1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

RC Airplane meets 3 shotguns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 320090T, Jul 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8fjGMM1t1Y

2. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

Try this?

3. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

reminds me of Gator skeet and trap. There is a small airport next to the club. They would say! Please don't shoot at the airplanes. LOL! Todd

4. markostrunk

markostrunk Member

For the past couple of years the Vintage Cup at Pintail Point in MD has had a side show called The Gnat. It's an RC model flying wing with small explosive disks under the wing. The owner flies it by shooters who have at it with their shotguns. When a disk is hit, there is a satisfying orange smoke puff.

The Gnat's promoter comes with a couple of dozen wings and a supply of fuselages. Each shooter pays a fee for his turn to try to shoot it down. Much more fun than shooting clays.

5. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Try that with a 50BMG.....now that's a blast.

6. andybull

andybull Active Member

And what did these guys get out of shooting what seemed to be a real nice remote controlled plane? Who really shot it? After how many attempts? Maybe if there was something that exploded, or broke apart once it was hit, would have been more fun. How about having the object trail the plane 10 or so feet behind?

Boring and destructive.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

We used to fly wire controlled combat wings. You hhad a ribbon tied on and the object was to cut the other guys ribbon off.

It was a lot more fun to chew his elevator off too.

HM

8. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

Around 1956-57 my Mom and Grandad took my sister, brother, and me on a trip from Portland to Southern California. One of the stops was Disneyland. One of the "free" attractions was an exhibition like the one halfmile describes, with fly-by-wire model airplanes trying to cut the ribbons off each other. It was more interesting for a ten year old than many of the other attractions. The next time I was there, as a young graduate student in Pasadena, they no longer were doing it. Perhaps safety concerns had reared their ugly heads?

9. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Wire control combat fights as described by HM were a blast. Wouldn't mind finding a group doing it today.

Robert

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The wire controlled combat wings was fun. I competed in that event in the International Model Airplane Competition held at the Glenview Naval Air Station in Glenview, Illinois in 1950.

Since that time "combat flying" is done with radio controlled flying wings -the competition being the same, to cut off the other guy's ribbons. Shooting at these planes with shotguns may be fun, but the planes, motors, and radio equipment aren't cheap. One shot could cost a couple hundred dollars. Also the AMA liability insurance that nearly all flyers have would be void if anyone were injured. An out of control radio controlled airplane is dangerous, and people have been killed and injured in the past.

11. rich-s

rich-s TS Member

This looks like a blast. Why is there always some old fart stick-in-the-mud turdball(titewad2) that wants to worry about what the "anti's" think about something. And then to suggest pulling it off the website. Go get an enema, it may change your outlook.

12. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Well, all name calling not withstanding, it's a bad idea on a lot of levels. Model aircrafts and shooting do, however, share a common problem - noise. For that reason it is common to have model airplane flying fields and shooting ranges in the same location. The places I have been to that have both flying fields and trap shooting are: Triple B in South El Monte, California and the flying field across the road at Whittier Narrows; Capitol City Gun Club in Austin, Texas; Rend Lake in Whittington, Illinois; Markham Park in Sunrise, Florida; Flager Gun Club in Bunnell,Florida.

I think that having both facilities together helps in warding off the anti gun groups that try to close gun clubs, using noise as their excuse.

13. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

We use to do this with model airplanes hanging from a tree. Wow total distruction!

14. M-16

M-16 TS Member

I like DICKGTAX's point both sports make noise and with each near each other takes alot of the anti's fire power away to close one

15. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

DAMN, they pulled the video. I didn't see it.

16. andybull

andybull Active Member

You didn't miss a thing, just some guys with shotguns shooting at a model airplane, never knowing whether they were hitting it or not. Quite honestly, they seemed to be poor shots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
radio controlled airplanes to shoot at

shooting remote planes event