1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Raw Lead Prices

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jakearoo, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Hmm. Maybe we should be investing in lead futures to offset our shooting expenses. Jake

2. leadvail

leadvail Member

Wow !

I've been buying all I can every payday @ 37.99 since I got burned not buying it when it was 31 .99 / bag @ sportsmans 6 mo. ago 'cause no way it could go up they said . Boycott it they said . It will come back down they said . Shoot less they said .

Bob

3. leadvail

leadvail Member

I didn't know I used so much untill I started saving the bags for people who shoot reclaim . Man , I got 30 bags for just 5 mo. or less . Geez , and now my wifes shooting too .

I am using 50 bags a year . Ow!

4. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

A fire reported in a mine located in Australia caused todays spike. Supplies are that tight on the world market.

5. leadvail

leadvail Member

Nyttro ,

Well , its gonna catch up in factory loads too .

So I guess we all will be boycotting even if we don't want to .

Can you say $11 ,12 bx. AA or STS. or more a year from now at wallys ?

Its like gas . You can't stockpile enough .

And shot makers , is it true no more wheel weights made from lead ?

6. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Several on here have convinced me that no matter how much it costs, loading 1 1/8 oz. of shot is the only way to go. I foolishly thought cutting back to 7/8 oz. loads - saving about 28% on expended lead - might keep me shooting, but, heck, why try? Just economize - cut out the cable TV, beer refreshments, newspaper and magazine subscriptions, eating out on birthdays and anniversaries and only go to 3 or 4 shoots per year...there are ways to keep loading those max. loads. Funny, when I switched to 7/8 oz. at 16 yds and 1 oz. from 23 yds back to 27 my scores were the same as with the heavy loads...but more is better. Best Regards, Ed

7. leadvail

leadvail Member

Well , its more like 70% increase on westcoast shot , 50% on w209 primers and 10% on powder where I buy mine since last October.

So that equates to more than 20% on factory ammo in the near future .

I am using more 1 oz. loads for practice now . But how many All Americans or shooters in the winner circles at the larger state shoots are using 1 oz. , where you miss one your done . Not many .

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

hairy did give us a nice graph illustrating the spot price of lead for the past 12 months. I wish he would post a similar graph for the price of lead for the next 12 months. Looking at the graph, it seems fairly certain that over the next 12 months the price of lead will go up more, or stay the same or fall.

Pat Ireland

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Why don't you guys look at the bright side of the price increase. Soon clubs will be paying you to shoot a round of trap, since the value of the lead shot left at the range after shooting a round will be far more than price the club charges to shoot. And as the price of lead continues to rise clubs will give you a rebate on your dues calculated on the number shells shot per year and the weight of your load. So go ahead and shoot 1 1/8, not to worry, your rebate will be bigger. HMB

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Those of us who were around this game in the 70's saw lead shot prices peak around $21/bag. It sure plummeted rather quickly. Can anyone remember what our wages were back in those "old days"? Didn't two brothers lose a fortune manipulating silver prices awhile back?

I see a few parallels here again-maybe!!

11. Baber

Baber TS Member

Guys:

Just remember for every 1/8 oz you cut you get an extra 50 rounds a bag. I have been shooting 7/8 for years as its been mandated in bunker shooting since the mid '90's. Shot some good scores with the lite loads. Lead will come down but it will be a while before it floats through the marketplace. I currently have about 15000 rounds in inventory plus some shot at about $30 a bag so I can weather the storm.

TB

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You're dreaming. The price of lead will never come down. Check the Yellow Pages, see if you can find a lead mine listed. HMB

13. rjdden

rjdden TS Member

Just in my mind and hart I believe they are pushing more and more for the use of steel shot and getting away from lead shot entirely. Rich.(inPeoria,A.Z.)

14. tencows

tencows Member

As I read this thread and look at the graphs posted, it reminds me of the 26 years in the investment management business. Investors think that prices will never come down on that commodity. Please remember this thought. Every boom ends in a bust. Look at present day situations with the sub-prime market. Go back 7 years and look at the tech market. Yes, this is trying times for shooters and gun clubs. A tree doesn't grow to the sky forever. I try to offer a solution to this problem with our youth team. Practice dry firing and visualization exercises to cut down on the cost of sending lead through the air.
    When was the last time you shot a perfect 200 round in your mind?
    Dennis B. Groce SC SCTP Director

15. zondsix

zondsix TS Member

This is not really about lead. Greenspout and his buddies the CHi-coms are causing
    this mess. Had we listened to George Washington and not gotten involved in all this nonsense....So there is no inflation huh? wonder that they call this?

16. Baber

Baber TS Member

Guys....

The sky is not falling here. There are some fundamental economic forces at work. There is not enough new lead mined each year to meet demand therefore a lot of the demand is supplied by recycling. Car batteries are not going nuts like this because they have a recycling program that dampens out these type of swings. We know a local battery recycler is only offering .60 a pound right now and is getting all he needs. One of the things we are going to have to start doing is setting up our clubs to easily reclaim the shot. They are doing it in europe right now with shot curtains and other schemes. If we can easily reclaim the shot we can pass the returns on to the club membership and dampen out these swings.

Lead will come down but not until more sources come on line. I believe we are over the worse of it and suspect to see lead near or even below $1 a pound in the next 12 months.

TB

17. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ya know TB ... in about 12 months when prices do come down can you imagine how many people will be crying about how much expensive shot they own and that they should have never ever listened to everyone and bought all that they did???

Gonna be funny to see them moan and groan ... gonna be fun.

18. balance365

balance365 TS Member

Its too early to say, but looking at lead stocks, (ref. kitcometals.com) they are increasing over the last couple of weeks. As the stocks go up, the price should begin to fall. Maybe stabilization, if not relief could be sooner than later.

19. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

My $.02 worth. None of us on this site knows where the price of anything to include the price of lead, oil, whatever, will end up. Will it continue to rise or will it stabilize or will it spiral downward? If we knew this we would all be rich. I happen to feel that, as lead is a commodity like anything else it will stabilize. Will it come down? I don't know; my "crystal ball" is being repaired. What I do believe is this; I think lead will reach it's peak in the near future. Then in a matter of time you will see a downward trend, with the normal fluctuations as you see in many other commodities. (Take gold for instance). Will we ever see $20 shot again? Probably not. But I believe you will see $25-$30 shot again and that is where it will "come to rest" when the dust clears. (Give or take a couple of bucks) That's my feelings. Ed

20. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The price of lead will never come down. The demand for lead will always be greater than the supply. Do you understand? HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.