1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ray Stafford

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Scoutman 06, Aug 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

For the record, how old is Ray Stafford & is he the oldest guy to be HOA at the Grand? John

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

He is 61 I think. Thats not old as I am older than that and I am not old either!!

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

Old age is 15 years older than your present age.

Don

4. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Here's a better question. How in the world does someone stay THAT competitive for what?, 30-40 years? When I started(1976)Ray was one of the top "dogs". Amazing to me how he can keep the drive going.

AJ100

5. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Another Piddy Stupid Statement:-(

FRedmon

6. Bozeman

Bozeman TS Member

Gail Morrel is also from Colorado. Maybe there is something in the water.

JP

7. Little Dog

Little Dog TS Member

So FREDMON, are you trying to make the absurd claim that trap shooting is an athletic event?

8. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Oh Little Dog has come out of his dog house to play:)

FRedmon

9. Andy44

Andy44 Active Member

Watching Dan Bonillas shoot is nearly as much fun as shooting itself! The man has been doing it great for a LOT longer than most. What style!

10. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

I have been told that I shoot a lot like Ray---------------Ray Charles, that is.

11. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

Ray is one of those "freaks of nature" who was simply born with almost superhuman talent. I don't know if it's true, but there's a story that back when he was shooting OT on the USAMU in the sixties, one time he just tried the running target rifle event - for fun - and beat everybody. As I say, I don't know if it's true, but the fact that I can easily believe it says a lot. -JW

12. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Ray qualified for the Olympic Skeet team when he was on the trap team. Did not compete in skeet though. Just tried out to try out becasue they were short on shooters. The first year he went to the Colorado Sporting Clays Championship he won it but they screwed him out of the money/prize making up up some rule that he had not shot enough and therefore was not qualified to compete. They now have that rule in the program. He is a great shotgun pointer. I would like to see him, Wayne Mays, Todd Bender, and Harlan go to the world all around and see the format less biased to sporting clays.

13. jbbor

jbbor Active Member

Ask Ray about his "custon made", "one of a kind" Seitz gun. Ask him and Randy about shoting trap with 22 shorts at the old Mile High club.

14. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Then there was the time that Ray and Bonillas tied for the Western Zone Singles Championship with 200 and after 100 in the shoot-off Sid Pleasant came ambling up with a 100 dollar bill in his hand. He offered the 100 to the winner if they would finish from the hip. Final score Ray 23 Dan 5.

15. handlepuller

handlepuller Well-Known Member

Really neat to see Ray win this event.

Heck of a score too.

16. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Phil, Stories like that are the BEST. Like the guy on here who shot 50 straight at bunker with a single barrel. Absolutely unbelievable, yet TRUE. Someone should write a book on "Trapshooting's Believe it or Not". Thanks-Graham.

17. Bozeman

Bozeman TS Member

I was lucky enough to be there and see the shootoff between Ray and Dan. One of my great trapshooting memories.

JP

18. lc

lc TS Member

And just an all around nice guy, as is his wife.

19. B682GX

B682GX TS Member

Aren't his initials the "RS" in the MX-10RS?

20. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

In 1968 when I was on Fort Benning's pistol team, I used to hear a lot of shooting up the hill and a little distant. At lunch time I drove up there and watched the All Army trap team shoot. Each guy with a couple guns by them and at least 6 or 7 flats of ammo stacked next to each. Shoot and shoot and shoot, no breaks for a long time. Ray was one of them. We talked about that one time at the Grand. Aden Kauffman was out in Colorado at the time and was at several shoots in the early 70's when Ray got out of the Army. He told me recently that NOBODY worked harder than Ray, even getting there very early to shoot patterns, and talk with his machinist guru about possible barrel modifications. Shooting tons and trying everything that could possibly help. This after many tens of thousands of birds on the Army's dime already.

Also, Ray used to race drag boats, that used to do 150mph or something! I like speed, but that would scare the hell out of me! Besides being a great shooter,
    Ray has some real guts too!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.