ever add anything. Screwing the base up or down with the big weight on zero and the small bar on zero as well should work. Make sure the pendulum is sitting correctly on the pivot spot. Jackie B.

3. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

If you cannot get it to balance by adjusting the screw that is the left foot, you can rebalance the arm. There is a small single screw on the bottom of the pan that opens a compartment where the initial tare weights are. You can add or subtract a little bit of weight there to get the initial balance. I would also try to find out why it changed. Did the pan get reoplaced? Did the hanger link get changed? Are the piose weights damaged? etc. Good Luck

4. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

Do you have the adjustment foot on the left side to make it go up or down to get a perfect balance ?

5. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Might the tab on the pan be broken off and missing? After 25 years mine has a stress crack. Now I know how to recalibrate it when it does finally fall off. TX.

6. Tom@eel

Tom@eel Member

Make sure the white nylon lock screw is in it's hole. It is located above the TENTHS barrel adjuster on my 10-10. Don't know if a 5-0-5 has it.

7. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Keven, My GUESS is that someone replaced the hanger and or pan itself. Its more than likely the reason you got it for free. I would add layers of tape to bottom or sides (of pan) to get it to zero out and then check scale with known weights and see how well it works, before I would open it up. Check scale with a friends and see how it reads. Good luck and Break-em all. Jeff

8. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

Some of the weight in the compartment under the hanger may have been lost. Get it to balance using weight and the foot adjuster on the end. You have a more accurate scale over the long run than the new digital scales. Slower yes - longer lasting accuracy - yes!

I use one of these to double ck my digital.

9. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Just for the record, it's a Balance. Scales are a different animal completely.

I know I'm being picky, but there is a difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to zero a rcbs 09070 scale