1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Ray Stafford 399x400

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by eric, Sep 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eric

eric TS Supporters TS Supporters

Ray Stafford shot a 399x400 last weekend at the Western Grand in Spokane, Wa missing his 396th bird. The squad was crusing along and the trap ran out of birds breaking the concentration and along came the miss after things got started again. After the miss, he just acted as if nothing happened and finished out the handicap for a 99 and did not make any excuses or blame anything/anyone other than saying "I just missed it".

He was a perfect gentleman and is a great example of a world class shooter.

Eric Olson

2. ronbo142

ronbo142 TS Member

A 400x400 is quite possibly one of the last remaining achievments that is truly rare!

Great shooting!

Semper Fi

Ronbo

3. Two Dogs

Two Dogs Well-Known Member

Ray Stafford is a first class shooter, and a first class gentleman.

4. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

two dogs.....yes he is !!! Uncle Sam, Pa.

5. darwinbene

darwinbene Member

Way to go RAY! You are still Number #1.
    Ray never says anything about targets being bad, he just shoots them. His shooting ablity is un-questionable. He is truly a GENTELMAN.
    Thank you Ray for being an inspiration for me and any other shooter who tries to improve.

Darwin

6. white rattler

white rattler Member

Ray was on the squad behind me all week and I watched him shoot his new TM 9. What can one say, he is one of the Big Guns. I would also like to thank Spokane for putting one a first class shoot. Good targets good food and a great City. Thanks again. Trevor Dawe.

7. snowbird

snowbird TS Member

Congratulations Ray! That is really a great score, see you in Missouri.

Terry.

8. mx8dave

mx8dave Member

I got to score when Ray broke his 100 st in the doubles ,,I also ran the shoot off Margerie ,,she won also ,,a couple of really neat people ,,The weather was a little tough also ,,but Ray made it look easy ,,,D.Lang

9. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Great shot, sense of humor, nice guy with whom to talk...good to have ambassadors like this in our sport. Gives the rest of us another hero to admire.

Congratulations on the good shooting!

10. michmoe

michmoe TS Member

Truely a class act...Still remember the time at last years Grand when I had a trigger problem and he and Mr Kiner was shooting in the squad behind me.Without hesitation he and Phil took the trigger out,fixed the problem and gained an immense amount of respect from me.This was right before they were to start shooting the Clay Target Championship.How many other big dogs would have done this? I have nothing but respect and good wishes for them both! Hugo "Moe" Rinke

11. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

I have shot with Ray a lot over the last 30 years and attest to the fact that not only is he a great shot and competitor he never complains about the targets etc. When you are on Ray’s squad you shoot the targets as they are, no prima Dona resets to make them perfect.

A few years ago at the Grand we were having trouble with cross-calls. Ray was getting ready to shoot and had just set his release when a cross-call target appeared at the same instant. Reflexively he let his trigger go and without hesitation looked over at the scorer and said lost target. This happened a couple of times and cost him the Grand HOA and all he said was it was his responsibility.

The same for lost targets, he will always “take a target away” from himself. One year during the doubles championship at one of the satellite Grand’s one of his second targets had a puff of dust and a small piece. The scorer call dead pair and when it was Ray’s shot he questioned the call and since I was the only one that saw the piece (beside the scorer) he insisted on calling it lost. He ended with a 99.

These are just a couple many similar stories I could tell but, they give a true sense of the kind of guy Ray is.

I truly hope that one of these days both Ray and Bob get a 400.

12. La Leyenda

La Leyenda TS Member

I would just like to thank Ray for allowing me the honor of shooting with him this past week. I don't think I have met a more straight up shooter than Ray. Like Phil spoke of in the previous post, Ray took a target away from himself that the puller said he hit, and stopped the squad when I "dusted one" really hard to see if anyone saw a piece. My DB 81 broke a hammer spring and he had the gun out of my hand and changed out the spring before I knew what happened.

He never once made an excuse for missing a target, and was just incredible to shoot with.

I would like to thank everyone for coming to Spokane, and congratulate everyone on shooting so well. Teresa and John, you have no idea how much I appreciate all your help. Sorry I got lucky in the shoot off John.

Bob McLendon

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Me thinks Ray likes his new Tm9x. Maybe we should call it the "Ray Gun."

14. orange crusher

orange crusher Member

Great Shooting to Ray Stafford for breaking the lone 100 in doubles and an amazing handicap score (99) in some seriously tough conditions. Sunday in Spokane we had some very rough light conditions with mostly cloudy skys - those puffy white and dark clouds that eat those orange-dome targets and move shadows across the trap fields - as well as variable winds that moved targets in multiple directions. I, as well as most everyone was amazed to find four 99's on the scoreboard after the handicap. Gerry Williams missed his 98th target with Barry Kemper and Mark Iksic missing earlier, but holding on to finish with 99's. Great scores!!

Spokane is an excellent facility and a great venue for this tournament. Teresa Kohn (who also had a great tournament while working long hours!!) and I are happy help and volunteer our time in cashiering this event so that that money can go back into the club for future improvements. It is our hope that we will see the Western Grand as well as other events return to Spokane and continue to grow and get better.

I know Spokane Gun Club is already working on making several improvements to their facility that will only make future shooting there even better. I would encourage folks to check their shooting schedules for the coming year and put the Spokane Gun Club events on their calendars - you won't be disappointed!! We do appreciate all those people who traveled very long distances to shoot this tournament and we hope they will all return and bring their friends next year.

Bob, I will be back to get even for the shootoff. You shot great and I let a couple slip away. Keep up the good work!!

John Adams

15. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Ray is definetly one of the sports true gentlemen. A great guy and very talented barrel pointer who deserves everyones respect for the person that he is.

A BIG CONGRATS for the shooting.

16. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Does Ray Stafford have a website for his gun business? If so, could someone please post it here? Thanks and Regards, Ed

17. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

Ray does not have a website.

His cell is 303-912-3819 it is ok to call his cell as that is what he lists in his ad.

18. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Phil Kiner, thanks for the info! Ed

19. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

I think this is Ray Stafford's website:

http://milehighshooting.com/index.cfm?id=73032&fuseaction=browse&pageid=41

Ted K.

20. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

Now if Ray had taken one of Phil's clinics he just might have got that 400 come on Phil give him a free-be. On a serious note I would just like to thank both you and Ray for being the type of people that make this sport so great your love of the sport and willingness to help all of us to improve is a big reason you both are so well liked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ray stafford

ray stafford guns

ray stafford shooting
ray stafford shooting careere
ray stafford shooting supplies
ray stafford tm9
ray stafford trap
ray stafford trapshooter